Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O

Quote from: Red Pill on Jan 19, 2017, 11:06 PM
Quote from: ANattyRat on Jan 19, 2017, 08:19 AM
Quote from: BewareTheWater on Jan 19, 2017, 12:58 AM
Chino said that, unlike how he usually writes, he came up with the title first, and then wrote the lyrics based on the title. I wouldn't want all his songs to be like that
I feel the same way, Geometric is weak.
Chino should keep in mind his unique and vulgar songwriting. Otherwise the lack of conviction behind them will make the lyrics feel stale.

Well said!

Inkblades

Interesting how much of a love it or hate it song Geo is on here. One of my favorites on the album, personally.

people are people

Quote from: Red Pill on Jan 15, 2017, 04:12 AM
Quote from: stephtones on Jan 03, 2017, 10:32 AM
Quote from: Fred Bob on Dec 29, 2016, 03:05 PM
Then Stef is vocal about his input or lack thereof and how his band has moved away from him, hinting that dynamic chemistry that has helped create this special sound between members may have run its course. I always saw the response to this as damage control and once I heard the album felt that was exactly that. This was furthered by news of delayed release dates and issues with mixing, allegedly bringing back Terry Date to mix only to discard it and go with something in between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbVsw6MefOQ&t

Clip from recent interview with Stef where he mentions having "no one to count on for practically anything" as a support system mixed with "making the most of it" when recording the album gave me bad vibes. I tend to agree with his "please, let's not be in a rush" attitude to them putting out another Deftones record. Gore is easily my least favorite album they've released.

Exactly... Gore 5/10

Good stuff...

Quote from: Seven on Jan 19, 2017, 12:42 AM
2 overrated songs, in my opinion!

ANattyRat

Quote from: Inkblades on Jan 23, 2017, 12:56 AM
Quote from: Reichward on Jan 20, 2017, 11:41 PM
New DAC received today, the bass in GH seems more present and precise than before (although the overwhelming bass of my headphones is starting to annoy me). This track's got some hidden beauty to it. Not a long-time favourite though.

Still a sucker for Acid Hologram however.

Also I agree Matt Hyde is a bigger flaw than any of the music on this record. Almost makes you miss Nick Raskulinecz setting all the knobs and buttons at max.

Yeah, I can't say I'm itching for them to get back into the studio with Matt Hyde. Kind of a shame that the album with some of the best songwriting of the Sergio era also has the worst production.

They didn't seem happy with it either, so I highly doubt they'll be working with him again, to be honest.

LG95

Yeah Abe was complaining about the guitar being too loud in the mix not that long after it came out.

I have full trust in the band to go in whatever direction they want to musically - they've earned it by getting to this stage of their career and not having a single mediocre album in their back catalogue - but Terry Date HAS to produce the next record. He just has to.
I could float here forever

The Prodigy

Diamond Eyes = mediocre

LG95

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
I could float here forever

Penicks

yeah lmao, it's not mediocre

it's shit

The Prodigy

people are people

Opinions ... but yeah, I just really feel like DE was their weakest effort to date...

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: people are people on Jan 24, 2017, 02:33 AM
Opinions ... but yeah, I just really feel like DE was their weakest effort to date...

Me too. I think DE is their weakest album, with KNY being better but still rather weak. Personally I feel Gore was a big step up from their previous 2 efforts.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

The Prodigy

Quote from: The Prodigy on Jan 21, 2017, 09:35 PM
Quote from: stephtones on Jan 21, 2017, 11:47 AM
Quote from: defTHE1s on Jan 21, 2017, 04:31 AM
Quote from: E-Money on Jan 20, 2017, 07:57 AM
I think the drums in GORE are some of the most pathetic recorded/produced/mixed that I've ever heard. Abe plays so solid all over this record and the drums just sound like shit.
Fixed.

Gore is a split for me between really hating Matt Hyde's production and finding the songs to be mostly ok (some of them make me cringe slightly) but not better than what's come before. In terms of live shows to me this means that better songs are being cut for newer material that's just average at best

I feel this way!

defTHE1s

Quote from: ANattyRat on Jan 23, 2017, 10:53 AM
Quote from: Inkblades on Jan 23, 2017, 12:56 AM
Quote from: Reichward on Jan 20, 2017, 11:41 PM
New DAC received today, the bass in GH seems more present and precise than before (although the overwhelming bass of my headphones is starting to annoy me). This track's got some hidden beauty to it. Not a long-time favourite though.

Still a sucker for Acid Hologram however.

Also I agree Matt Hyde is a bigger flaw than any of the music on this record. Almost makes you miss Nick Raskulinecz setting all the knobs and buttons at max.

