Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

ENTERTAIN ME

Started by IN WAVES, Jun 18, 2014, 06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IN WAVES

I saw the movie on Youtube. It was pretty awesome to watch that period in their lives, specially seeing Chi and how cool and chill he was. :)
The part that got me was how Chino's voice started changing for the worse three quarters of the way through the movie. He kept using that throat spray over and over again to get through the shows, it seems. Seeing how he never quite got his full range back, it's pretty sad.

I've been wanting to see this movie for almost a decade, I can't say I was disappointed in it.

DeftonesNZ

His vocal chords are apparantly sweet now though, he had partial paralysis but he said in a recent interview that he did regain full movement so if he's having trouble with his range it's not from the paralysis he had then as he has said the Dr said they were all sweet, I think with his range it's just a case of them getting inflammed with use,it doesn't some to be permanent because he has his range in studio and at the start of tours but the shows kill his voice pretty quick.

Bifrost

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jun 18, 2014, 07:10 AM
His vocal chords are apparantly sweet now though, he had partial paralysis but he said in a recent interview that he did regain full movement so if he's having trouble with his range it's not from the paralysis he had then as he has said the Dr said they were all sweet, I think with his range it's just a case of them getting inflammed with use,it doesn't some to be permanent because he has his range in studio and at the start of tours but the shows kill his voice pretty quick.

His voice has definitely changed though over the years, but I guess that's true with all singers... but going back watching those old videos during the ATF and Early WP era's his voice was pretty damn awesome, he could go from full on scream to crooning pretty easily, now it's chore for him, no doubt... still has an awesome voice though, it's so unique...

Bifrost

Quote from: IN WAVES on Jun 18, 2014, 06:54 AM
I saw the movie on Youtube. It was pretty awesome to watch that period in their lives, specially seeing Chi and how cool and chill he was. :)
The part that got me was how Chino's voice started changing for the worse three quarters of the way through the movie. He kept using that throat spray over and over again to get through the shows, it seems. Seeing how he never quite got his full range back, it's pretty sad.

I've been wanting to see this movie for almost a decade, I can't say I was disappointed in it.

I finally got to watch it this last year and I really enjoyed, it really took me back to that time, when I was partying hard and me and my GF were growing apart, kinda reminded me of Chino and Celeste :( 

Still there was a lot of great memories

DeftonesNZ

I think making that transition so often is what has done it, maybe he's still capable of it not really sure could be a case of he's more aware that it'll fuck up his voice so he preserves himself a bit , i heard an interesting interview with maynard from tool and he said screaming a whole show or singing a whole show is easy but switching between the two just destroys your voice and that's basically what Chino's been doing for ages and when you add in what a big touring band they are you can see why his voice could be not as good as it used to.

Diplo

He lost more than half of his capacities for me, except maybe in studios if he tries a lot to match any notes but he totally fucked up his voice with the time. Just try to match his scream (or any singer in metal scream) and you will see if you can switch between sing and scream. More you scream, more you can adjust the scream, but talking or singing right after is really hard, even if you have experience or technique.

Now he is not pushing his voice to her limits to preserve it, but every time I see Deftones in live, in the two or third songs his voice seems to be really high like he have sucked Helium... So for me he preserves but he doesn't prepare his voice before the show so it's a little dumb for me.

DeftonesNZ

Yeah i think maybe it's old habits there was a small time right after diamond eyes came out where he sounded awesome I think that was a time when he went healthy lost some weight and cut his drinking which can really help your voice, either the way i'm not really bothered he's fine in studio and you don't really go to concerts to hear straight copies of the studio recordings they've always said when talking about their live performances that their not going to be a super tight live band and that they have bad days but they say it just shows their geniunely up their doing it and as such are prone to mistakes not like some lip syncing pop act, I remember stef especially saying it makes everyshow unique, they may be perfect or a bit off either way  your not just getting a real time experience.

Diplo

pony_01

ey, what makes deftones, deftones, is their live performance. i love the way they sounded raw on stage and i dont really think they should be perfect on their live performances like any other bands. just listen to mp3s and you can play a thousand times over and over again without chino missing his notes or abe forgot his drum part.
i love the deftones man..

Diplo

After all it depends on the expectation of each. For me I will go with a "not perfect" sound for Deftones.
I just want them into it, with energy and some craziness. Damn every time I saw them I see Chino smiling and enjoying the crowd. I can't say that for a lot of groups.

Teknoman

I remember watching an old interview (around SNW era I think) where Abe said he likes to play slightly different drum fills during live shows because its fun but Stef wants him to play the drum fills exacty like its on the record, LoL... maybe Stef changed his mind over the years.

I make music too

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: Teknoman on Jun 21, 2014, 05:00 AM
I remember watching an old interview (around SNW era I think) where Abe said he likes to play slightly different drum fills during live shows because its fun but Stef wants him to play the drum fills exacty like its on the record, LoL... maybe Stef changed his mind over the years.
Maybe i don't think he was talking about liking variation in that sense i think he was more talking about the variation that comes from them being live musicians where mistakes may happen, i also saw a esp interview where he echoed the same sentiment about his playing, he said ultimately he's seeking perfection but he's equally happy with the mistakes.

Freedomsoldier17

I always thought Abe didn't get enough recognition for that drum solo in the bridge of Rats!Rats!Rats!

Diplo

Abe and Chi are freaking awesome in SNW.

luisch

Quote from: Freedomsoldier17 on Jun 22, 2014, 02:51 AM
I always thought Abe didn't get enough recognition for that drum solo in the bridge of Rats!Rats!Rats!

This.
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

Teknoman

Quote from: Diplo on Jun 22, 2014, 12:05 PM

FUCKING THIS!

Drum wise my overall favorite album is SNW and I'm not talking about the actual sound but how Abe wrote his drum parts. If you play drums you know that most of the songs on SNW are really difficult to play... hole in the earth, rats, rapture... even cherry waves! its not a fast song but some of the drum patterns are insane (i.e. the interlude).

And most people here hate Mein but I really enjoy listening to that song because the groove on the drums is so awesome.

IIRC the producer (Bob Ezrin) played an important role on how the drums sound (I think he is also a drummer) and Abe wasnt the happiest man when he was on the studio with Ezrin but IMO it payed off.

I make music too

Diplo

Cool to see the point of a drummer.

Since we have the instrumentals from snw I appreciate more Mein.

defTHE1s

Quote from: Teknoman on Jun 22, 2014, 11:25 PM
Quote from: Diplo on Jun 22, 2014, 12:05 PM

FUCKING THIS!

IIRC the producer (Bob Ezrin) played an important role on how the drums sound (I think he is also a drummer) and Abe wasnt the happiest man when he was on the studio with Ezrin but IMO it payed off.
And this.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...