Previous topic - Next topic

peterdigiacomo

Video from the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPy73N7NWqk

To hear our EP for free check out our Bandcamp page:

www.room42.bandcamp.com

And if you like what you hear, like us on FB:

https://www.facebook.com/theroom42/

Let me know what you think, and any comments are welcomed.

Thank you!

peterdigiacomo

Quality for the video is not the greatest because our camera guy was in front of a vocal amp, but any comments are appreciated

An bád dubh

I checked your previous shows and commented on them back then. Nice to see that you recorded an EP! That was certainly missing last time. Makes it easier to comment on something more than just the vocals and the performance. Im gonna check out the rest of the show and the EP more carefully on Saturday. I'll give some comments then, but you guys do rock, I gotta give you that already.

peterdigiacomo

Thanks man, appreciate it! Looking forward to what you have to say about the EP!

An bád dubh

Alright, so I checked out the EP. Not gonna comment song by song because I like to comment the overall picture if there's more than 1 song available.

Overall, I like the realness in your music. It all seems genuine and especially the choruses feel like they are a part of the songs, and not just in there to give the listeners something to remember. With that said, after listening to the EP I dont really remember any parts, which is a good thing! One of the things which I have noticed with many of my favorite bands is that I dont remember how their choruses go. I need to listen to the songs again which creates a factor that the music does not get old so fast. It lasts. Most mainstream bands "need to" have memorable choruses or guitar solos because most people want to be able to remember the songs. Even I like to remember and sing those songs from my "main-stream favorites". Easy songs with very stand-out choruses (mainly because musically the choruses have nothing to do with the song) are popular with mainstream bands but with up-and-coming underground bands those choruses would just make the music really old really fast, as the amount of listeners is rather small.

Listening to the EP reminds me of listening to Denali and Engine Down for the first time back in 2002. Both bands had great and very genuine albums and music with a rather big underground following. The same people were involved in both bands. in 2003 they decided to focus on Engine Down (except for Maura Davis, who was just in Denali and only had a couple of appearance on Engine Down albums). Anyways, Engine Down released their self-titled album in 2004, which was lacking everything they had before. the choruses were too planned out as well as the song structures. Without checking I can almost swear that all songs on that album were around 3 minutes 30 seconds. They tried to become mainstream and failed. Both bands dismantled that year. Some members are doing really well in other bands but the original bands just vanished.

My point is that is it possible to make it big with real music nowadays? I hope so, because your music is real, to me. Your vocal range is awesome and at least on the EP all instruments and the whole band work well together. The few guitar solos stood out and fit the music and the drums and the bass were very fitting as well.

The live show was similar to the others. The life performance is built mostly around you (the singer). The other band is great as Ive said before, but its a bit like the band is there for the singer. Doesnt matter to me though, maybe thats just how it is. The bassist has found his own cool little thing with his moving (funny at first but still, his own thing!). That kind of genuinity attracts the audience. It has to be genuine with these kinds of bands. Ive seen so many bands become big with just the genuinity and the show. Similarly Ive seen many bands fail because they try to do what the label wants. Ive also seen many bands fail because they try to do their own thing and not sacrificing the realness. Finally when they do sacrifice, the music becomes too bland and plain too fast and they end up breaking up. You guys gotta find your way and I kinda think that you will. Although I kind of see you joining another already bigger band at some point. No offence to the others, just saying that you as the singer really shine and have that star quality.

Those were my thoughts. I hope you can create a big following with this stuff. And I will certainly listen to your EP every now and then. Its one of the best EP:s of very new bands that Ive checked out these years. Its something old but still has a new feel to it. A great EP, cant wait to hear what you guys do next. THanks for sharing!

peterdigiacomo

Really appreciate the reply man, and the time you put in for your response.

I'm glad you liked the EP. I put a lot of time and work into writing the songs, all of them with their own particular feeling and story to them. Thanks for the complements also. I've never been to singing classes, but I am looking to do so in the future to really explore what I can do with my voice. The screams are easy on me, never hurt my voice, but sometimes I have trouble conditioning myself during live shows, but that will get better overtime I believe.

I try to bring as much energy and movement to the show as possible, not trying to be a "spotlight hogger" or anything, but I believe it is my duty to be the center of the band, as you can see in the videos, as many times I try to tell my band to get into it more, they seem to always be underneath what I am doing. My bassist is getting more comfortable, actually it's hilarious you brought up his movement, we hack on him sometimes for it but in the video it turned out pretty awesome.

As for moving onto another band, never really thought of that before you mentioned it, but I am sticking with these guys for a while now, they're some of my good friends and wouldn't want to screw them like that anytime soon, unless circumstances change. Other than that, thank you for the kind words, and I hope you end up listening to the EP a few more times, and have some feedback on song by song, we'd really appreciate it, as we were thinking of redoing all the recordings for an album we're in the works of producing. The company we went to pretty much half-assed everything, and we didn't really have much input in the final product, so we've decided to start recording ourselves.

