Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Cyndicate

I've given it plenty of time.

Awful album.

A few good songs, but the overall feeling of the album is awful.

boogabear123

Quote from: The Cyndicate on Aug 23, 2017, 08:01 AM

Awful album.

I feel this way about Diamond Eyes. I really want to like it all the way through but it just loses something halfway through the album that makes me lose the feel for it. And as for Gore, I do enjoy all the songs, but I can definitely say that it gets weaker in the middle then sort of brings its self back. I hated every song at first before when it dropped.  :P

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: boogabear123 on Aug 23, 2017, 10:33 PM
Quote from: The Cyndicate on Aug 23, 2017, 08:01 AM

Awful album.

I feel this way about Diamond Eyes. I really want to like it all the way through but it just loses something halfway through the album that makes me lose the feel for it. And as for Gore, I do enjoy all the songs, but I can definitely say that it gets weaker in the middle then sort of brings its self back. I hated every song at first before when it dropped.  :P

I'm with you. The way some people seem to feel about Gore is exactly how I feel about Diamond Eyes. It's just not very interesting to me, particularly the later half of the album.

Gore, on the other hand, I do feel has much growing potential. I enjoy it very much. I liked it from the start, but it seems to have grown on me more as time goes on.

I felt the same way with the Self Titled. White Pony was initially my favorite, which I loved (and still do love, don't get me wrong), yet has over time lost a bit of its luster. Whereas the Self Titled didn't hit me as hard at first, and slowly grew to become my favorite Deftones album by far. Gore is much the same in this respect, albeit to less effect than the Self Titled.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

B0RNtoR0CK

Dude, you guys serious? Diamond Eyes is a 5/5 album for me. Loved it from beginning to end. Just about everyone I know loved the heck out of it. Gore on the other hand ughh....I just shake my head when I put it on (I mainly have a problem with the production).

defTHE1s

Quote from: B0RNtoR0CK on Sep 20, 2017, 11:39 PM
Dude, you guys serious? Diamond Eyes is a 5/5 album for me. Loved it from beginning to end. Just about everyone I know loved the heck out of it. Gore on the other hand ughh....I just shake my head when I put it on (I mainly have a problem with the production).
If you can, listen to the vinyl version. It makes you forget at least for a while about the horrible production...
this or is just my imagination.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

E-Money

The Vocals to Phantom Bride and Rubicon are my favorite from the Sergio Era. Really wish Abe's drum volume was louder and just more intense on Gore. I feel like Abe brings a great performance to the record but is so low in the mix.. or maybe it's the guitars being too loud.. idk.

LG95

It's both.
I could float here forever

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: B0RNtoR0CK on Sep 20, 2017, 11:39 PM

The production on Gore is awful, yes, but I try to look past that to the songs themselves. Diamond Eyes, to me, was the worst Deftones album to date. It's the only one I rarely ever listen to, unless my 3 year old asks me to put it on. And he really just likes the owl.

It just doesn't grab me. The songs are kind of boring, especially YSTB. It's good, I don't hate it or anything, but just doesn't stack up with the rest for me. KNY was a BIG step up, and I think Gore was even better than that.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

theis

This is a great album.

Penicks

my ears bleed every time a song pops up on shuffle, production is a cruel joke

LG95

Kind of agree with both of the last two comments. I put it on today for the first time in a while and I'm still well into the musical direction but fuck me does the production let it down.
I could float here forever

mono

Quote from: Penicks on Jan 26, 2018, 05:13 PM

totally agree, I hate the sound and mixing of the album.... ATF sounds a million times better

BewareTheWater

Quote from: mono on Jan 29, 2018, 07:53 PM

totally agree, I hate the sound and mixing of the album.... ATF sounds a million times better
To be fair, ATF is straight up one of their best albums if not THE best

mono

Quote from: BewareTheWater on Feb 09, 2018, 04:16 AM
Quote from: mono on Jan 29, 2018, 07:53 PM

To be fair, ATF is straight up one of their best albums if not THE best

at least for me, it's the one!

BewareTheWater

DAAAMN $on that'$ tha ONE

dearthx1

I wonder if we will ever hear "Crest". I remember reading about a track titled that, which they kept off the album because it "disrupted" the flow. Still very interested to hear this track that was supposed to open the album.

ANattyRat

Whenever I come onto this forum I re-ask myself if I'm partially deaf because I never understand the issues about production that people have. Not even just Gore, but people's complaints about how the drums or mixed or whatever else. It's such a strange thing, I feel like I'm missing an important part of my ears. But on the plus side, it means that nothing detracts from my enjoyment of the music itself.

BewareTheWater

Quote from: theis on Jan 26, 2018, 12:24 PM
This is a great album.
I honestly loved it the moment I first heard it. I still don't get what the big deal is. Aside from " HUH DUUURRR MUH PRODUCTION " I have yet to hear any other legitimate criticisms of it.

swagmeout

I love Prayers/Triangles, but none of the other songs have really clicked so far.

Freedomsoldier17

tfw this album is now almost two years old

time freakin flies