Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cullision

When I first listened through this whole album all the way through my ears were ringing and I wasn't playing it any louder than I play other music all the time. I think there might be something to that whole "this mix hurts my ears" thing.

LG95

Quote from: sooniletugo on Apr 27, 2016, 01:42 AM
Quote from: 77years on Apr 26, 2016, 10:04 PM
8 zillion listens and still not a single filler track for me. End to end fantastic

Agreed brozilla 

It's a great album.
It's just brilliant isn't it? I get why there are some that can't feel it - it's a challenging record and it's definitely a different record to what they've done before. But anyone who thinks it's badly done or badly written is just plain wrong.

I just adore the fact that this band are, at this stage of their career, still writing new music that challenges a fanbase and explores new areas. You can take it for granted with Deftones because they're so consistently great but there really are so few bands that get to this point whilst still writing really good/great albums. Gore isn't up there with White Pony, Around The Fur or the S/T but it's a step up on DE and KNY and it's a great album for where they're at right now.
I could float here forever

whitefur

Quote from: Cullision on Apr 27, 2016, 08:19 AM
When I first listened through this whole album all the way through my ears were ringing and I wasn't playing it any louder than I play other music all the time. I think there might be something to that whole "this mix hurts my ears" thing.

Of course there is something to it. It's fatiguing.....harsh. Even at lower volumes. Tinny and terrible. It pisses me off.

whitefur

If you really want to get pissed: play the Gore album and then throw in Needles and Pins (amazing mix and wall of sound).

nicklav

Quote from: whitefur on Apr 27, 2016, 06:02 PM

Of course there is something to it. It's fatiguing.....harsh. Even at lower volumes. Tinny and terrible. It pisses me off.

I didn't really get it until i played the first 4 albums back to back into Gore on a long drive. Now it's all I hear. The mix is just so awful. Also, the title track sounds like it was part of another album. Vocals are super low in the mix.

nicklav

Quote from: pelican fly on Apr 27, 2016, 04:55 AM
on a subtle note, Abe totally rules on this album
don't give me none of that " the mix is poo poo and he's lost innit durrr..."

this is simply some of his best work

The mix IS bad, but Abe is a beast all over this thing. I think it's some of his best ever.

wkcwkc

Quote from: 77years on Apr 26, 2016, 10:04 PM
8 zillion listens and still not a single filler track for me. End to end fantastic

100% agreed. 

Vesanic

It's true, the mix is... eh. It just doesn't melt in your ears.

Slacker

gwenudo

Quote from: Slacker on Apr 28, 2016, 02:43 PM
matt hyde's interview is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duK2_nfD5CM
Im at work and cant watch till after, anything worth noting?
Was it like it seemed?...

whitefur

Quote from: Slacker on Apr 28, 2016, 02:43 PM
matt hyde's interview is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duK2_nfD5CM

"Hey Matt, you fucked up Gore." - lol

Good lord.
The way he talks:
"I don't know everything about the details"
"I was under the impression....."
"I guess we had....."
"I think had a special mod, little channel mod, Ok. Five position thing"
"Whatever the biggest thing is.......is gonna be how big the thing is"
"I mixed the record as well. Um, I didn't start out thinking I was going to mix the record, um, I didn't start out thinking I was going to do the record"
"Regular scale guitar tuned down to god know's what"
"You listen to this record and the average listener is probably not going to know who's playing what"

I'm under the impression that he has no clue on how to record the Fractal.

And he calls Deftones, the Deftones.

pelican fly

Quote from: nicklav on Apr 27, 2016, 06:47 PM

The mix IS bad, but Abe is a beast all over this thing. I think it's some of his best ever.

Never said it wasn't . Just was saying I can still hear him do his thing and yes, he is awesome on this album.

Lol at that Matt Hyde interview. How they have not gone back Terry amazes me. Eros was the last time they worked with him right?

LG95

Quote from: pelican fly on Apr 28, 2016, 08:04 PM
Quote from: nicklav on Apr 27, 2016, 06:47 PM

Never said it wasn't . Just was saying I can still hear him do his thing and yes, he is awesome on this album.

Lol at that Matt Hyde interview. How they have not gone back Terry amazes me. Eros was the last time they worked with him right?
It's my one wish for the next album. I still consider Date pretty much the sixth member of Deftones even though they haven't worked with him in so long (apart from an a small contribution to the mix on Gore).
I could float here forever

B_S_79

The direct download from purchasing the vinyl is much better. I was listening to the rip for a while..the mix is still off, but the download from the bands webstore is was less tinny than what I was listening to for a while.

Cullision

They definitely need to get back with Terry Date. I was at the team sleep event in Woodstock and remember standing outside around a fire when Chino told us Matt Hyde was going to produce the next deftones album. I wanted to ask about Terry but it's tough when you're actually standing next to Chino to tell him what he should be doing.

from_musings

not saying anything there at that time - was a good decision. it's not like they would cancel their plans because of what you would've said. good call

stopper

Quote from: Cullision on Apr 29, 2016, 04:18 AM
They definitely need to get back with Terry Date. I was at the team sleep event in Woodstock and remember standing outside around a fire when Chino told us Matt Hyde was going to produce the next deftones album. I wanted to ask about Terry but it's tough when you're actually standing next to Chino to tell him what he should be doing.

What??? How did you get to go to the woodstock sessions?

m1nusblindfoLd

Couple weeks later - I am still enjoying Gore very much. Listen to it often at work and in the car. Almost never skipping a song, except sometimes (L)MIRL and Phantom Bride (both beautiful songs but just not always in the mood for the "sadder" sound they have).
Loving it all though, not sick of any songs and it's amazing listening with some bass and with good headphones or audio system  :D

Good job band.

Shameless pic of my white vinyl being played lol

rainnyx4

I think I've already moved on from this album. This might be the quickest turn around of any of their albums for me. Threw on KNY and WP yesterday. Damn, those albums were pretty much perfect start to finish. Gore is such a let down, after the first three songs I pretty much lose all interest in it.

They need to reevaluate some shit for their next one.

only pieces remain

kny is far from perfect.