Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones new album

Started by tarkil, Feb 11, 2015, 11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

from_musings

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on May 04, 2015, 03:10 PM
Digital Bath begs to differ. It's all pretty simple stuff, but it adds some nice atmospherics layers to what Steph is playing.

yeah but he shamelessly took the chords from the smashing pumpkin's song "daphne descends".
i would'nt say he's "beyond terrible" with the guitar - that's going too far.but he is terrible.
speaking of his melodies/vocals, chino's vocals and melodies outside of deftones aren't that great to me....his melodies and stephen's guitar playing by themselves aren't anything super special - It's when his melodies are combined with stef's simple riffs - that's when fireworks occurs. It's like the sum becomes greater than the components, 1+1=3 kind of deal. i'm pretty tired of chino ballads and hope stef write some awesme adrenaline riffs that chino can go nuts on. riffs where you actually can hear a guitarist having fun playing the instrument.

That being said, "smile" from eros was fucking amazeballs.

82IR@Q

Yea Chino sounds great on Smile.

Quote from: Crazylegs on May 04, 2015, 04:01 PM
For instance, check out the parts of minerva where he's playing by himself. What the fuck?

That is one of their best songs and Chino is a main part of that. The sound is huge...Stephen and Chino's tone is perfect and it plays off of each other great .

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on May 04, 2015, 02:55 PM
He's not a expert guitar player but he can write cool stuff, he's actually pretty similar to Robert Smith in how he plays simple stuff with a lot of atmosphere so I'd be pretty excited to seem them collaborate.

Exactly.

deftoner664

I'm curious to see how they approach the guitar work this album. Stephen said he's going to focus more on improving his playing and doesn't plan to tune down anymore because he has enough range with his 8 string . Chino has always added the melodic and "pretty" sounding chords to their guitar work.. He loves major 7 and add 9 chords and bends a lot of his notes which adds that dynamic feeling in his licks/ riffs; even though his skill level is rather intermediate on the guitar, he still adds that essential ingredient to Deftones sound after ATF.
I believe that both Chino and Stephen don't really understand their music theory on a lot of the songs they create, but they always seem to make it work very well. Chino said they focused even more on the song structure this record so I'm hoping for a White Pony II (lulz) or better.
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

DeftonesNZ

Yeah your right about the theory thing, I've seen interviews were they are asked about how they write with an 8 and a 6 in different tunings and there's theory behind it they just play until something sounds good, I actually like that though I think when someone has alot of theory knowledge it can lock them in a bit because they have all these rules they feel they should be following.

As for the song structure thing I'm guessing they're talking about the song going places you wouldn't expect as in building up but then going super quiet, I remember them talking about how going into WP they decided to make an effort to do something different which they also seem to be striving for this time around, so it's seems it could be a kind of a spiritual successor to WP, whether it'll be good is unknown at this point but I thinks it's pretty cool their still pushing themselves to mix it up.

Diplo

Don't hope so much guys, since SNW, there is nothing really creative or original. Even songs like we have on KNY (Romantic Dreams) where we can find some improvements, the song is boring and nothing works like a Digital Bath.

I just hope they will go really out of what they have done before, make the surprise and that's it.

deftoner664

^To be fair, I thought Rosemary was a good leap forward in the song writing.

Stephen just needs to utilize his 8 string a bit more and try to experiment with bigger and complex chords rather than relying on power chords or just the lowest 8th an 7th string root notes all the time, although he has written a ton of bad ass stuff with this formula...

I feel like the quick work ethic they developed since Diamond Eyes can enable Stephen and the other guys (except for Abe) to be a bit lazy/complacent with some elements of the songs. Of course I know studio time is very expensive, but maybe if they didn't rush the writing process like they have with the past couple records we might have one of the best Deftones records to date. Who knows, maybe they have some songs on this record they've had up their sleeves or have been crafting for awhile...

N0S3BLEED976

Come on man, Stephen already stepped up his game with his 8 string on Koi No Yokan. You're talking like you want him to actually shred or play these lame-ass metal licks, like every other generic metal band. Besides, he uses his higher strings quite often, as evident on songs like Smile, WHTY?, Beauty School, etc.

deftoner664

I was pretty proud to hear that he took on a solo on that song Dallas from the Eros session... it'd be cool to get something different is really all I'm trying to say from his past formula. Shred isn't what I envisioned either lol. I don't think he downgraded on KNY  but he didn't go over the top either.

N0S3BLEED976

I see, no hard feelings. I'm just not a huge fan of solos or anything that puts the spotlight on only one musician. Wouldn't like to hear that in their music.

deftoner664

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on May 06, 2015, 10:46 PM
I see, no hard feelings. I'm just not a huge fan of solos or anything that puts the spotlight on only one musician. Wouldn't like to hear that in their music.

That's cool, man. I understand where you're coming from and I respect your opinion.. and trust me I dont want to see Stephen and Chino doing solos back to back on stage and shit like an 80's hair band, haha. 

luisch

Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

tarkil

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

82IR@Q

always loved Jerry's playing style and tone 
should be interesting

Inkblades

Chino says he's ripping off Morrissey for the new album:

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blog/deftones-chino-moreno-on-their-spacey-morrissey-inspired-new-album?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=deftones

Interesting. Between Chino's Morrissey influence and how missing Chi "seeps into the music", I think this album might be a lot moodier and sadder than DE and KNY.

N0S3BLEED976

Might turn out good. Morrissey's vocals are a great thing to be influenced by.
As I suspected I believe this will be their softest record. Not really "soft" per se, but I think the heaviness will stem from Steph's riffs rather than Chino's vocals. More like Tempest kind of heavy than something straight upbeat like Royal, Poltergeist, Rats, etc., if you know what I mean.
Not sure how I feel about that.

ANattyRat

Yeah, I don't think there will be many vocally heavy parts to this album. Chino's been doing less and less of it recently, and I think he's probably decided that he has enough heavy songs in their discography already that he doesn't need to try to make a very heavy album. But I don't think that would come as a surprise to anyone; I mean, listen to Hexagram and then listen to Leathers. Ah well, maybe he'll surprise us, but I'm excited for the album, definitely.

N0S3BLEED976

I like their slower songs just as much. But a faster, heavier song here and there inbetween slower tracks was always pretty exciting to me. Without them there would be something missing. I'm just speculating, though.

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: ANattyRat on May 12, 2015, 07:46 PM
I mean, listen to Hexagram and then listen to Leathers.

I'd already be satisfied with a track as heavy as Leathers, I have to admit. But I doubt even that's going to happen