Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Need some suggestions on honoring my close friend and RABBID deftones Fan

Started by AgentGraves, Sep 23, 2014, 03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AgentGraves

My close friend passed away not to long ago and he was a MEGA deftones fan, I'm sure he had a profile here.
In fact, he's the one that showed me the deftones AND showed me this forum.

at anyrate I want to honor his friendship and his and mine fav. band.

there for I am looking for some tattoo ideas... I've been fooling with some but they all see... corny, cheesy or already been done.

any suggestions?

song lyrics etc?

Hinojos

Tattoo Ideas? It would be hard-ish to think of something original and not corny.

- Have y'all seen them live? Maybe tattoo the date(s) if you have.
- Wait and see what their next album cover is going to be in 2015 (unless they release
the album art sooner) and go for that.
- Probably an obvious one that you might consider cheesy, but
favorite lyrics if your friend had any, or lyrics that might remind
you of him.

Shadow46/2

"Bandaged Love" from the Hexagram single is a good one.
But maybe too romantic?

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

Penicks

if you can't think of something by yourself you shouldn't get one

otherwise try a tribal those look cool m8

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: Penicks on Sep 26, 2014, 02:16 PM
if you can't think of something by yourself you shouldn't get one

otherwise try a tribal those look cool m8
Normally I would agree theres no point getting a tattoo for the sake of it but this is a bit different it's a memorial thing it's harder to come up with ideas when you're trying to represent someone elses memory not your personality but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, I thinks its a cool idea, I can see why you would want to avoid the cliches aswell,  you probably don't want deftones fans constantly pointing out your tattoo it seems like you want it to be a more personal thing like you know what it is and what it means but to everyone else it's just a cool design, I would suggest looking at pictures of deftones merch over the years or have a look through the booklet art for the albums if you can get a hold of them you should be able to find some good looking design that hasn't been done to death.

AgentGraves

That's what I'm talking about...

I'm not the type of person to go out and get a tattoo for the sake of getting ink. That's corny.
This is a memorial. I boiled up some ideas of my own but they turned out corny and didn't
properly honor my friend.

Then I looked up some tattoos on line to check out the vibe and I saw at least 4 versions of
one of my drafts up there so that further told me that 1) I have kick ass ideas 2) my ideas are cliche and everyone uses 'em.

I figured that I'd come here and try to get ideas from a different perspective.

On a mildly unrelated note... we're holding a benefit for him and his daughter and we'd like to hold a raffle.. is there anyway to reach out
to the band to see if they'd donate something for this?  I know of a few other major bands that have done something like that in the past and I thought it'd be pissa if the deftones would do something like that for a HUGE fan this side of the Mississippi.

sooniletugo

Sorry to hear about your friend. You could reach out to the band on social media but I wouldn't count on it, they are all super down to earth but so much so that they seem to try to live normal, private lives and tend not to communicate with fans much online. The only one who tweets somewhat regularly is Sergio (@SmurffedOut) so you could try contacting him on Twitter.

For the tattoo my suggestions are 'Bandaged Love'/Hexagram single artwork, or if you want something more simple and subtle, the White Pony or old star logo would be cool ideas. I wouldn't be put off by the fact that a lot of people have them. You don't see Deftones related tats every day. Get whatever you like the idea of most.