Yeah, I can't say I'm itching for them to get back into the studio with Matt Hyde. Kind of a shame that the album with some of the best songwriting of the Sergio era also has the worst production.

They didn't seem happy with it either, so I highly doubt they'll be working with him again, to be honest.
Let's pray the Lord!

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

BewareTheWater

Are y'all kidding ? Both DE and KNY have some amazing tracks.

Penicks

KING KONG

GET SOME

I PROMISE

TO WATCH AND RAISE YOUR BABIES

Reichward

DE was never intended to be anything else than "not Eros". Koi was written in very similar circumstances. You can tell that they didn't really give a shit at the time. I like them, but I feel they represent a less impactful and important part of their career. Gore seems like a much more "serious" album, in spite of any flaws it can have.

BewareTheWater

Quote from: Penicks on Jan 24, 2017, 10:36 PM
KING KONG

GET SOME

I PROMISE

Both are still awesome songs, despite the questionable king kong line you just referenced.

Sometimes I wonder if any of y'all are even actual Deftones fans, considering all most of you do is shit on them. You don't have to worship every single thing they did, and you don't have to have the same opinion, but you shouldn't have to go out of your way to mock a band you supposedly like, either...

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: BewareTheWater on Jan 24, 2017, 10:09 PM

Oh definitely, without a doubt these albums have great tracks. Rosemary is amazing, Royal is great, I like Poltergeist, Leathers, and WHTY? But there are also a lot of boring songs. For me, these two albums hold the two weakest Deftones singles of their entire career, Tempest and You've Seen the Butcher. Both of which are just a bit boring to me. Romantic Dreams was too disjointed, which is a sort of forumla that I believe they did much better on Gore with songs like AH and GH.

The second half of DE is, to me, the weakest stretch of any Deftones album to date. KNY was certainly a step up from the "averageness" that was DE (again, for me), but still lacking something. In the end, DE and KNY are basically sister albums, with KNY being almost just an extension and evolution of the sound from DE. It was a sound I'm happy they've departed from.

Keep in mind, that when I say "weakest," that it doesn't mean these songs are terrible. It just means that, to me, I consider the songs on Gore and the older work to be superior.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

BewareTheWater

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Jan 24, 2017, 11:26 PM
Quote from: BewareTheWater on Jan 24, 2017, 10:09 PM

Oh definitely, without a doubt these albums have great tracks. Rosemary is amazing, Royal is great, I like Poltergeist, Leathers, and WHTY? But there are also a lot of boring songs. For me, these two albums hold the two weakest Deftones singles of their entire career, Tempest and You've Seen the Butcher. Both of which are just a bit boring to me. Romantic Dreams was too disjointed, which is a sort of forumla that I believe they did much better on Gore with songs like AH and GH.

The second half of DE is, to me, the weakest stretch of any Deftones album to date. KNY was certainly a step up from the "averageness" that was DE (again, for me), but still lacking something. In the end, DE and KNY are basically sister albums, with KNY being almost just an extension and evolution of the sound from DE. It was a sound I'm happy they've departed from.

Keep in mind, that when I say "weakest," that it doesn't mean these songs are terrible. It just means that, to me, I consider the songs on Gore and the older work to be superior.
Fair enough. I'd agree that Tempest is a weak single, but I'd assume it was made a single because it's a much more accessible, " radio-friendly " Deftones song. Aside from that particular song, KNY as a whole is a much more experimental, "shoe-gazey " sound . I wouldn't say it's the same sound as Diamond Eyes myself. As far as the second half of DE, I find Prince to be a hard hitting track ( I can never get enough of the " DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DERRRN " riff, lol ) Rocket Skates to be another one, Sextape to be one of the most beautiful and ethereal songs they've done, Risk to be a pretty entertaining track , and as for 976-EVIL, I guess I can give you that one. That's definitely a track you can go to sleep on , lol. But This Place Is Death is a pretty great album closer. I've actually made a video for it recently .

Reichward

Quote from: BewareTheWater on Jan 24, 2017, 11:20 PM
Quote from: Penicks on Jan 24, 2017, 10:36 PM
KING KONG

GET SOME

I PROMISE

Both are still awesome songs, despite the questionable king kong line you just referenced.

Sometimes I wonder if any of y'all are even actual Deftones fans, considering all most of you do is shit on them. You don't have to worship every single thing they did, and you don't have to have the same opinion, but you shouldn't have to go out of your way to mock a band you supposedly like, either...

I think you can tell how people are fans by how much they take things too seriously. Like I said I consider these albums to be part of the inferior half of the catalog, but it didn't break my heart either (I enjoy them a lot actually). Still, for a lot of people on a Deftones fan forums, feelings are involved when a new album drops out.

Besides, Penick's commentary never fails to amuse me.