Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O

ANattyRat

Quote from: BewareTheWater on Jan 24, 2017, 08:09 PM
Are y'all kidding ? Both DE and KNY have some amazing tracks.

Having great tracks doesn't mean an album isn't mediocre by the band's usual standards. Diamond Eyes is my least favourite album, but my least favourite Deftones album is still pretty damn awesome.

Quote from: Reichward on Jan 24, 2017, 09:07 PM
DE was never intended to be anything else than "not Eros". Koi was written in very similar circumstances. You can tell that they didn't really give a shit at the time. I like them, but I feel they represent a less impactful and important part of their career. Gore seems like a much more "serious" album, in spite of any flaws it can have.

Actually, they wrote Diamond Eyes because after Chi's accident, they all wanted to come together and make something positive and optimistic-sounding. KNY is likely an expansion upon that mindset, whereas enough time has passed that Gore is more of their usual kind of album that doesn't try to stick to one sound or mood.

They could've made another self-titled album after Chi, another very dark, hopeless kind of album that, musically, many of us would've loved. But they didn't want to, they wanted to be hopeful instead of depressed, so we ended up with Diamond Eyes. For better or worse, I credit their making of that album with keeping them together and happy to make more music.

jbmp1390

As long as they're making music together I'm happy. With so much crap out nowadays, we're just lucky they're still together and continuing to make incredible music. Plus I've always appreciated the fact that while they may love their fans, they never do anything musically FOR the fans. They do it for themselves and if others like it great.

Can I use this chair? Seriously can I use it?

Red Pill

It doesn't matter they're making music together..if the álbum is mediocre.

ANattyRat

Quote from: Red Pill on Jan 26, 2017, 10:34 PM
It doesn't matter they're making music together..if the álbum is mediocre.

It matters a lot. They can make a techno album if they want to. Lots of people would hate it, but if it made them happy and was something they're passionate about, it matters a lot. You're just thinking of it from a selfish point of view, that if you don't love the music, you don't care that they're making music together. But there's more going on than just how you respond to their latest album.

Sicario

The disdain for DE is fascinating. It was my first Deftones record so I am admittedly biased. But it's not that bad. And for all those complaining about the lack of Stephen on Gore, go give DE a replay. It will be refreshing to your ears. Although it was fairly one-dimensional, it was more raw and it sounds a little more gritty than Gore. Gore is great. But it is missing something I can't quite place...
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

stephtones

Quote from: Sicario on Jan 29, 2017, 01:16 AM
The disdain for DE is fascinating. It was my first Deftones record so I am admittedly biased. But it's not that bad. And for all those complaining about the lack of Stephen on Gore, go give DE a replay. It will be refreshing to your ears. Although it was fairly one-dimensional, it was more raw and it sounds a little more gritty than Gore. Gore is great. But it is missing something I can't quite place...

I personally love Diamond Eyes. It was nice to see Chino passionate and healthy again before getting married and the final scream at the end of Royal is probably better than the entirety of Gore to me, personally. I also liked seeing Deftones doing real promotion and releasing multiple music videos for an album instead of a laughable iTunes commercial music video and basically nothing else.

illthrowROCKS@U

I like DE, but I wouldn't call it "raw" or "gritty." Actually, I'd say it's probably the least raw or gritty album of their entire discography. To me, it seems to have a very overly polished sound, which I consider to be the opposite of raw and gritty.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

defTHE1s

Quote from: Penicks on Jan 24, 2017, 08:36 PM
KING KONG

GET SOME

I PROMISE

TO WATCH AND RAISE YOUR BABIES
That's maybe one of the reasons I love the instrumental versions of this two albums. Musically they're really good gold.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

Sicario

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Jan 30, 2017, 03:33 PM

I like DE, but I wouldn't call it "raw" or "gritty." Actually, I'd say it's probably the least raw or gritty album of their entire discography. To me, it seems to have a very overly polished sound, which I consider to be the opposite of raw and gritty.

I suppose raw and gritty weren't the best of words and I certainly don't think of it as a raw or gritty album. I guess I meant the guitars are more pronounced and deep to me. Heavier. Like on Diamond Eyes and Royal and You've Seen the Butcher etc. Doomed User, Gore and Hearts/Wires remind me of DE as far as sound.
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

boogabear123

Would anyone agree that even after being a long time 'Tones fan that Gore was rather mind boggling? I didn't necessarily like it at first personally cause I felt Chino took too much control...but honestly it's gotta be one of the most expansive, enriching albums they've done. It's got very neat, beautiful depth to it.

stephtones

Quote from: boogabear123 on Jan 31, 2017, 08:45 AM
Would anyone agree that even after being a long time 'Tones fan that Gore was rather mind boggling? I didn't necessarily like it at first personally cause I felt Chino took too much control...but honestly it's gotta be one of the most expansive, enriching albums they've done. It's got very neat, beautiful depth to it.

