5. Acid Hologram
6. Prayers/Triangles
7. Hearts/Wires
8. Pittura Infamante
9. Rubicon
10. Xenon
11. Phantom Bride

lol

Same for the first two. I find that my top two switch between (L)MIRL and Geometric Headdress. Although Acid Hologram grew on me a great deal.

LG95

1. Rubicon
2. Prayers/Triangles
3. Pittura Infamante
4. (L)MIRL
5. Phantom Bride
6. Hearts/Wires
7. Acid Hologram
8.Gore
9. Xenon
10. Geometric Headdress
11. Doomed User

Such a quality record.
I could float here forever

O

They actually mixed the record more than once and still weak!

Fred Bob

Been taking a long time to process this album, some days thinking its excellent the whole way through and other times thinking there are some parts that are not so much. Still do not have a final judgment in my mind but would like to open it up to discuss ideas a bit more. Anyway, to give it context, the hype for this beforehand was major, over 500 of the current 584 pages on this thread were made before the release so it has tapered off since the release. Did the fans get something that they were not expecting or were they in general a bit disappointed. Are they as many layers in the sound to dissect as we were led to believe before the release? Chino stated that he recorded the lyrics in order as per the tracklist as there was some sort of narrative throughout, then cuts Crest as the opening tune?? Then Stef is vocal about his input or lack thereof and how his band has moved away from him, hinting that dynamic chemistry that has helped create this special sound between members may have run its course. I always saw the response to this as damage control and once I heard the album felt that was exactly that. This was furthered by news of delayed release dates and issues with mixing, allegedly bringing back Terry Date to mix only to discard it and go with something in between.

So lots of drama before we heard any music. What was the music like? Well this is where my personal opinion comes in. I think as a major plus it feels like some air has been let in, the production sheen of DE and KNY which neutered those album to some extent (love KNY, it's like their shoegaze album) has been removed. I think using a producer who has been involved in more modern metal albums has loosened up the feel, and makes this a more visceral album. The guys themselves are seasoned at this stage, so if they want to incorporate different textures such as in P/T, they don't necessarily need the producer to engineer it.

On the flip side of this, is something I want to see what other people on the board feel about, namely Stef's input. While I think Chino has advanced as a songwriter and guitar player, he does not have the skills that Stef has in the guitar department. Songs where the riff is central such as DU and Gore, make this really apparent and the riffs do not snap in the way Stef makes them. The chorus riff in Gore is so rudimentary, I can imagine Stef biting his lip and just going, look this is how its done!! The omission of his hammering riffs works to their benefit on Phantom Bride, when it does come in after the solo it album chases away the atmosphere created earlier (to great effect) and also Pittura Infamante, lovely tight playing brings a lovely dimension to the 'On top of the Crux' part. Other than that, the tones used really remind me of 90's guitar sound and that's probably what Chino was going for to make room for more from the bass and keys.

What can I say about the drums? Abe is off the chart, really a consistent player and elevates so many songs. His fills on P/T are amazing but Xexon is great, flipping from the trippy New Wave verses to like 80's stadium rock chorus... love it. Many complaints about the mix relate to how high the drums are. I think they are perfect, however the snare is looser than previous albums which flattens the impact. Listening back to earlier albums, especially up to Self Titled, it's really tight. What I am really surprised with for the type of album that it is, is that Frank seemingly has so little input. I have strained my ears to find little spaces he makes his own, and there is definitely room for it. Don't know where Sergio fits into all of this, as Chino said he had more of a hand in the songwriting but I think its Chino's album in that regard. I don't think he has made his mark in Chi's space, but Chi was a cornerstone, and as with any Deftones album, his presence is felt by his absence.

So to Chino, bringing it back to the lyrics and what you all think. Is there more to the narrative or are they standard Deftones themes? I like the dry distortion that he uses for his screeches now, his voice probably could not take the heavy distortion that he has used previously. This balances against the great vocal harmonies throughout the album, which make songs like L(MIRL) work. I believe there was talk of Fleetwood Mac elements to songs like that, but whatever, its great work. There are a few cringey moment like when he sings 'I'll put this gun to my head...' I find jarring. You're 43 years old man! I can see a 15 year writing that and being like 'That will show them for grounding me...'

Anyway, this is not a review, just my thought and I would love to hear what other people think. They have definitely changed their trajectory with this album which has wrong footed a lot of people. Personally, I love the album, for the very fact after all these months I am still figuring it out. Different things stand out to me each time I listen to it. The last 3 songs blow me away, and finish this strange yet familiar album on a strong, defiant moment about how they are stronger sticking together.

ANattyRat

Quote from: Fred Bob on Dec 29, 2016, 01:05 PM
Then Stef is vocal about his input or lack thereof and how his band has moved away from him, hinting that dynamic chemistry that has helped create this special sound between members may have run its course. I always saw the response to this as damage control and once I heard the album felt that was exactly that.

