Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

DE Vs. KNY

Started by Sicario, Aug 04, 2014, 07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myownsummer

Quote from: sing blue silver on Aug 11, 2014, 09:13 PM
Quote from: myownsummer on Aug 10, 2014, 10:46 AM
The "VS" you are suggesting doesn't even exist. Both are appreciated.

I liked KNY at first then it made me feel like shit after Chi's death. I can't enjoy the album as I'd like. I really CAN'T. The feeling of knowing that something has been lost makes me SAD.. it's like being missing in somewhere and not being able to comeback/remember how to comeback. Nostalgia.

So, I prefer DE above Koi.. basically is the sound that i'm expecting of "new" Deftones.

Uuhhhh... Chi wasn't on DE either so shouldn't that album make you feel exactly the same? And he was 'alive' (though who can really call that living) for the release of both albums so it's not like either album really had different circumstances. They're both albums that were done with Sergio and zero input from Chi whatsoever. I guess I just really don't understand what you're saying there.

Personally I'll take KNY over DE any day. I enjoy both but KNY just feels more complete, cohesive and has a bit of an etherial vibe that I appreciate.

I know Chi was not at both last albums! but I just wanted to say that is impossible for me to hear songs like "What happened.." and don't think about Chi's deaths... after his death everything changed in my mind and heart about KNY. Maybe that incident turned myself to the opposite side. I don't know if I'm explaining myself. The lyrics, the essence of the entire album is very introspective... its kinda "obscure" compared with DE, the atmosphere is different, heavier, dense. The riffs... dunno.
In DE I feel another energy, which is optimistic... fresh, but not less intense. Maybe both albums came to my hands in different periods of my life and probably it has a lot to do with my opinion. Hard times, being happy, being sad... the music is always with us and go along with our feelings :)

Caín

KNY is easily the worst they did. It outworsened s/t even. Impressive feat.

VictorPL

Quote from: Caín on Aug 12, 2014, 12:03 PM

you shut your whore mouth, s/t is some of their best darkest work. i might even put it at no. 1

sing blue silver

Quote from: Caín on Aug 12, 2014, 12:03 PM

Sicario

Quote from: Bifrost on Aug 12, 2014, 01:34 AM
Quote from: Shadow46/2 on Aug 04, 2014, 09:08 PM
Quote from: Heisenberg on Aug 04, 2014, 07:51 PM
These two albums are, for the most part, considered their two weakest albums by most fans.

wut

Yeah I don't know what you are talking about, I haven't heard anyone say that  ???

I mean I get it, in music especially its always cool to shit on the newest stuff and I know there are still a hand full of deftones fans out there that haven't liked anything past ATF but I think DE and Koi are both solid albums... SNW is the weakest in my opinion.

I guess that is more or less what I meant. The trend is to shit on the latest albums so rather than ask for a complete  "rank the albums" topic I went with these two. I mean newer fans will probably say their newer stuff is better and older would likely say the opposite. This is all generally speaking of course. There are exceptions. But I think if you took a general poll, the majority would take ATF and some of the older albums over KNY and DE.
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

Bifrost

I guess if I had to choose between the two I would probably go with DE, I listen to KNY more recently but I think there are stronger tracks on DE overall IMO, whereas on KNY there are only a few songs I find myself going back to...

III

Ok, Diamond eyes is great for when you want to listen to songs individually. KNY is a great album in that it will make for a much better experience if you listen to it from beginning to end. Can i get a witness?

Knucklestones

Quote from: III on Aug 15, 2014, 10:34 PM
Ok, Diamond eyes is great for when you want to listen to songs individually. KNY is a great album in that it will make for a much better experience if you listen to it from beginning to end. Can i get a witness?
I think it's just the way the songs segue like they do on Around The Fur.

Sicario

Quote from: III on Aug 15, 2014, 10:34 PM
I'm the other way around. I think DE is a more cohesive album front to back and thus I am more inclined to listen to it that way as opposed to KNY. The cohesiveness is nice but it also makes for a somewhat dull album after awhile. The variety on KNY is much better. To me they both have their strengths and weaknesses as do all albums. I think DE has a bit more of an edge on some of the songs like Diamond Eyes, Royal, CMND/CTRL, Rocket Skates that is somewhat lacking in most KNY songs save for Poltergeist and Goon Squad maybe. Although I do like me some Leathers despite it feeling detached from the album with it coming out first.

defTHE1s

Well, after having heard the instrumentals of both albums, and even WP & SNW, I can say that DE and KNY are really good albums, excellent music, and the ones I preffer (normal versions) are the ones that Chino sings better, it's like I'm enjoying the albums like if it was the 1st times I listen to them; I love CMND/CTRL, Diamond Eyes, Risk a lot, it's just another perspective (not saying that Chino does bad to the albums, but saying that, like someone said, "Deftones would be an amazing instrumental band", with Chino also on guitar.)

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

TheyCallMeP

Always liked this thread. I was listening to DE yesterday and am starting to think there is no clear winner between the two albums (both amazing). DE has more raw aggression/energy while I feel KNY has stronger individual moments. I'm hoping for a heavier album by the 'tones this time around (musically and vocally) to contrast the Team Sleep release on the horizon.

To answer the thread question: If I had a gun to my head I'd pick DE. It's so close.

Sicario

They are about even to me at this point looking back. If I had to sum it up, I would say all of the songs on DE are pretty good, averaging say an 8 out of 10 score. While on KNY there are songs I like more that would be in the 9 or 10 range, while others would drop to around 7 to sort of even it out. So basically they are even with me liking some of the songs on KNY more but acknowledging that DE is a more cohesive work. In the end, they are both better than a lot of the stuff being mass produced these days.

ChannelZer0

Sorrow

stepanas

DE. I ragequit in second half of KNY, never listened whole of it again. Sverv city is good opener and there is moments, but overall i prefer DE. And i agree, that these are two weakest in their discography. Probably tones will never repeat rawness of ATF again. None will. :`[
no fist to fuckin' save you from

Freedomsoldier17

Quote from: stepanas on Dec 04, 2014, 10:34 AM
DE. I ragequit in second half of KNY, never listened whole of it again. Sverv city is good opener and there is moments, but overall i prefer DE. And i agree, that these are two weakest in their discography. Probably tones will never repeat rawness of ATF again. None will. :`[

some say their rawness has weakened but i think it's only an illusion because they're more spacier. the riffs in songs like Diamond Eyes, Royal, Poltergeist, Gauze are still pretty heavy, just a different in sound

also regarding thread question I prefer Diamond Eyes because it's more variant the whole way through, like others say the second half of KNY is kinda weak