Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

I miss this place.

Started by RaptureWS, Jun 02, 2023, 09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaptureWS

I know reddit and FB groups have become the new thing, and that's all well and good. I also don't (or at least didn't) like "exclusive" clubs/groups. (Obviously anyone can sign up here). It feels like though with each passing album, this place is more and more like an open secret where the most hardcore fans go to get away from all the insanity during new album cycles. Again, I am all about being inclusive, but maybe in my old age I just like the idea in my mind of having a place to go talk Deftones with people that have been around for a long while.

Deftones have gained 6 million monthly listeners in the past 32 months. 2 million of those new fans are just in the past 6 months! Reddit and FB are becoming flooded with posts like "woah! Chino has a side project called Crosses! Did you guys know that?" etc etc.

It is fantastic to see new people discovering Deftones for the first time all these years later!! I just secretly kind of hope this place doesn't get flooded with kids whenever the next album cycle may be. Then again, if someone is *really* into them, there is a fuckton of great content and discussion here for new fans to comb through.

Anyone else understand what I am trying to say? Or do I just sound like a gatekeeper oldhead?
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

BillGoatzNo9

I get you friend. It's crazy, I was thinking the exact same thing so had to make a 3rd new log in just to search for an interview from Chi in 2007.
I've never been one for reddit, and FB is just silly dumb dumbs most of the time.

This forum has its charm, like a dive bar.
"I wonder if Variable is still alive, does Blixa still post butt pics here, penicks hasn't been racist for a while...."

I come back here whenever I get nostalgic and miss the old days when things were brighter and simpler.
I used to be Elite, but then they changed what Elite was. Now what I'm with isn't "Elite" anymore and what's 'ohms' seems weird and scary. It'll happen to you!
-Grandpa Chongo

tarkil

Quote from: BillGoatzNo9 on Jun 03, 2023, 07:18 AM
"I wonder if Variable is still alive, does Blixa still post butt pics here, penicks hasn't been racist for a while...."

This made me chuckle...      :)

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

nicklav

I still check this site almost daily and never go into Reddit or FB. I'm just glad it's still around.

bebo

fuck the internet

the novelty of talking to someone from anywhere at anytime has worn off and is just taken for granted. no one has the attention span for forum discussion and real interweb shenanigans anymore

Penicks

if i don't get le upvotes for posting my shitty guitar cover, or my ugly ass tattoo, or the fact that my neckbeard ugly ass went outside and bought a fucking cd, i don't post. simple as

RoyalDeftonicBoy

I'm also still checking the website, waiting for something new since it is almost 3 years without new Deftones. Hopefully something is coming.

Vesanic

The old SL was it. I don't think I've helped in that sense. I wish I could go back

from_musings

Quote from: tarkil on Jun 21, 2023, 05:36 AM

i remember the time when penick cranked up the racism to unimaginable heights around here, made me think he was on the brink of getting banned because of breaking many of the board's rules. instead they made him a moderator lol. but god forbid if someone called an idiot for an idiot "sir very inappropriate behaviour you must leave this site forever"

Penicks

don't recall anything like that are u sure ur talking about the right penicks unless you mean grooming i mean wooing blixa is racist

headwound

I'm one of those new fans you're talking about. I discovered deftones maybe four years ago but only really got into them two years ago. I'm pretty sure I've burned through all deftones content you can find on youtube, I recently realised I've seen all the videos on the fan archive channel DeftonesLive and noticed that I'm gonna have to start looking for bootleg stuff if I wanna have something to watch. This forum has so many links it's pretty overwhelming (and exciting) and sadly so far I haven't found any working ones. I used to be on forums and pirate music and stuff about ten years ago but apparently I'm pretty clueless these days... all this to say I would give my kidney to anyone willing to guide me through the jungle that is this website.
"there is a fuckton of great content and discussion here for new fans to comb through." where do I even begin?! aaahhhh

I'll do my very best to not be an annoying new young fan whenever I visit this place. o7
Also I am very jealous of all of you.

surgery

Quote from: from_musings on Jul 01, 2023, 03:50 PM
Quote from: tarkil on Jun 21, 2023, 05:36 AM

i remember the time when penick cranked up the racism to unimaginable heights around here, made me think he was on the brink of getting banned because of breaking many of the board's rules. instead they made him a moderator lol. but god forbid if someone called an idiot for an idiot "sir very inappropriate behaviour you must leave this site forever"

I remember it all too well

EleanoraToy

Penicks

surgery

Quote from: EleanoraToy on Sep 25, 2023, 07:55 AM
Can i ask a question?

You know you've already asked. No one is stopping you