Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Rank Chino's Discography

Started by Inkblades, Sep 10, 2015, 04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

This was kind of going on in a debate in the pictures/interview thread, but I think it would be interesting to see how people rank his work. Include Like Linus and the Team Sleep advance, btw.

1. White Pony - Deftones' masterpiece, IMO. I think it is their most successful album for a reason. it has a certain cohesiveness that the other albums don't.

2. Around the Fur - So many classic songs. This is where the golden era of Deftones began.

3. Deftones - If White Pony is a beautiful, dark-haired, exotic woman, then S/T is her drunk, pissed-off, moody little brother throwing shit at you while you talk to her. Love it.

4. Team Sleep - Unmastered Advance - Even though its an unmastered album, it's thoroughly fucking amazing.

5. Team Sleep/Crosses - Yup, I put Chino's two side project albums over Adrenaline. I prefer experimental Chino over nu-metal Chino. Sue me. Both albums take a couple missteps here and there (weaker versions of King Diamond and Natalie Portman on TS, for instance), but there are still some of my all time favorite songs here. Ataraxia, Ever, Your Skull is Red, Blvd Nights, Our Ride to the Rectory, Ever Since WW1, 11-11, Telepathy, Bitches Brew, thholyghst, Trophy, The Epilogue, Frontiers, 1994, etc. are Chino at his very best.

6. Adrenaline - It's a very good album, but its just a little dated to me. Some of the songs are a little too "samey". And Chino took what he started on this album to new levels on ATF and WP. Also, I'm good with never hearing 7 Words again in my life.

7. Saturday Night Wrist/Diamond Eyes/Koi No Yokan - Saturday Night Wrist would rank higher than DE and KNY and possibly even some of the other albums if it had more consistent production. It doesn't, though. I don't hate DE and KNY like some of the people on SL. I like them, actually, but they are missing something that take them to the next level for me.

8. Like Linus - Just sounds really dated and rough to me. Love Like Linus (the song) and Gift, though.

9. Palms - I love Mission Sunset and don't care for the rest of the album. Well, there's elements I like on each song, but the production is so atrociously awful that it takes the whole thing down for me.

illthrowROCKS@U

I'm only counting the 10 full, official, album releases that aren't compilations.

1. Deftones

2. Saturday Night Wrist

3. White Pony

4. Around the Fur

5. Palms

6. Crosses

7. Koi No Yokan

8. Adrenaline

9. Team Sleep

10. Diamond Eyes
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Hidalgo

around the fur
white pony (virtual tie with atf)
adrenaline
crosses
diamond eyes
palms
like linus
koi no yokan
self titled
team sleep (2005)
saturday night wrist

N0S3BLEED976

Capt Snow

1. Team Sleep
2. SNW
3. WP
4. S/T
5. ATF
6. Palms
7. KNY/Adrenaline
8. DE
9. Crosses
10. Linus

Gee

White Pony
Deftones/Team Sleep
Around The Fur
Koi No Yokan
Saturday Night Wrist/Palms
Adrenaline/Diamond Eyes
Crosses

Big fan of post-SNW Chino (love KNY, love Palms) but I think Crosses is overrated. I don't think I have listened to Crosses S/T entirely once.

"When I show up, it's all good" Chino Moreno