Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Timeless Classic, or Temporary Infatuation?

Started by downtownpony, Sep 25, 2015, 06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downtownpony

When watching Deftones live shows (in person or online), I find that there are certain hit songs that I always skip over, and others that I always watch through. Based on my preferences, there doesn't seem to be a strong correlation with time (ie., a general trend towards liking newer songs), but just in case I only added songs from albums that are 10+ years old, because anything newer may be too fresh to be judged accurately.

Freedomsoldier17

for me be quiet and drive will always be special just cause it's an awesome song to me.

i think change may have more staying power with the general populous b/c i think(correct me if im wrong) it's by far the most played deftones song on the radio

Hinojos

Quote from: Freedomsoldier17 on Sep 26, 2015, 01:35 AM
for me be quiet and drive will always be special just cause it's an awesome song to me.

i think change may have more staying power with the general populous b/c i think(correct me if im wrong) it's by far the most played deftones song on the radio
I agree with this completely. In terms of being timeless, I'd say BQAD is on top. When I've played this song around friends and they say they've never heard it (sadly I'm the only one out of the people I know that listen to Deftones), it blows their mind when I tell them that it's from 1997. In my opinion that makes it considered 'timeless'.
Change is clearly their most well known song, so in terms of popularity that one is on top. In terms of staying power though I'd say both of them are up there, but if I had to pick one I'd say BQAD. Hard choice though.

downtownpony

Quote from: Freedomsoldier17 on Sep 26, 2015, 01:35 AM

Yeah, Change was def the most commercially viable. It's one of those songs that people instantly like the first time hearing it. Unfortunately, I feel that it (along with a lot of other WP songs) sounds kind of dated.
BQAD honestly took me a while to get into. I remember occasionally seeing the music video, and feeling pretty unenthused. Now though, I feel it perfectly encapsulates their sound.

Northcal

BQAD CLASIC 8)change is the introduction to deftones rookies!

thewanderer

BQAD was a large part if not even solely responsible for putting Deftones on the map. It was their first really accessible song. They created a new style of heavy metal that other bands are still trying to emulate. As far as I'm concerned Linkin Park shamelessly ripped off the breakdown in One step closer (the shut up part). Mos, Change, Digital Bath, Minerva, and Tempest were my other favorites as far as radio hits go.
Sometimes I hear certain sounds, and they make my dick really fucking hard.........

Vesanic

I wouldn't say they created it. They happened to make it right, with their own style so it remained authentic, but it didn't stem from them. They also were at the right place at the right time, no Deftones fan who knows about them could deny that.

As far as timeless classics go, Digital Bath, Hexagram, Bored and BQAD always hit the spot for me. Although I would say Digital Bath was definitely composed without any commercial ambition, I think lots of people just recognized the quality of it.

Tempest is the only KNY track I can dig, so there's that too.

Change is vast debate. The song is a dead and re-dead horse because of its playtime and the amount of times I've heard it, I'm sure lots of people's perspective would be different if it weren't for that. Bear in mind it's the first song they came up with during the WP sessions (as far as I've read), and it wasn't initially supposed to be a commercial ethereal rock ballad. I remember someone from the inside telling me it was supposed to have a slightly more punk rhythm to it, very much like the way it was performed at HFStival 2000.

tarkil

BQAD here, for sure... Still gorgeous to listen to after all these years, acoustic, live, album version, anything !!

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

ANattyRat

Digital Bath for me, I can never skip over that one, whether it's on the album or live.

N0S3BLEED976

Yeah, Digital Bath is a true timeless classic. It may be 15 years old, but it still holds up and sounds futuristic to me. The imagery of the lyrics, the instantly recognizable drum beat, the watery keyboard effects. Everything came together perfectly on that song and I doubt anyone, even Deftones themselves, can ever replicate something similar. And they don't have to in order to write great new music, in my opinion. Digital Bath is what it is and as long as they don't dwell on their past and reach out and try new things I'll always be contempt.

illthrowROCKS@U

9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

N0S3BLEED976

Bifrost

I know it's been played to death but its gotta be change for me.

As soon as the intro starts it just sets the mood and the crooning at the end really just caps it perfectly. To me it has a timeless sound.

BQAD is great song but it still has that teenage angst feel to it and the breakdown at the end feel more a product of the time (Nu Metal vibe) and not so timeless.