Thanks for the good words though.
Any other comments are appreciated!

An bád dubh

Quote from: peterdigiacomo on Nov 17, 2014, 11:52 PM
-
-
-
Other than that, thank you for the kind words, and I hope you end up listening to the EP a few more times, and have some feedback on song by song, we'd really appreciate it, as we were thinking of redoing all the recordings for an album we're in the works of producing. The company we went to pretty much half-assed everything, and we didn't really have much input in the final product, so we've decided to start recording ourselves.

Thanks for the good words though.
Any other comments are appreciated!

Sure, I can give my feedback song by song too. Will do that in a few days.

Edit. And haha I would hack on your bassist too, it is funny but mainly in a good way after the initial surprise :D

peterdigiacomo

Thank you sir!

Anyone else have any other comments?? Would greatly appreciate it

An bád dubh

Alright, song by song. And this is just my views on the songs. Remember that I couldnt technically or musically do any of the stuff which I suggest (or the stuff that you have done so far) but I wanna give my comments as I see a lot of potential:

Dream Walker:
- A good song overall. I was gonna say that it needs a chorus but it doesnt really, the dream walker -part does that. The song could even be longer, maybe adding another verse at 2.07. It could even have a another part, another different bridge or whatever after the second dream walker -part, followed by the dream walker -part once more. I dont know, just what came to my mind. The song is good as it is but has potential to be more.

Shades of Green:
- Again, I cant really say anything negative about the instruments or the vocals. They are how you've written them and thats cool. The verse, "shade of green, why won't you come with me..." is fun but could also act as a bridge, followed by a new chorus. The song rocks but the "shade of green, why wont you come with me..." slows down the song and kinda stops it in a point where it just would need to explode, like at 2.51.

Parachutes:

- Nice melody and melancholic feeling in the whole song. The guitar solo is awesome. I dont know, I think that in this one too your chorus starting at 0.33 could be a great bridge which would be followed by another chorus. I think its just your song writing style, and thats also the realness taht I commented on before. Your songs sound real as the they dont have any "fake-sounding" choruses (which would soung out of place), BUT, if you could incorporate some "real-sounding" choruses in addition, the songs would just blow up to a whole new level. They're fine the way they are but have potential.

Into the Ice:
- This song is not as exciting as the previous songs, mainly because of the long verses. I like the guitar solo in this one too. A different singing style on this one for sure. Its a different song and doesnt have that same "potential to be a hit" as the previous songs. BUT, for that reason I gotta say that this song actually would work as such between the other really rocking and intense stuff. I have no idea what could be changed, probably nothing :D

Sick Building Syndrome:
- I like the intro. I like the guitars in the whole song. Im not commenting on the drums or the bass in any of the songs as I think that they work as such really well. Lots of feeling in the song. Not sure how it was planned but the part starting at 1.37 is definitely the chorus after a cool bridge, but in this case the chorus is left a bit weak but only because its musically very similar to the bridge. It could be awesome if it had some synths or a clear melody with a guitar in the background instead of the growling guitar. It could be an awesome chorus. I like the end of the song too. A good song overall.

Thats it! Those were my thoughts! Disregard any or all of them if they sound like complete nonsense  8)

peterdigiacomo

Thanks man, I really appreciate the comments and will show the band the post! Cheers man!

Any other comments? Would really appreciate it!!

gottsu

I liked your music  8)

You are playing it quite aggresive, but it is maintained in such a charmful rock manner, your songs are catchy a lot, but it is good  ;)

peterdigiacomo, do you are going to reveal a bit of your story with music and the story of your band?  ;D

peterdigiacomo

Hey man ^ Thanks for the comment.

As for some back story on the band, if anyone cares haha, we've been playing together for about a year. We all went to high school together (I'm in 4th year college now) and are pretty good friends. This is my first ever band, as well as my drummer's first band, and he has only been playing for about a year too now (basically started a couple months before the band formed). I never really knew I could sing, but I knew I had a pretty sweet scream when I used to do it for fun mimicking songs like Disturb's Down with the sickness in Elementary school. My buddies convinced me a had a pretty good scream, as well as me being obsessed with Deftones and Chino being my #1 inspiration (lyric wise and stage presence) along with Jason Butler from Letlive having pretty big impressions on me too. Then I started listening and going to shows whenever there was a good show out. Saw Deftones 3 times in Toronto, and hit me I had to be in a band lol. Have never taken any singing lessons, but depending where the band gets, may consider taking them in the future. But its a blast, writing music and love performing live.

peterdigiacomo

Looks like we're looking for a new drummer.

Turns out he doesn't want to play shows for free anymore, just to get our name out there in bigger and better venues, and doesn't have the time to be in a band anymore. 1 year in and our drummer already gone. Great.

gottsu