guarnoplo

Wrist without the W  ;D

BewareTheWater

Quote from: guarnoplo on Mar 27, 2017, 04:34 PM
Also, what's wrong with Diamond Eyes?
well, shit, idunno, but WTF IS SO WRONG WITH GORE

illthrowROCKS@U

I can't see how someone can say Gore is better than any other Deftones album. Even when they listen to no more than two songs. I don't know; maybe from a technical view it's better. Not saying that if you like more songs of an album then that album is good.

I feel the very exact opposite of that guy...

SNW and ST are my two favorites, and DE is by far my least favorite. Koi was much better, but I think Gore is their best album since SNW for sure.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Seven

Yup, DE is my least favorite. KNY is weak. Gore is the worst!

nicklav

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Mar 27, 2017, 06:51 PM
I can't see how someone can say Gore is better than any other Deftones album. Even when they listen to no more than two songs. I don't know; maybe from a technical view it's better. Not saying that if you like more songs of an album then that album is good.

I feel the very exact opposite of that guy...

SNW and ST are my two favorites, and DE is by far my least favorite. Koi was much better, but I think Gore is their best album since SNW for sure.

Agreed.

Red Pill

Quote from: Red Pill on Feb 18, 2017, 02:50 AM
Quote from: The Prodigy on Feb 16, 2017, 07:59 PM
Quote from: musteatbrains on Jan 31, 2017, 02:15 PM
For me, Gore marks a low point in the Deftones career, and I'm not sure if they'll ever bounce back from it.  It sounds like a band trying to do their best Deftones impression between the music and lyrics.  Some songs like Gore and Doomed User are heavy for the sake of being heavy, but in the end not very compelling between bland riffs, strained vocals, and uninspired lyrics.  The whole album in fact is filled with pedestrian lyrics that ultimately say nothing and come off either forced or insipid.  Chino's faltering voice does nothing to push their immediacy leither.  It appears the sedentary, unencumbered life, while making for a happier existence for the band, also makes for a boring performance that serves as merely the fulfillment of a servant obligation enabling the band to tour, get some press, and sell some outrageously-priced yet also uninspired merchandise.  It's a sad state of affairs, but after almost 30 years it's also not that much of a shocker.
This is Gore!

ANattyRat

I can't see how someone can say Gore is better than any other Deftones album.

Different opinions and musical tastes, that's how. Everyone wants different things from a band as diverse as Deftones. Sometimes I feel like Gore is my favourite Deftones album, but I think it's because it's not as old as WP and ST, so although it's not still hyped up for me, the songs haven't been played as much as songs from the other albums. But even so, it's easily in my top three. It's hard to explain. Firstly, I love pretty much all Deftones songs, obsessively, so I'm not a music critic or anything. I guess for me it just feels like a return to their pre Diamond Eyes music.

See, Diamond Eyes was a positive, optimistic album. They've said so themselves, they needed to make music to get through what happened to Chi and they tried to make something optimistic. Which is great, but I've always loved their darker, moodier music. KNY is like an expansion of that Diamond Eyes sound; more creative and an evolution of it, but still in that same mindset. Gore is like...them being unafraid to let other emotions seep into their music. The lyrics and the music take on a much darker tone (not always) than anything from DE and KNY, yet it isn't another WP or ST. But yeah, anyway, I love Gore.

On a separate note, I think (L)MIRL would easily be my favourite Deftones song of all time if they hadn't switched the mood halfway through to something happier. I've made my peace with it and I still love it, but that intro is absolutely beautiful, reminds me of Digital Bath, and the first half, the depressing-sounding part...I just wish they'd carried that atmosphere through to the rest of the song.

Inkblades

You kinda just answered your own question there, didn't you?  ;D

But in all seriousness, I'll tell you why I like Gore more than some of their other albums. I think Gore is definitely better than Adrenaline and Koi because the songwriting feels more varied and exploratory. Adrenaline's a fun record, but a lot of the songs feel very similar. I guess the songwriting on Koi is okay, but I dunno, I just don't feel much from that album. It doesn't move me. I'd probably love it if had been the first Deftones album I'd ever heard. Admittedly, Koi has better production, but I'll take interesting songwriting over slick production.

I'm on the fence about it being better than SNW and DE. SNW might actually have more exploratory songwriting than Gore, but the production is just as bad and it's not as cohesive as an album. SNW has so many brilliant moments, but they feel so patched together. DE isn't as exploratory as either of those albums, but I admire how it's a tight, no frills album.

A lot of people don't here like it, but Diamond Eyes is a good record. If I had a complaint, I think a couple of the singles try too hard to be radio-friendly (Diamond Eyes and Sextape, specifically), but the deep cuts are solid. But if Gore had the production of DE and KNY, it would easily be the best album of the Sergio era.