Gore has more of a jumping the shark vibe to me over being anything close to mind boggling, even the title track that feels like it's supposed to be heavy or whatever but just drags on... and on... and on.

Red Pill

Gore has more of a platform to the wannabe songwriters,  lyrics lack conviction...

musteatbrains

For me, Gore marks a low point in the Deftones career, and I'm not sure if they'll ever bounce back from it.  It sounds like a band trying to do their best Deftones impression between the music and lyrics.  Some songs like Gore and Doomed User are heavy for the sake of being heavy, but in the end not very compelling between bland riffs, strained vocals, and uninspired lyrics.  The whole album in fact is filled with pedestrian lyrics that ultimately say nothing and come off either forced or insipid.  Chino's faltering voice does nothing to push their immediacy either.  It appears the sedentary, unencumbered life, while making for a happier existence for the band, also makes for a boring performance that serves as merely the fulfillment of a servant obligation enabling the band to tour, get some press, and sell some outrageously-priced yet also uninspired merchandise.  It's a sad state of affairs, but after almost 30 years it's also not that much of a shocker.

stephtones

Quote from: musteatbrains on Jan 31, 2017, 02:15 PM
...and sell some outrageously-priced yet also uninspired merchandise. 

Let's just put a white pony logo on anything and everything. They'll buy it.

boogabear123

For me, Gore marks a low point in the Deftones career, and I'm not sure if they'll ever bounce back from it.  It sounds like a band trying to do their best Deftones impression between the music and lyrics.  Some songs like Gore and Doomed User are heavy for the sake of being heavy, but in the end not very compelling between bland riffs, strained vocals, and uninspired lyrics.  The whole album in fact is filled with pedestrian lyrics that ultimately say nothing and come off either forced or insipid.  Chino's faltering voice does nothing to push their immediacy either.  It appears the sedentary, unencumbered life, while making for a happier existence for the band, also makes for a boring performance that serves as merely the fulfillment of a servant obligation enabling the band to tour, get some press, and sell some outrageously-priced yet also uninspired merchandise.  It's a sad state of affairs, but after almost 30 years it's also not that much of a shocker.

I felt this way for a good bit of Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan. The boring riffs and uninspired lyrics bit, I just flat out avoided the albums for the longest time. It wasn't until I went back through them carefully listening to each song that I found tons of joy in hearing it...and I did the same with Gore and I found that it personally is one of my favorite 'Tones album. I feel that Deftones isn't at all the most technical band, to me they are very simple and that's what makes me love them. When I pick up my guitar to play a Deftones song I feel laid back and confident. With Gore, it's the same thing, when I first heard it I hated it, thought it derived too much from who they originally were, but when I found myself going back to it I felt that it had some very ambitious songs, like Phantom Bride or even Pittura Infamente, which still sounds odd to me but the way the song progresses impressed me and made me giddy, I felt this way with Rosemary from KNY. Now for songs like Doomed User and Gore, those took more time to settle cause honestly they sound like the brick wall of the deftones discography, I also felt this way for Rocket Skates, I still don't like the song very much cause I feel they tried too much to sound heavy, but whatever your opinion is on Gore, its respectable cause a dude is entitled to his opinion & all. My favorite album is SNW and people make it seem like that's an unpopular opinion, but its no biggie.

Seven

Clap Clap

boogabear123

Quote from: Seven on Feb 01, 2017, 05:17 PM

Clap Clap

It was a well put statement though, I think a lot of older bands tend to go that route, a proper end to a band is hard to achieve. I saw a post on here from 2011 stating that Chino said they were only doing a few more albums for a few more years then ending it, is that confirmed?

stephtones

Revisiting Diamond Eyes like...

! No longer available

Red Pill

Quote from: stephtones on Jan 31, 2017, 10:42 PM
...and sell some outrageously-priced yet also uninspired merchandise. 

Let's just put a white pony logo on anything and everything. They'll buy it.

True story 2!

Now ..
Revisiting Gore líke...