Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeftonesNZ

Yeah Stef is probably also well aware it's that difference in style that makes the end result unique, sure it can be difficult for him in the beginning because the raw elements of the songs don't really welcome his heavy style so he has to wait to find where he comes in but in the end he said he's happy with the songs, bottom line is neither of them are great guitarists it's the interplay between Chinos pretty guitar and Stefs heavy riffs that make the songs interesting, heavy riffs lose impact if there's no pretty riffs to provide contrast and visa versa, that being said I feel like the mixing in this album was bad for showcasing that, it makes the transitions real flat like in Hearts/Wires the part where the heavy guitar kicks it lacks the impact it should have.

float here 4ever

Quote from: nicklav on Jan 13, 2017, 07:55 AM
Quote from: Sicario on Jan 13, 2017, 03:29 AM
Ok. I've been wanting to say this for months but I'm in the minority with this opinion. I really don't get the love for  (L)MIRL. I love the intro. And the lyrics at that part. But then it shifts to this more upbeat song and it starts so dark. I don't know. Someone explain it to me.

I'm with you. I love the initial vibe and then it sort of peters out for me.

Same here

BewareTheWater

I think it's an overrated track, but still a pretty great one. My favorite ( or at least one of em ) would probably be Geometric Headdress, vastly underrated.

Seven

2 overrated songs, in my opinion!

BewareTheWater

Geometric Headdress is overrated ? I feel like I'm the only one here who even mentions it...

Instrumentals are all over the place, then the chorus kicks in and it's fucking beautiful....

Seven

I was disappointed with the song. Thought there was nothing special about it.

ANattyRat

Quote from: BewareTheWater on Jan 19, 2017, 12:58 AM
Geometric Headdress is overrated ? I feel like I'm the only one here who even mentions it...

Instrumentals are all over the place, then the chorus kicks in and it's fucking beautiful....

I fully agree with you, but I've been praising Geometric Headdress since day one, so you're not the only one. I don't know how so many people dislike it so much, it's magnificent. Lyrically one of my favourite ever songs from the band, too. I remember reading an interview and Chino said that, unlike how he usually writes, he came up with the title first, and then wrote the lyrics based on the title. I wouldn't want all his songs to be like that because he has his own style, but I think in this case it worked brilliantly.

Rubicon? That's overrated. An excellent song, but jeez, every single person was obsessed with it like it was the best song that has ever existed.

Red Pill

Quote from: ANattyRat on Jan 19, 2017, 08:19 AM
Chino said that, unlike how he usually writes, he came up with the title first, and then wrote the lyrics based on the title. I wouldn't want all his songs to be like that
I feel the same way, Geometric is weak.
Chino should keep in mind his unique and vulgar songwriting. Otherwise the lack of conviction behind them will make the lyrics feel stale.

illthrowROCKS@U

Ya'll are nuts. LMIRL is one of the best tracks on Gore, and GH is definitely up there too.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

The Prodigy

Opinions... Weak tracks.

Penicks

gh is fucking shit

E-Money

I think the drums in GH are some of the most pathetic recorded/produced/mixed that I've ever heard. Abe plays so solid all over this record and the drums just sound like shit.

LG95

GH is good but Matt Hyde can get to fuck.
I could float here forever

Reichward

New DAC received today, the bass in GH seems more present and precise than before (although the overwhelming bass of my headphones is starting to annoy me). This track's got some hidden beauty to it. Not a long-time favourite though.

Still a sucker for Acid Hologram however.

Also I agree Matt Hyde is a bigger flaw than any of the music on this record. Almost makes you miss Nick Raskulinecz setting all the knobs and buttons at max.

O

Quote from: Seven on Jan 19, 2017, 01:10 AM
I was disappointed with the song. Thought there was nothing special about it.

defTHE1s

Quote from: E-Money on Jan 20, 2017, 07:57 AM
I think the drums in GORE are some of the most pathetic recorded/produced/mixed that I've ever heard. Abe plays so solid all over this record and the drums just sound like shit.
Fixed.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

stephtones

Quote from: defTHE1s on Jan 21, 2017, 04:31 AM
I think the drums in GORE are some of the most pathetic recorded/produced/mixed that I've ever heard. Abe plays so solid all over this record and the drums just sound like shit.
Fixed.

Have to agree with this. No idea why they stopped working with Terry Date. Gore is a split for me between really hating Matt Hyde's production and finding the songs to be mostly ok (some of them make me cringe slightly) but not better than what's come before. In terms of live shows to me this means that better songs are being cut for newer material that's just average at best and feels kind of lazy.. just my opinion.

float here 4ever

Agree, still my favourite on the album

The Prodigy

Quote from: stephtones on Jan 21, 2017, 11:47 AM
Quote from: defTHE1s on Jan 21, 2017, 04:31 AM
Fixed.

Gore is a split for me between really hating Matt Hyde's production and finding the songs to be mostly ok (some of them make me cringe slightly) but not better than what's come before. In terms of live shows to me this means that better songs are being cut for newer material that's just average at best

Good point.

Inkblades

Quote from: Reichward on Jan 20, 2017, 11:41 PM
New DAC received today, the bass in GH seems more present and precise than before (although the overwhelming bass of my headphones is starting to annoy me). This track's got some hidden beauty to it. Not a long-time favourite though.

Still a sucker for Acid Hologram however.

Also I agree Matt Hyde is a bigger flaw than any of the music on this record. Almost makes you miss Nick Raskulinecz setting all the knobs and buttons at max.

Yeah, I can't say I'm itching for them to get back into the studio with Matt Hyde. Kind of a shame that the album with some of the best songwriting of the Sergio era also has the worst production.