They've always been like that. The chemistry they have is literally that they always disagree and argue about what to do until they find a way through it. So nothing has changed, except that the band did more of the album without his input until a later stage because Stef just wasn't in the mood for whatever reason. Hopefully next time he's more inspired and willing to put his ideas down earlier and let them take off.

As for (L)MIRL, the song is about suicide itself, according to Chino, so I'd say the lyrics fit pretty damn well. (L)MIRL is one of my favourite songs from the album, especially the first half. It's very dark, musically and lyrically for the most part, which tends to be my favourite kind of music. I think the lyrics in Gore are the best they've been for a long while, personally. Since before KNY or DE for me at least. As a whole, the album is one of my favourites, probably just behind WP and ST.

The Prodigy

Gore: 4/10

Reichward

Been taking a long time to process this album, some days thinking its excellent the whole way through and other times thinking there are some parts that are not so much. Still do not have a final judgment in my mind but would like to open it up to discuss ideas a bit more. Anyway, to give it context, the hype for this beforehand was major, over 500 of the current 584 pages on this thread were made before the release so it has tapered off since the release. Did the fans get something that they were not expecting or were they in general a bit disappointed. Are they as many layers in the sound to dissect as we were led to believe before the release? Chino stated that he recorded the lyrics in order as per the tracklist as there was some sort of narrative throughout, then cuts Crest as the opening tune?? Then Stef is vocal about his input or lack thereof and how his band has moved away from him, hinting that dynamic chemistry that has helped create this special sound between members may have run its course. I always saw the response to this as damage control and once I heard the album felt that was exactly that. This was furthered by news of delayed release dates and issues with mixing, allegedly bringing back Terry Date to mix only to discard it and go with something in between.

So lots of drama before we heard any music. What was the music like? Well this is where my personal opinion comes in. I think as a major plus it feels like some air has been let in, the production sheen of DE and KNY which neutered those album to some extent (love KNY, it's like their shoegaze album) has been removed. I think using a producer who has been involved in more modern metal albums has loosened up the feel, and makes this a more visceral album. The guys themselves are seasoned at this stage, so if they want to incorporate different textures such as in P/T, they don't necessarily need the producer to engineer it.

On the flip side of this, is something I want to see what other people on the board feel about, namely Stef's input. While I think Chino has advanced as a songwriter and guitar player, he does not have the skills that Stef has in the guitar department. Songs where the riff is central such as DU and Gore, make this really apparent and the riffs do not snap in the way Stef makes them. The chorus riff in Gore is so rudimentary, I can imagine Stef biting his lip and just going, look this is how its done!! The omission of his hammering riffs works to their benefit on Phantom Bride, when it does come in after the solo it album chases away the atmosphere created earlier (to great effect) and also Pittura Infamante, lovely tight playing brings a lovely dimension to the 'On top of the Crux' part. Other than that, the tones used really remind me of 90's guitar sound and that's probably what Chino was going for to make room for more from the bass and keys.

What can I say about the drums? Abe is off the chart, really a consistent player and elevates so many songs. His fills on P/T are amazing but Xexon is great, flipping from the trippy New Wave verses to like 80's stadium rock chorus... love it. Many complaints about the mix relate to how high the drums are. I think they are perfect, however the snare is looser than previous albums which flattens the impact. Listening back to earlier albums, especially up to Self Titled, it's really tight. What I am really surprised with for the type of album that it is, is that Frank seemingly has so little input. I have strained my ears to find little spaces he makes his own, and there is definitely room for it. Don't know where Sergio fits into all of this, as Chino said he had more of a hand in the songwriting but I think its Chino's album in that regard. I don't think he has made his mark in Chi's space, but Chi was a cornerstone, and as with any Deftones album, his presence is felt by his absence.

So to Chino, bringing it back to the lyrics and what you all think. Is there more to the narrative or are they standard Deftones themes? I like the dry distortion that he uses for his screeches now, his voice probably could not take the heavy distortion that he has used previously. This balances against the great vocal harmonies throughout the album, which make songs like L(MIRL) work. I believe there was talk of Fleetwood Mac elements to songs like that, but whatever, its great work. There are a few cringey moment like when he sings 'I'll put this gun to my head...' I find jarring. You're 43 years old man! I can see a 15 year writing that and being like 'That will show them for grounding me...'

Anyway, this is not a review, just my thought and I would love to hear what other people think. They have definitely changed their trajectory with this album which has wrong footed a lot of people. Personally, I love the album, for the very fact after all these months I am still figuring it out. Different things stand out to me each time I listen to it. The last 3 songs blow me away, and finish this strange yet familiar album on a strong, defiant moment about how they are stronger sticking together.

