Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

New album rituals

Started by downtownpony, Jan 27, 2016, 02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downtownpony

With the new Deftones album coming out in the next few days, I've been wondering how I should go about listening to their new material in its entirety. In the past I would typically put it on in my car, and proceed to get high with my brother. Now, however, I no longer smoke weed, and I doubt I'll have the free time to listen to it once all the way through without making it too much of a concerted effort.

So how do you all go about listening to the new albums of your favorite bands?

Shadow46/2

In bed, dark room, phat headphones. Being high as a kite is optional.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

sharinglungs

next few days?

72 days is "a few days"?

therealdaebat

I heard it comes out in 2 hrs!
---------------------------------------------------------------
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

http://reddit.com/r/deftones

ANattyRat

I have all the free time in the world, so I just listen to it all, absorb the music, have my favourites, have my least favourite ones grow on me, etc. Obsessively play the album more times than is healthy. Pretty sure I listened to Diamond Eyes for nine hours straight. Sometimes play Tetris while listening to the music.

Vesanic

defTHE1s

I usually have a 1st listen from the beginnin to the end in a quiet place while checking the booklet and details on the package and the 2nd time is reading the lyrics (if included) and the credits and all that stuff.
After this, I play it as oftenfrom beginning to end and it's when i start to pick my favorites and least favorites. Usually I listen to it about 5 times and let it to grow later after hearing some other songs and coming back to listen, now randomly but it only works with few albums.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

Jesus2Chino

Will head out and buy the CD, bring it home, rub the excitement out of my nipples, lay down comfortably with my eyes closed, and listen to it all the way through. Immediately after I'll listen again while flipping through the booklet and reading lyrics along with the songs (if the booklet includes them). I can't freaking wait, haha.
Much respect,
-Matt

snw9

Buy the CD or high quality version from Itunes, earphones and play from start to finish.

On Koi no Yokan, I spoiled the experience by selecting track names randomly however will avoid that.
Code: [Select]

RaptureWS

My PC is in the living room so on the days that the album leaks (I always preorder too, don't worry) my wife basically does everything......homework with the kids, baths, cooking, etc. They all know not to bother me at all unless it is an absolute emergency. It's not as authoritative as it sounds lol. My wife and kids completely understand and appreciate my passion for Deftones so I am allowed that one night every few years to just be invisible to the world and expereince the pure joy and tranquility of a new Deftones album :)

Also, I always make sure I have at least 8 hours of PTO available so that I can leave work the moment the album is available ;)
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

Martin

Quote from: sharinglungs on Jan 27, 2016, 02:49 PM
next few days?

72 days is "a few days"?

My thoughts exactly haha

Started getting excited for this record. Damn man...there's a new Deftones record coming out soon!
Going to take the evening off from work, turn off everything but my stereo, get some fine wines, hell, maybe some French cheeses and make the street go deaf.

HooiserBowhunter

I would normally go on a crazy long run, but I have a messed up knee right now. So I will settle for along workout session. For those experts is the sound quality better from buying a cd or straight from itunes?

defTHE1s

Quote from: HooiserBowhunter on Jan 29, 2016, 12:34 AM
I would normally go on a crazy long run, but I have a messed up knee right now. So I will settle for along workout session. For those experts is the sound quality better from buying a cd or straight from itunes?
CD is (almost) always better, but on iTunes the quality is quite decent I think.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

Bifrost

I did this with Diamond Eyes - we running after work at night, with it blasting through my headphones... it pretty awesome

I think headphones or loud in the car is the way to go. At night of course is preferred, I mean it is the deftones after all. :)

defsteve

http://mashable.com/2015/06/30/apple-music-sound-quality/#6zbmP3fpmsq5

"With the exception of Tidal's HiFi tier (1,411 kbps FLAC), all major music streaming services stream at a bit rate below CD quality.

Comparing the audio quality for paid subscription tiers, Spotify streams at 320kbps, Google Play Music at 320kbps, Rdio at 320kbps and Xbox Music at 192kbps. Apple Music's 256kbps audio quality falls square in the middle; it's not the highest sound quality, but it definitely isn't the lowest.

Why did Apple select 256kbps? Simple: songs downloaded from iTunes are also encoded at 256kbps AAC.

AAC is a codec — a standardized format for digitally encoding and decoding music in a compressed format, similar to MP3. However, AAC was created specifically to retain better audio quality than MP3 at the same bit rates (i.e. to do more with less), and almost all listening tests confirm that it does so. So format matters just as much as bit rate.

Audiophiles will smirk at 256kbps and Spotify and other competitors will no doubt advertise their higher bit rates as reasons why their services are better than Apple Music, but most people simply can't hear the difference between 256kbps and 320kbps, even with the same format.

As I wrote in my review for Neil Young's PonoPlayer, most regular music listeners either don't know what to listen for when comparing high-quality audio with low-quality audio, or use headphones that simply aren't good enough to render the subtle differences accurately.

All that no doubt made the decision easy for Apple: If 256kbps is good enough for iTunes downloads, it's good enough for Apple Music."
Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

HooiserBowhunter

Quote from: defsteve on Jan 30, 2016, 01:26 AM

http://mashable.com/2015/06/30/apple-music-sound-quality/#6zbmP3fpmsq5

"With the exception of Tidal's HiFi tier (1,411 kbps FLAC), all major music streaming services stream at a bit rate below CD quality.

Wow! Knowledge thanks  haha. So the cd is the way to go then. I kind of dig that anyway as a form of nostalgia for me ( God I am slowly getting old).  Itunes is just so convenient to get the album the second it drops.

Comparing the audio quality for paid subscription tiers, Spotify streams at 320kbps, Google Play Music at 320kbps, Rdio at 320kbps and Xbox Music at 192kbps. Apple Music's 256kbps audio quality falls square in the middle; it's not the highest sound quality, but it definitely isn't the lowest.

Why did Apple select 256kbps? Simple: songs downloaded from iTunes are also encoded at 256kbps AAC.

AAC is a codec — a standardized format for digitally encoding and decoding music in a compressed format, similar to MP3. However, AAC was created specifically to retain better audio quality than MP3 at the same bit rates (i.e. to do more with less), and almost all listening tests confirm that it does so. So format matters just as much as bit rate.

Audiophiles will smirk at 256kbps and Spotify and other competitors will no doubt advertise their higher bit rates as reasons why their services are better than Apple Music, but most people simply can't hear the difference between 256kbps and 320kbps, even with the same format.

As I wrote in my review for Neil Young's PonoPlayer, most regular music listeners either don't know what to listen for when comparing high-quality audio with low-quality audio, or use headphones that simply aren't good enough to render the subtle differences accurately.

All that no doubt made the decision easy for Apple: If 256kbps is good enough for iTunes downloads, it's good enough for Apple Music."