Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Retrospective White Pony Review

Started by JoeBoy, Jul 20, 2015, 05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeBoy

Hey guys,

I've recently written a retrospective review of White Pony. Would be great to get some of you to read it. Cheers!

http://the-indie-pendent.com/blast-past-white-pony-deftones/

buddyboy101

I never thought of RX Queen as a particularly heavy track.

As far as the drumming in Digital Bath, it's more of an innovative take on a back beat, rather than a classic back beat itself (e.g. Michael Jacksons' Billie Jean or NIN's Closer).

I think the thoughts conveyed in your review are shared by most Deftones fans.  It's a safe piece that doesn't really add anything new to the conversation. 

Almost half your article deals with what preceded White Pony.  I think retrospective reviews are most effective when they explore a release in the context of what has followed in its wake (e.g. White Pony's impact on the Deftones future releases - the ongoing struggle between heavy and experimental, and the countless bands/albums that have been influenced by it - there's plenty written on the subject, and it could have been synthesized here), rather than what took place before the release, which, as you've noted, has been written about ad nauseam.

The mechanics of your writing are fine.  Your sentence structure is varied, and it's gramatically tight.  But you're relying on flowery adjectives and uncommon words to save you from the job of actual exposition.  And sometimes this hurts your credibility as a writer - look up what a "swan song" actually means.

JoeBoy

Thank you so much for the feedback man, I agree with everything that you mentioned. This was my first piece taking on an album that means so much to me and I think in a way this could have hindered my writing in terms of playing it safe. I also agree with how I should have gone into the after effects of White Pony instead of focussing on the events that led up to the release. Anyhow, I've taken your comments on and I'll definitely try to implement them into my future writing to give my future articles more of a punch. Thanks alot!!

buddyboy101

Quote from: JoeBoy on Jul 20, 2015, 08:33 PM
Thank you so much for the feedback man, I agree with everything that you mentioned. This was my first piece taking on an album that means so much to me and I think in a way this could have hindered my writing in terms of playing it safe. I also agree with how I should have gone into the after effects of White Pony instead of focussing on the events that led up to the release. Anyhow, I've taken your comments on and I'll definitely try to implement them into my future writing to give my future articles more of a punch. Thanks alot!!

Awesome man good luck :)

Hidalgo

good article, i enjoyed it. but as already mentioned, a little about WP's influence on music, how it opened up a lot of people's taste in music, and deftones future releases needed to be adressed. and i think "magnum opus" was the term you were looking for, not swansong

JoeBoy

Quote from: Hidalgo on Jul 21, 2015, 11:43 AM
good article, i enjoyed it. but as already mentioned, a little about WP's influence on music, how it opened up a lot of people's taste in music, and deftones future releases needed to be adressed. and i think "magnum opus" was the term you were looking for, not swansong

Once again man, thank you for taking the time out to read it and thank you for the feedback! You're right on magnum opus, pretty miffed that I'll have to live with swansong always being in there now haha! But yeah, cheers for reading and I'm glad you enjoyed it!