Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

DE Vs. KNY

Started by Sicario, Aug 04, 2014, 04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sicario

For some reason I am interested in this debate. These two albums are, for the most part, considered their two weakest albums by most fans. So now that some time has passed since KNY was released, which of the two do you prefer?
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

DeftonesNZ

Probably KNY I like the more intricate instrumentals, the outro/intros and the multiple interweaving guitars just seem a step up musically of DE, I like DE but it was all a bit simple Stef was only really using the low strings, Chino hardly played guitar and Sergio just seemed to follow whatever Stef was doing. Basically you can tell DE was made in a short amount of time whereas the songs on KNY sound more fleshed out with more layers, Stefs playing alone is alot more expansive he strays from the low strings alot more and his riffs have more contrast  he also introduces newer techniques like tapping and tremolo picking, Chino's guitar presence really adds to the songs as well, he plays around Stef alot, when Stef is playing the heavy stuff Chino's playing is quite pretty and goes with the stuff Frank does.

Shadow46/2

Quote from: Heisenberg on Aug 04, 2014, 04:51 PM
These two albums are, for the most part, considered their two weakest albums by most fans.

wut

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: Shadow46/2 on Aug 04, 2014, 06:08 PM
These two albums are, for the most part, considered their two weakest albums by most fans.

wut
it's probably true for alot of older fans, saw of ton of people on here who have been fans since adrenaline say they don't like the post SNW material, alot wouldn't call them the weakest albums but would defnitely say they weren't the best either

Sicario

wut

That's why I said for the most part. I am sure there are exceptions. But most people from what I can tell prefer ATF, WP and Adrenaline. So rather than ask the age old question of which of those are the best, I figured I'd go with the two most current albums. Generally speaking most bands get softer with age which I think a lot of people take as a bad thing. KNY is obviously not as heavy as their earlier work.
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

Penicks

wut

are you telling me that you prefer snorefests like risk, diamond eyes, 976 evil, what happened to you, sextape, beauty school, what happened to you, tempest and entombed over anything else they released prior?

fucking diamond eyes man, jesus christ what a turd of an album, i get so pissed off just thinking about it

koi is better but it's proof that this band will not be able to generate the atmosphere of its first six albums, i'm glad chongo's making some good stuff with his side projects though, fucking palms is absolutely amazing once you get over the tinny production values

DeftonesNZ

it's just personal taste in the end, the new albums just appeal to people for different reasons, i'll admit I love the earlier albums more than the last two but I also like DE and KN, I can see why people would not though even though they are all from the same band they appeal to a different area of my taste than the old stuff, I listen to wide range of music from real heavy gritty stuff to real pretty soft sounding material so all the albums fit in somewhere but I could see how people with more concentrated tastes wouldn't like them.

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: Penicks on Aug 04, 2014, 06:46 PM

wut

are you telling me that you prefer snorefests like risk, diamond eyes, 976 evil, what happened to you, sextape, beauty school, what happened to you, tempest and entombed over anything else they released prior?

I'd take 976-Evil and Tempest over anything on Adrenaline and Around The Fur, to be honest.

Penicks

mono

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Aug 04, 2014, 07:03 PM
I'd take 976-Evil and Tempest over anything on Adrenaline and Around The Fur, to be honest.

N0S3BLEED976

Edit: Maybe not over BQAD, though...

deftones47

I'll agree with N053BLEED976 on DE and KNY being better than Adrenaline. Not ATF though.

That being said, KNY still provides the worst Deftones album ender ever.

"What Happened to You?" is boring. Bleh.

KNY is par with their top releases.

Decay of older sounds but the subtle reflection of their overall sound shines through.
A beautiful and well flowing record.

and if you hate   "What Happened to You?" good for you.

Come back to it in time .

mono

defTHE1s

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

myownsummer

The "VS" you are suggesting doesn't even exist. Both are appreciated.

I liked KNY at first then it made me feel like shit after Chi's death. I can't enjoy the album as I'd like. I really CAN'T. The feeling of knowing that something has been lost makes me SAD.. it's like being missing in somewhere and not being able to comeback/remember how to comeback. Nostalgia.

So, I prefer DE above Koi.. basically is the sound that i'm expecting of "new" Deftones.

sing blue silver

Quote from: myownsummer on Aug 10, 2014, 07:46 AM
The "VS" you are suggesting doesn't even exist. Both are appreciated.

I liked KNY at first then it made me feel like shit after Chi's death. I can't enjoy the album as I'd like. I really CAN'T. The feeling of knowing that something has been lost makes me SAD.. it's like being missing in somewhere and not being able to comeback/remember how to comeback. Nostalgia.

So, I prefer DE above Koi.. basically is the sound that i'm expecting of "new" Deftones.

Uuhhhh... Chi wasn't on DE either so shouldn't that album make you feel exactly the same? And he was 'alive' (though who can really call that living) for the release of both albums so it's not like either album really had different circumstances. They're both albums that were done with Sergio and zero input from Chi whatsoever. I guess I just really don't understand what you're saying there.

Personally I'll take KNY over DE any day. I enjoy both but KNY just feels more complete, cohesive and has a bit of an etherial vibe that I appreciate.

Bifrost

wut

Yeah I don't know what you are talking about, I haven't heard anyone say that  ???

I mean I get it, in music especially its always cool to shit on the newest stuff and I know there are still a hand full of deftones fans out there that haven't liked anything past ATF but I think DE and Koi are both solid albums... SNW is the weakest in my opinion.

VictorPL

kny is way better, DE was a bit too poppy for me, KNY is a return to form IMO

currently i would rate their albums as follows

- WP, S/T, SNW (impossible to say which i like the most, these are the albums i grew up on)
- ATF
- KNY
- Adrenaline
- DE

Penicks

Quote from: Bifrost on Aug 11, 2014, 10:34 PM

wut

Yeah I don't know what you are talking about, I haven't heard anyone say that  ???

Date Registered:
    Oct 23, 2011, 03:35 AM

makes sense