Red Pill

Quote from: BewareTheWater on Mar 27, 2017, 06:49 PM
well, shit, idunno, but WTF IS SO WRONG WITH GORE
This! Do you get it!
Quote from: Red Pill on Mar 27, 2017, 11:26 PM
Quote from: Red Pill on Feb 18, 2017, 02:50 AM
Quote from: The Prodigy on Feb 16, 2017, 07:59 PM
Quote from: musteatbrains on Jan 31, 2017, 02:15 PM
For me, Gore marks a low point in the Deftones career, and I'm not sure if they'll ever bounce back from it.  It sounds like a band trying to do their best Deftones impression between the music and lyrics.  Some songs like Gore and Doomed User are heavy for the sake of being heavy, but in the end not very compelling between bland riffs, strained vocals, and uninspired lyrics.  The whole album in fact is filled with pedestrian lyrics that ultimately say nothing and come off either forced or insipid.  Chino's faltering voice does nothing to push their immediacy leither.  It appears the sedentary, unencumbered life, while making for a happier existence for the band, also makes for a boring performance that serves as merely the fulfillment of a servant obligation enabling the band to tour, get some press, and sell some outrageously-priced yet also uninspired merchandise.  It's a sad state of affairs, but after almost 30 years it's also not that much of a shocker.
This is Gore!

laurapalmer

While Diamond Eyes and KNY are far from the best Deftones records, they sound fantastic. If Gore sounded the way they did you'd all be sucking it's dick.

Penicks

diamond eyes sounds like a motor boat

snw9

Quote from: Penicks on Mar 31, 2017, 06:21 PM
diamond eyes sounds like a motor boat

You mean Risk? I still like DE though.
Code: [Select]

O

The 3 sound bad...

BewareTheWater

Holy FUCK can people be such snobs.

guarnoplo

Red Pill

Yeah snob they can...

guarnoplo

Quote from: laurapalmer on Mar 31, 2017, 10:37 AM
While Diamond Eyes and KNY are far from the best Deftones records, they sound fantastic. If Gore sounded the way they did you'd all be sucking it's dick.
the thing is I'm biased with new things from artists I like. I like songs from Gore, and I don't hate it. But I don't feel it Deftones.
I don't knolaskfjafhqwi9fhowifqnf

Fred Bob

Gore isn't comparable to the rest of the catalogue, and that's the point. I don't think its any better or worse than the rest of their output. It may not be for everyone but taken on it's own terms, I think it's a great album.

It's when I see people saying DE is rubbish, I realise that comparing output from 1999 to 2010 or 2016 is pointless. The reason they are still a creative entity is that they are engaged with what they do. DE came out in the shadow of Chi's accident, and Gore in his passing.  And what I take from it is that they dont dwell on being unhappy, like besides some lines that could be interpreted as referencing Chi, it was more about the overall feel the album gave that the content. Rocket Skates is more than 'guns, razors, knives' It's about remembering that you are alive, and that feeling of seizing it, and not over thinking it. It took me ages to come around to the great qualities of that album outside of the singles, I was stuck on 'it doesnt have the corrosive edge of S/T, or the weird range of SNW'....

I think alot of people on the board who are so down on their output since S/T need to move along, for their own sakes. If it's not working for you, the output of someone else's creativity is not yours to change and only your interpretation is going to change for better or worse. I haven't listened to ATF or WP in ages, they are encased in a teenage hall of fame for me, which is fine. For lots of my friends, even the one who got me into them, that was as far as they went. But as an adult, S/T, DE and Gore mean alot more to me.

kurtone

Quote from: Fred Bob on Apr 04, 2017, 09:31 AM
Gore isn't comparable to the rest of the catalogue, and that's the point. I don't think its any better or worse than the rest of their output. It may not be for everyone but taken on it's own terms, I think it's a great album.

It's when I see people saying DE is rubbish, I realise that comparing output from 1999 to 2010 or 2016 is pointless. The reason they are still a creative entity is that they are engaged with what they do. DE came out in the shadow of Chi's accident, and Gore in his passing.  And what I take from it is that they dont dwell on being unhappy, like besides some lines that could be interpreted as referencing Chi, it was more about the overall feel the album gave that the content. Rocket Skates is more than 'guns, razors, knives' It's about remembering that you are alive, and that feeling of seizing it, and not over thinking it. It took me ages to come around to the great qualities of that album outside of the singles, I was stuck on 'it doesnt have the corrosive edge of S/T, or the weird range of SNW'....

I think alot of people on the board who are so down on their output since S/T need to move along, for their own sakes. If it's not working for you, the output of someone else's creativity is not yours to change and only your interpretation is going to change for better or worse. I haven't listened to ATF or WP in ages, they are encased in a teenage hall of fame for me, which is fine. For lots of my friends, even the one who got me into them, that was as far as they went. But as an adult, S/T, DE and Gore mean alot more to me.

This is the most intelligent thing that's been posted on here lately. Well said sir.

The Prodigy

You are wrong! It's your opinion "The reason they are still a creative entity is that they are engaged with what they do." I dont share your views!
When we are debating an issue, means giving me your honest opinion, whether you think I'll like it or not. Disagreement, at this stage, stimulates me. But once a decision has been made, the debate ends. Gore still sucks! In my opinion!