Quote from: The Prodigy on Dec 30, 2016, 05:09 PM

Two kinds of individuals

stephtones

Then Stef is vocal about his input or lack thereof and how his band has moved away from him, hinting that dynamic chemistry that has helped create this special sound between members may have run its course. I always saw the response to this as damage control and once I heard the album felt that was exactly that. This was furthered by news of delayed release dates and issues with mixing, allegedly bringing back Terry Date to mix only to discard it and go with something in between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbVsw6MefOQ&t

Clip from recent interview with Stef where he mentions having "no one to count on for practically anything" as a support system mixed with "making the most of it" when recording the album gave me bad vibes. I tend to agree with his "please, let's not be in a rush" attitude to them putting out another Deftones record. Gore is easily my least favorite album they've released.

defTHE1s

Gore is good but maybe not even my top 5.
Curious thing is that having heard the instrumentals of SNW, DE & KNY, have made me love again those albums, specially SNW and DE. So, maybe that will happen once the instrumentals of Gore are out, because, seriously, I've been hearing the album not so frequently as other albums after their release date, and also I don't want to force it.
Also, I've been listening to their catalague from Adrenaline -> Gore and feel like there's something missing specially on this last album (not to mention the obvious, Chi).

So for now, Gore: 7/10
Top tracks (no special order)
Phantom Bride
H/W
Acid Hologram
Doomed User
Rubicon

edit:
Also, adding something regarding Stef's input... I think on this album he contributed mainly only on lay his riffs on already-structured songs, in contrast with previous albums were he could come up with riffs that could end on some songs.
So, as someone above said:
Quote from: ANattyRat on Dec 30, 2016, 04:14 PM
Hopefully next time he's more inspired and willing to put his ideas down earlier and let them take off.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

BewareTheWater

Quote from: Reichward on Jan 02, 2017, 12:06 AM

Quote from: The Prodigy on Dec 30, 2016, 05:09 PM

Two kinds of individuals
Lmao, basically

Sicario

Ok. I've been wanting to say this for months but I'm in the minority with this opinion. I really don't get the love for  (L)MIRL. I love the intro. And the lyrics at that part. But then it shifts to this more upbeat song and it starts so dark. I don't know. Someone explain it to me.
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

nicklav

Quote from: Sicario on Jan 13, 2017, 01:29 AM
Ok. I've been wanting to say this for months but I'm in the minority with this opinion. I really don't get the love for  (L)MIRL. I love the intro. And the lyrics at that part. But then it shifts to this more upbeat song and it starts so dark. I don't know. Someone explain it to me.

I'm with you. I love the initial vibe and then it sort of peters out for me.

ANattyRat

I used to feel the same. I kind of still do, if the rest of the song continued as the first part it would've been absolutely incredible. As it is now, the song grew on me and I love the song very much, but there will always be a kind of sadness that the entire song wasn't as dark as it first started. Though I like to see it as dark but in a more accepted way, which is why the music is more upbeat.

RaptureWS

Quote from: ANattyRat on Jan 13, 2017, 09:38 AM

I used to feel the same. I kind of still do, if the rest of the song continued as the first part it would've been absolutely incredible. As it is now, the song grew on me and I love the song very much, but there will always be a kind of sadness that the entire song wasn't as dark as it first started. Though I like to see it as dark but in a more accepted way, which is why the music is more upbeat.

I share similar sentiments in the sense that I personally don't adore the song as much as others here do. I do see why people enjoy it though. It's definitely unique and is very much a Deftones song-not in sound-but in how it is unexpected and does a fantastic job of creating a mood/atmosphere that Deftones are so great at doing. It just doesn't click with me personally.
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

RaptureWS

It's kind of funny....Gore is one of my favorite Deftones albums ever, yet I still agree with those that hope Stef has more input on the next record. He was obviously discouraged with the direction of this album and I think it shows. I feel like some of his riffs on this album are so uninspired. In particular, the end of Phantom Bride. That riff sounds like something you would come up with when warming up or tuning your rig. It's like he just went with the first thing that came to his head and said "Yeah that's good enough".
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

ANattyRat

True. I'm not sure why he felt uninspired and what took him so long to get into putting some ideas into motion, but hopefully there won't be a repeat of it. I'd like to see their next album have much more of his input, even though I pretty much don't have a genuine negative opinion about Gore at all. From Adrenaline to Gore, I've loved their music and change of sounds. So I wouldn't be worried if they did something differently this time to last time. Though I don't think people should expect that a more Stef-heavy album would be heavier and more aggressive. A lot of people seem to think that, but he puts forward some less heavy ideas too, and plus when the rest of the band come into the song with their own ideas, the end result can be quite different.

Red Pill

Quote from: stephtones on Jan 03, 2017, 08:32 AM
Then Stef is vocal about his input or lack thereof and how his band has moved away from him, hinting that dynamic chemistry that has helped create this special sound between members may have run its course. I always saw the response to this as damage control and once I heard the album felt that was exactly that. This was furthered by news of delayed release dates and issues with mixing, allegedly bringing back Terry Date to mix only to discard it and go with something in between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbVsw6MefOQ&t

Clip from recent interview with Stef where he mentions having "no one to count on for practically anything" as a support system mixed with "making the most of it" when recording the album gave me bad vibes. I tend to agree with his "please, let's not be in a rush" attitude to them putting out another Deftones record. Gore is easily my least favorite album they've released.

Exactly... Gore 5/10