Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freedomsoldier17

A handful of their music is definitely more conventional, yeah. As in the catchy riff w/ the "traditional" song style (verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus end). But they've been doing that since the 90s, take ATF(song) and BQAD(radio edit). Maybe they're more radio friendly, but they're not so conventional they lose their unique Deftones style. They're heavy and raw in their respective ways. I mean, you have to have at least one more conventional song to draw in listeners who aren't as familiar with your music. Take Hole in the Earth for example, kinda poppy and radio friendly, so they made that the lead single. But again, doesn't lose its Deftones tinge, such as Frank's atmosphere, Steph's punchy guitar, and the moody singing/lyrics. Same thing went down with Diamond Eyes, Swerve City, and P/T in my opinion.

krook

What do you think about the new in-your-face style of singing that Chino tries on Gore? It appears in the beginning of Geometric Headdress (Hey princess, lay back in your chair / Show us your geometry, see if I stare), at the end of (L)MIRL (Right now / Bear witness / This rebirth / Right now), at the end of Prayers/Triangles (I will never walk this street again).
I always skip it, it's cringeworthy.
I hate White Pony.

rainnyx4

Just because something is "catchy" or written using a "conventional" style doesn't mean it's "radio friendly". "Radio friendly" has a certain connotation that implies a calculated intent on the part of the artist to produce something that will garner them more fans (make them more mainstream) and the resulting increased cash flow, i.e. virtually any overproduced pop artist. It would connote, in the case of the Deftones, a certain amount of selling out. This band has clearly never really cared about how many people like them (how mainstream they are) or how much money they make (of course, they probably wouldn't refuse more cash if they were offered). The closest they ever came to doing something like that was "Back to School" which was written purportedly as a middle finger to the record company; proving how easy it is to have a hit and that they could do it any time they want.

This band has always been about a group of guys making music that THEY like and are proud of. They couldn't care less about being "radio friendly". If it happens to make them famous and a lot of money, that's just a bonus.

B0RNtoR0CK

Quote from: cvthedrv on Aug 06, 2016, 03:15 AM
Nick Raskulinecz became deftones into a radio friendly band.

fuck him.

? They're most mainstream/"radio friendly" album will always be White pony.

Besides, its not even the producer who makes the album "radio friendly" its the record label. How many times has chino said in interviews that the record label changed their songs on white pony (constantly repeating the choruses).

nicklav

Quote from: krook on Aug 06, 2016, 07:36 AM
What do you think about the new in-your-face style of singing that Chino tries on Gore? It appears in the beginning of Geometric Headdress (Hey princess, lay back in your chair / Show us your geometry, see if I stare), at the end of (L)MIRL (Right now / Bear witness / This rebirth / Right now), at the end of Prayers/Triangles (I will never walk this street again).

I'm with you. It totally takes me out of the songs.

ANattyRat

I'm not really a fan of it, but to be fair, he's been doing that for a while. A lot of his screaming is less raw-sounding and more of a scream-shout, if that makes sense. Like Leathers. So I'm used to it, made my peace with it. I like it in Geometric Headdress though, for some reason I think it fits.

illthrowROCKS@U

I agree that the songs from Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan are far more "radio friendly," in the sense that they are more accessible to a wider, more "musically centrist," audience than their previous material.

But I will say. I haven't heard Deftones on the radio as much as I have with the Gore tracks since Minerva. Minerva was on the radio like that was its job. I hear PB and PT on the radio, not as often as I remember Minerva, but still fairly often. I don't remember hearing anything from Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan actually ON the radio, despite it's more "radio friendly" sound.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

pinata89

The only songs that have been in regular rotation on rock stations (around where I live, at least) are "Change (In the House of Flies)" and "Tempest," with the occasional "Swerve City."

