Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones new album

Started by tarkil, Feb 11, 2015, 01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

82IR@Q

Quote from: E-Money on Apr 28, 2015, 03:41 AM
I hope it does come out then but usually it's delayed 4 or 5 months. I bet we get it in December or early next year. Hope I'm wrong tho.

naw man
November the latest mid to late October the earliest.

deftoner664

Posted on Facebook today... I'm dreaming, but it would be sick if this photo is foreshadowing that Robert Smith might appear on the new record... Cool photo regardless.
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

pony_01

who the hell is that person in the middle? Robert Smith???

E-Money

Dope pic Abe looks so stoked haha. Would be so cool to meet all the greats in the industry. Pretty crazy that Madona is probably one of the first famous musicians that they met at the beginning of their career.

82IR@Q

Quote from: pony_01 on May 03, 2015, 07:20 PM
who the hell is that person in the middle? Robert Smith???

of course

I don't give a shit if we hear any vocals from Smith.I just wanna hear him and Chino try to match some lead grooves on guitar while the rest of the band follows and plays off it .Vocals will be a bonus if he decides to do it.  If this collaboration happens in any form it will be a classic track regardless.

Far away

That story about "early next year" sounds so familiar... I wonder why... ;)

lungdamage

He demo'ing his vocals at home on his digi007. He wouldn't be recording the final takes.

Crazylegs

Quote from: 82IR@Q on May 04, 2015, 01:25 AMI just wanna hear him and Chino try to match some lead grooves on guitar while the rest of the band follows and plays off it.

Chino shouldn't be allowed within reach of guitars. Let's be honest, he is beyond terrible.

DeftonesNZ

He's not a expert guitar player but he can write cool stuff, he's actually pretty similar to Robert Smith in how he plays simple stuff with a lot of atmosphere so I'd be pretty excited to seem them collaborate.

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: Crazylegs on May 04, 2015, 05:33 PM
Quote from: 82IR@Q on May 04, 2015, 01:25 AMI just wanna hear him and Chino try to match some lead grooves on guitar while the rest of the band follows and plays off it.

Chino shouldn't be allowed within reach of guitars. Let's be honest, he is beyond terrible.

Digital Bath begs to differ. It's all pretty simple stuff, but it adds some nice atmospherics layers to what Steph is playing.

cvthedrv

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on May 04, 2015, 06:10 PM

Digital Bath begs to differ. It's all pretty simple stuff, but it adds some nice atmospherics layers to what Steph is playing.

he only tries to cover the fact that he is singing like shit.

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: cvthedrv on May 04, 2015, 06:34 PM

gtfo

Crazylegs

One of the main reasons i still listen to deftones is that i find a lot of Chino's vocal work and melodies really cool, but his way of writing/thinking music just doesn't translate to his guitar playing I think. To me it mostly ends up sounding super juvenile, if that makes sense. Digital bath is probably one of the better ones. For instance, check out the parts of minerva where he's playing by himself. What the fuck?

nicklav

Didn't he also write Riviere? I like his part on that.

rainnyx4

The interplay between Stef and Chino on guitar is what is giving this band a lot of its longevity, dynamics, and innovation.  Chino's stuff on the albums is generally pretty great but he's incredibly sloppy/lazy live which results in some poor sounding performances.

cvthedrv

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on May 04, 2015, 06:56 PM
Quote from: cvthedrv on May 04, 2015, 06:34 PM

gtfo

talk like a real person, dumbass.

snw9

Quote from: Crazylegs on May 04, 2015, 07:01 PM

One of the main reasons i still listen to deftones is that i find a lot of Chino's vocal work and melodies really cool, but his way of writing/thinking music just doesn't translate to his guitar playing I think. To me it mostly ends up sounding super juvenile, if that makes sense. Digital bath is probably one of the better ones. For instance, check out the parts of minerva where he's playing by himself. What the fuck?

I disagree that Chino shouldn't play guitar as it actually gives another side of Deftones, a more slower one with melodies, atmospheric elements. For example the song Change, he wrote some of the riffs against Stephen's wishes and by adding Frank's effects, its clearly one of their best songs.

Perhaps he shouldn't play on every song so that there can be a balance of dynamics.
Code: [Select]

Penicks

i'd rather steph do something about his lazy ugly ass riffs (thanks for ruining rosemary bro) than chino with his simple melodic stuff

nicklav

Quote from: Penicks on May 04, 2015, 08:43 PM
i'd rather steph do something about his lazy ugly ass riffs (thanks for ruining rosemary bro) than chino with his simple melodic stuff

Yes. More Feiticeria and less chug chug.

Far away

Quote from: nicklav on May 04, 2015, 09:09 PM
Quote from: Penicks on May 04, 2015, 08:43 PM

Yes. More Feiticeria and less chug chug.

+1