Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Diamond Yokan

Started by Draken, Sep 11, 2020, 05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draken

I always felt that Koi No Yokan was sort of a sister album to Diamond Eyes, and Chino has confirmed how I felt in a more recent interview he did in retrospect of all of their albums.

"To me I feel like it's a reprise of Diamond Eyes in a way. They seem very similar to me. Both those records I think compliment each other."

So don't bite my head off or anything but I had this weird idea to kind of combine the two albums into one Deftones record (12 songs is the most they put out and it allows for equal amounts between the two). I like both records but I thought it'd be fun to take the more "Deftones core" sounding songs from each and track them together. What if those two sessions took their best songs (like an elimination round) and made it one cohesive experience? Now it's definitely subjective and this is my opinion so if you want to share your picks then feel free. Awhile back when I had this idea I was bored so I started a playlist trying to figure out what the "Best Of" would be and what were the "heaviest" and most energetic "Deftones" sounding songs. Imagine if the selection of songs didn't venture far from their original sound in these sessions, what would that record sound like?

and these are my picks for the record:
(BTW keep in mind that we're all just waiting for Ohms so this is just for fun)

1. Diamond Eyes
2. Royal
3. You've Seen The Butcher
4. Prince
5. Rocket Skates
6. Risk
7. Swerve City
8. Leathers
9. Poltergeist
10. Tempest
11. Rosemary
12. Goon Squad

This was really hard to pick and it may change over time, but in the end they are the hard hitters and I left out the ones that were more experimental or softer (with exceptions of course, i.e. CMD/CTRL is not their strongest output, to me... I wanted to include Gauze and Graphic Nature but they couldn't contend with the other 6).

Inkblades

I came up with a few different versions...

Deftones - No Eyes (Best Version)

1. Leathers
2. Royal
3. Gauze
4. Entombed
5. Prince
6. Rocket Skates
7. Sextape
8. Risk
9. 976-EVIL
10. Rosemary
11. This Place Is Death

Notes: This Place Is Death isn't my favorite song or anything, but its psychedelic nature blends nicely with the end of Rosemary and it works well as an epilogue. Poltergeist, Goon Squad and Tempest were close to making it on, but they didn't quite fit. I almost didn't include Entombed but it fits nicely.

Deftones - No Eyes (Heaviest Version)

1. Leathers
2. Royal
3. CMND/CTRL
4. Poltergeist
5. Prince
6. Rocket Skates
7. Gauze
8. Diamond Eyes
9. Graphic Nature
10. Goon Squad

Note: Chino technically screams on both 976-EVIL and Tempest but I wouldn't really consider either heavy in the "Around the Fur" sense of the word lol.

Deftones - No Eyes (Leftover Version)

1. Diamond Eyes
2. Swerve City
3. Romantic Dreams
4. Poltergeist
5. You've Seen the Butcher
6. Beauty School
7. Graphic Nature
8. Tempest
9. Goon Squad
10. What Happened to You?

Note: Still makes for a decent album.

Draken

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 11, 2020, 07:40 PM
Deftones - No Eyes (Heaviest Version)

1. Leathers
2. Royal
3. CMND/CTRL
4. Poltergeist
5. Prince
6. Rocket Skates
7. Gauze
8. Diamond Eyes
9. Graphic Nature
10. Goon Squad

Haha nice! "No Eyes" I love it. I actually really like your tracklisting on the Heaviest Version. That is the best line up for a "Heavy" "Deftones Core" sounding album.

This Place Is Death I sing along to all the time, but it's just such a weird Deftones song to me. I agree, good segue from Rosemary's outro though.

Yes Tempest is not really in line with what they're known for but in my line up I made it a point to include all of the singles, I dunno just because...

ireallywish

Both of these albums are solid, but aren't really my favorite versions of the band. But as similar as they sound, I had pretty different experiences with them.
I loved Diamond Eyes when I first heard it, but gradually it lost its luster and is probably my least favorite album of theirs other than Adrenaline.
KNY I really hated when I first listened, but it's grown on me a lot since then and has some of my all time favorite moments.