I agree that even though their sound has become more radio-friendly since DE, they still haven't broken the wall of being a radio sensation. But, in the same token, radio is not really a good medium to gauge popularity in mainstream music anymore. Radio is beginning to die just as quickly as the physical CD/Vinyl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freedomsoldier17

Looked at one of my city's popular rock radio stations playlists(KROQ, LA area), and not one Deftones play over the last week. There's KYSR 98.7 too but their playlist page isn't working

First time I heard Deftones was change through one of these stations. it was a unique experience

rainnyx4

Again, just because a band is getting airplay, doesn't mean they've made a conscious decision to "sell out" and make "radio friendly" music. You can make "catchy" music (whatever the fuck that is supposed to mean, I mean that is a fairly subjective term; what is catchy to me, is not necessarily catchy to someone else) with "conventional" song structures (this is also a dumb statement, because virtually every band will on occasion write verse, chorus, verse songs, and this band has been writing songs with similar formats since day 1) without being a "radio friendly, sell out" band.

This band has an incredible amount of "underground" fanbase. That is to say, despite the fact that they don't make music that is easily accessible to the "mainstream", due to consistently making high quality music, they have over the years, amassed a dedicated and expanded following that forces commercial outlets to acknowledge their presence. This is synonymous with bands like Tool and Radiohead, who also clearly don't make "radio friendly" music either but are still acknowledged by commercial outlets due to their rabid fanbase.

E-Money

I just really hate that filter or effect they use on his screams on Gore. Sounds terrible to me..

Cullision

I agree it's just plain ugly, that's my problem with this album. So many parts are just actually ugly sounding. In the past they have had abrasive sounds but it was balanced and had context. It sounds like he's shouting into a megaphone.

snw9

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Aug 06, 2016, 05:12 AM

fuck him.

Oh yeah, KNY was so radio friendly. I totally remember hearing Deftones on the radio constantly back then. And all those 14 year old girls raving about Rosemary, man that was so annoying.

The idea that Deftones ever have been or will be "radio friendly" (whatever that means, since I don't think anyone really "listens to the radio" anymore in the classic sense of the phrase) is retarded.

I wouldn't blame the producer here entirely, don't forget the record label has a say as well in this and I think the publicity is good for Deftones in terms of more fans, higher concert sales. Just my thoughts.
Code: [Select]

Inkblades

fuck him.

Remember that Diamond Eyes was written soon after Chi's accident. It's clear they wanted to create an album that sounded hopeful and positive, so you can't really assign the "conceived commerciality" entirely to Raskulinincez, no matter what you may think of him as a producer.

tower

Gore is good, although I'm slightly divided on it. As others have pointed out, it's the sound quality/mix. I actually think all the songs are solid and that's the only drawback. Even live I felt the gore songs had lower sound quality. I was at the Philly show and acid hologram sounded muddled up compared to tempest which they killed.

LMIRL takes a jarring turn from the amazing beginning but I'm getting used to it as with all Deftones albums

LG95

The transitioning between songs on Gore is absolutely brilliant. Really neat ideas that make the album flow so well.
I could float here forever

defTHE1s

Don't know if it has been noticed before but, Deftones have been teasing us with some Gore stuff since 2015. More specific, check this vid at the end of Headup and see whatyou hear:

DEFTONES (Santiago Gets Louder 2015) Audio
https://youtu.be/YTpmUaqgwJQ?t=1h15m45s

And don't know if it was done before that year or until the new shows they did beginning this year but used as an intro.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

FlyingPiranha

Gotta say, Gore didn't do much for me when it first dropped in April, but after seeing some of the songs live last week I've found a whole new appreciation for it. I don't think I was in the right "mood" for a new Deftones album at the time, and it just never really clicked with me or made me want to go back for more listens, but now it's all I want to hear. I still wish the production wasn't so muddy sounding, but man, Hearts/Wires, Rubicon, Phantom Bride, and (L)MIRL are all top Deftones songs for me right now.
Electric Factory 5.10.2011 // Sherman Theater 3.12.2013 // Sands Bethlehem 8.02.2016 // Festival Pier 6.17.2017

NYRexall

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 03, 2016, 07:33 AM
Quote from: BallZDeeP on Apr 03, 2016, 07:32 AM
Quote from: Lurid Vega on Apr 03, 2016, 07:30 AM
Ballz, check yo email man.

i replied to you cause i was locked out of PM. I cant do shit and feel bad for having everyone think i could pull it off

edit: apparently Hokagay and his fellow creeps over at Jane's ANR.org are still upset about me trolling their site 4 years ago and are harrassing some guy with the email i posted here

get a life already, ladies

cvthedrv

fuck him.