Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANattyRat

Quote from: Inkblades on Feb 03, 2016, 10:49 PM
I like it musically, but the vocals aren't really doing it for me either. This is nitpicking, but I don't like how Chino howls the word "prayers". It's kind of annoying and, well, a little off key? It is instantly catchy, though. One listen and it was stuck in my head lol.

I like the vocals but they're nothing special. Nothing we haven't heard before, but I'm assuming this is the chorus, and the sound seems to start to shift towards the end of the teaser, so obviously there's more to the song than heard. I'm very hopeful that this isn't the highlight of the whole album though, haha, so all is well.

The chorus does sound very catchy, very big, quite light and airy, if that makes sense. As for the rest of the song, who knows? But I think the album will live up to its name. I mean, it must do, right? Maybe I'm hyping it up too much, but I am expecting some darker songs on this album, in contrast to the last two albums. Hopefully we'll get some nice haunting, dark music. Whether heavy, soft, or both, I don't care. I'm just ready for a fresh Deftones album.

Yep, I'm definitely hyped.

cvthedrv

Quote from: E-Money on Feb 03, 2016, 10:54 PM
Quote from: cvthedrv on Feb 03, 2016, 10:29 PM
Quote from: theataraxian on Feb 03, 2016, 09:38 PM
Quote from: E-Money on Feb 03, 2016, 09:32 PMAlready so much better than swerve city for an album opener. Thank God!

Whaaaaaat

Swerve City is one of the greatest album openers of all time, imo.

i dunno, but swerve city is a really good show opener.

Just saw them open With it in venture and I still didn't like it. I don't know why I have just never been able to get into that song. To each his own.

i dont like that song either, but at least is better than diamond eyes.

E-Money

It's either safe or saved. They both make sense to me.

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: theataraxian on Feb 03, 2016, 10:49 PM

As far as the backing vocals, I'm leaning towards Sergio. Doesn't sound like just Chino to me.

It still is very much Chino in the background, but to me it sounds like Sergio is in the mix as well, just repeating the words prayers and triangles

defTHE1s

Well, I've listened to the teaser only a couple of times and after a while, I've forgotten what I've heard (for real) and now I've got the chorus to Leathers stuck in my head. Kind of similar?

@DIamond Eyes vs Swerve City: DE totally wins at least for me.
Even live Diamond Eyes do it better for me.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

Freedomsoldier17

the prominent backing vocals definitely caught me off guard, but considering deftones have always experimented with each album i'm not surprised
they've decided to try it. i think i'll adjust to it completely in a few listens

as for the guitar its epic as fuck. it honestly soars into the heavens like those flamingoes. abe's still got the solid punch on drums too.

E-Money

Quote from: Freedomsoldier17 on Feb 03, 2016, 11:28 PM
the prominent backing vocals definitely caught me off guard, but considering deftones have always experimented with each album i'm not surprised
they've decided to try it. i think i'll adjust to it completely in a few listens

as for the guitar its epic as fuck. it honestly soars into the heavens like those flamingoes. abe's still got the solid punch on drums too.

Yup haven't heard guitars from them that are this great in a while. That's what's got me the most excited!

Gaz

Prayers / Triangles sounds big and fresh, I loved the vocals and backing vocals, the guitar sounds epic also, promising stuff!!

Hinojos

On "You will never be saved" I think that it can also be "You will never listen" which makes sense to me, but that would mean he's pronouncing the word "leeesin" which is kind of awkward, so I doubt it's that. I can kind of hear the "F" too but other than the word "faint" I can't distinguish it.

pelican fly

Great sound. 

I hope some of these songs go in different directions like some songs on Palms.

Inkblades

I just hope the vocals/production on Gore are better than the vocals on Palms, because, well, the vocals/production on Palms is awful.

pelican fly

Quote from: Inkblades on Feb 03, 2016, 11:42 PM
I just hope the vocals/production on Gore are better than the vocals on Palms, because, well, the vocals/production on Palms is awful.

Amen.

xbloodycape

Sounds like the first chord Steph plays is

E|----
B|----
G|-10-
D|-10-
A|-8--
E|-9--
B|----

Then he switches up to

E|----
B|----
G|-13-
D|-13-
A|-11-
E|----
B|----

which could also be: (sounds fuller)

E|---
B|-9-
G|-8-
D|-6-
A|-6-
E|---
B|---

Lead sounds like this:

E|-8-----8--------
B|----9-----9-----
G|-------------10-
D|----------------
A|----------------
E|----------------
B|----------------

With some quieter

E|-8-----8-----8----
B|----9-----9-----9-
G|------------------
D|------------------
A|------------------
E|------------------
B|------------------

repeating in the background

ClevelandCaliRyder

"I can't wait for new stuff!!"

"OMG I hate the new stuff!!!11!"

that was quick.

ANattyRat

Quote from: ClevelandCaliRyder on Feb 04, 2016, 12:11 AM

that was quick.

Literally no-one has said that. Some people don't like the teaser, it's hardly a complaint about their new album. If people can love and be excited about it, people can dislike it too.

Entombed

Quote from: ANattyRat on Feb 04, 2016, 12:16 AM
Quote from: ClevelandCaliRyder on Feb 04, 2016, 12:11 AM

that was quick.

Literally no-one has said that. Some people don't like the teaser, it's hardly a complaint about their new album. If people can love and be excited about it, people can dislike it too.

Totally agree. I wasn't crazy about the clip's vocals, but the production value sounds really good & the instrumentation on the track is solid as well. At the very least, it sounds new, which is one of the reasons I love the Deftones.
Tell the one about the man who dug holes so deep, he lost sight of his word.

Val

Now that ive listened to it; the vocals have too much similarity to Palms. I personally hated Palms for various reasons (mix, vocals, repetitive phrases ect). My gripe thats dawned on me is how repetitious/on the nose the use of "prayers" and "triangles" is. I hope it doesn't drag out over the entire track.

pelican fly

Quote from: Val on Feb 04, 2016, 12:49 AM
Now that ive listened to it; the vocals have too much similarity to Palms. I personally hated Palms for various reasons (mix, vocals, repetitive phrases ect).

Solid songs though. It's not like it's not listenable but I can understand the view you have. I know Chino said he did the vocals after he heard the music, but I hope he brings some of that same kind of unpredictability and atmosphere to this new Tones record.

I hope this record will be different but refreshing and familiar.

gwenudo

You guys should read the comments on the article on ThePRP.com lol so much hate on this new teaser xD
Was it like it seemed?...

bewareofrats

I don't know what a few people are talking about calling the vocals on here different or surprising.  Chino sounds way too much like he did on KNY here and that was the main problem with that album.  It seems like he's worried about sounding mainstream and feels the need to always sing (or over-sing) now.  If the album is similar it's going to get boring fast.  The music sounds pretty good, nice to hear guitar that isn't so low and thick.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847