Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANattyRat

You can't blame production for radio-friendly music. Clean, polished sounding heavy metal isn't going to be played next to Justin Bieber. If you don't like what he did with the music, fine, but don't act like he forced the band to make their version of a pop album. Diamond Eyes came after Chi's accident and all of them said during interviews that they wanted to make positive music and wanted to enjoy themselves and be in a good mindset. They pulled themselves from a dark place and found a way to create music from that and chose to do it with more optimistic-sounding music, and it allowed them to carry on making music. If you're going to cry about that because it wasn't produced by Terry Date, or because it makes you feel like Deftones 'sold out', that's your own narrow-mindedness, no-one else's fault.

TheyCallMeP

After listening multiple times to Gore, the song that grew on me the most was Rubicon. It was never a bad song to me, but it's to the point now where I feel like it's one of the highlights of the entire album. I love the spaced out guitar in the chorus with the random high notes during the "face the lights" section. Some reviews have referred to this song having space rock characteristics, what do you all think? Would you want Deftones to explore a more space rock sound on the next album?

Cullision

The first time I listened to rubicon my first thought was "this is some power rangers shit" lol wasn't into it at all. It grew on me a bit but I'm still not a huge fan, it has some really great elements but some that really turn me off as well.

pelican fly

Acid Hologram & Geometric Headdress are my fav tracks from this album.
All the rest flow so well ( Pittura till the end of LMIRL is like one song to me ) though and that's why i love this album more than the last 3.  Yea the mix sucks but I still dig it.

rainnyx4

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck you guys are hearing/thinking. Gore flowing well? Come on, it's almost as disjointed as SNW. I'm betting that you guys that think Gore flows so well also don't think KNY is their most cohesive and smoothly proceeding album.

Also, Rubicon could've been amazing. That chorus is so good. But it is mired by that lazy as fuck verse riff. And yeah, there's a huge space rock influence in that song's chorus. Band should definitely incorporate more of that.

ANattyRat

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Aug 12, 2016, 04:54 AM
Sometimes I don't know what the fuck you guys are hearing/thinking. Gore flowing well? Come on, it's almost as disjointed as SNW. I'm betting that you guys that think Gore flows so well also don't think KNY is their most cohesive and smoothly proceeding album.

Also, Rubicon could've been amazing. That chorus is so good. But it is mired by that lazy as fuck verse riff. And yeah, there's a huge space rock influence in that song's chorus. Band should definitely incorporate more of that.

Wow, people having different opinions about music. Who saw that coming?

rainnyx4

Yeah, you can have different opinions about stuff, but saying that Gore flows well, when it's pretty clear that it doesn't (or at least nowhere near as well as KNY did, which has become almost universally reviled on this site for some reason), just makes people look goofy and like they don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Aug 12, 2016, 08:00 AM
Yeah, you can have different opinions about stuff, but saying that Gore flows well, when it's pretty clear that it doesn't (or at least nowhere near as well as KNY did, which has become almost universally reviled on this site for some reason), just makes people look goofy and like they don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

Yes, opinions are great until they're vastly different from mine. Then they're just objectively wrong.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

ANattyRat

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Aug 12, 2016, 08:00 AM

Not really. It makes people look goofy only to people who can't accept that music is subjective. Anyway, Gore flows brilliantly. So does Koi No Yokan, but Gore is the kind of album I need to listen to from beginning to end because of how easily it flows.

Freedomsoldier17

I like the way Chino's vocals flow in general. The way he sings, it's like I'm having a picture painted right in front of me

Inkblades

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Aug 12, 2016, 04:54 AM

Rubicon's verse riffs > What Happened to You's verse riffs :D

sooniletugo

Yo... Rubicon's verse riff is legitimately one of my favourite things on the album. Definitely the most catchy part, love how it closes out the track. It's a great contrast to the chorus which is also insanely catchy and beautiful. Awesome song.

E-Money

I was bumping gore in the car today and was really enjoying it. Rubicon, Lmirl, and Phantom Bride are some of my favorite deftones songs.. And Pittura is really great when turned up loud. Just wish the mix didn't suck so bad.. Definitely my favorite record of the Sergio era. Hoping for one more record with Terry.

TheyCallMeP

I went back and listened to DE and KNY recently and Gore blows both of these albums away. I was a big fan of DE also, but Gore is a step up in every category compared to the last two records. Lyrically, it's a beast. Musically, it's a lot more complex and interesting  (they definitely challenged themselves). I'm rambling now, but Gore is in the top half of their discography for me (with WP, ATF, and S/T). Love it

defTHE1s

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 06, 2016, 11:47 PM

This just in, Stephs prototype new guitar that he'll use on the new record titled Mamadas due out Summer 2020 .. or Winter 2020 .. most likely Spring 2021 though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice album name there  ;D

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

defTHE1s

Quote from: invalidses on Apr 07, 2016, 12:09 AM
yup. still got it... hahahaha! memorieeeeeeees

Can you rip it and share man?
I'm just curious (as sure as most are) of that Night Driver and Digital Bath that suppossedly were the same tracks...
The Untitled bonus is Back to School?

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

pinata89

I too would love to hear those skeleton tracks😐

defTHE1s

Quote from: B0RNtoR0CK on Apr 07, 2016, 06:22 AM
Quote from: Divided_Spirit on Apr 07, 2016, 04:53 AM

OK the clipping on the version I've been listening to is killing me, so if someone could hook me up with that glorious FLAC I would really really fucking appreciate it.
Very lousy production. I understand it has a raw sound but even then there are so many things that could have been corrected. Deftones went through different mixers for a reason and just fuck it and took the first mix.
That's how I also see it.
And not lousy as S/T or others, I feel it in a bad way... It's great when reffering to music and songs itself, but think in some parts the sounds are so satured that one can not easily follow the track of an instrument (eg. I tend to sometimes follow only the voice, drums guitar, etc) to dissect and see what else is there hidden. But as said before, in some songs that turns out to be difficult due to sounds saturation. Name St. Anger's Metallica for an example.

defTHE1s

Quote from: shoop on Apr 07, 2016, 10:30 AM
Quote from: 77years on Apr 07, 2016, 10:11 AM
On acid hologram are they spinning a microphone above the drums? I brought this up about 100 pages back, it sounds eerily similar to other songs that have used that technique. It also does something pretty psychedelic to the mix once it's done
I don't hear it. I've yet to listen to the album with headphones though
I don't understand at all that part, can you give a more specific example or what part of the song you hear that?

pinata89

Had a dream last night that Deftones released a Special Edition version of Gore featuring "Crest" and a song called "Something Like It".... It was weird and cool. The artwork was the bird used on their Instagram post for "Doomed User." Bizarre, but I found it true until I woke up.