Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitefur

Quote from: whitefur on Apr 27, 2016, 06:04 PM
If you really want to get pissed: play the Gore album and then throw in Needles and Pins (amazing mix and wall of sound).

Ears bleeding with the Gorezzzzz, ugh.

LG95

Did you really just respond to your own two year old post?
I could float here forever

whitefur

Quote from: M36 on Mar 29, 2018, 09:56 PM
Quote from: whitefur on Mar 29, 2018, 12:03 AM
Quote from: whitefur on Apr 27, 2016, 06:04 PM
If you really want to get pissed: play the Gore album and then throw in Needles and Pins (amazing mix and wall of sound).

Ears bleeding with the Gorezzzzz, ugh.

Do albums really grown on you, or do you know that you like them or not on the first listen? Lots of people say some albums or songs are "growers." But the album's production had a negative impact the sound sucked beyond words ...

I have had it go both ways. Kendrick Lamar's latest album, for instance, I gave away the day after the first listen. Didn't care for it at all. But like SNW was a grower for me and it is awesome. I really like the songs on Gore and IMO they are constructed a lot more intricately than the last two albums (DE was very simplistic I feel) but the tinniness and harshness of the production absolutely kills it for me and I don't care to listen anymore. If Gore was produced by Terry Date, I feel like it would have been their best album since S/T.

illthrowROCKS@U

The best albums are growers. All of my favorite bands and favorite albums and favorite songs I either didn't like as much, or even in some cases didn't like at all, at first. Most of the music that I love at first listen wears off over time.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Korea Rounding

Definitely one of the worst bands out there surprised they lasted this long. I would rank them 89th overall

Shadow46/2

Quote from: Vesanic on Jan 28, 2016, 11:03 AM
Quote from: Rickety Cricket on Jan 28, 2016, 06:36 AM
And I'm sure "Mr. Vesanique" already hates the song based on 30 seconds.  Probably the entire album

Who knows. Your mother probably hated you when you weren't even fully formed

I was reading through the Gore thread for nostagia's sake and I just had to stop to appreciate this burn.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

Vesanic

Not really proud of it, but holy shit

buflen

So maybe this was asked before, but I followed very closely the release of this album, and I remember vividly Chino saying that the first version of this album had some pacing issues, and they ended up removing the first song and made Prayers/Triangle the first song and it finally clicked.

What happened to that song, and why didn't we hear it already as a bside?

Inkblades

That song was called Crest. It's in their vault.

wbasmith

Quote from: buflen on Aug 19, 2020, 03:38 AM
So maybe this was asked before, but I followed very closely the release of this album, and I remember vividly Chino saying that the first version of this album had some pacing issues, and they ended up removing the first song and made Prayers/Triangle the first song and it finally clicked.

What happened to that song, and why didn't we hear it already as a bside?

Hoping for a B sides and rarities 2, first one is kinda disappointing leaving out Lovers, Teething, Boys Republic along with a multitude of others, instead in favour of some pretty naff acoustic versions if im honest

Vesanic

tokyodrifter had posted "crest  8)" at some point, we thought it was gonna be released.

Iwazaru

There's still the fact that the few more or less complete tracks from Eros could get released one day, someday, probably etc so they could include that with a bunch of other unreleased like Crest. But right now we're onto album 9 and a White Pony 20th anniversary so all that stuff will not be out for us before a while, I think.

sharinglungs

What the shit. Why is the new album thread locked?

Gaz

Yeah how come the new album thread is locked??

Drop-Dead

-.-. .... . -.-. -.- / - .... . / -. . .-- / - --- .--. .. -.-. / .--- ..- ... - / -.-. .-. . .- - . -.. / .. -. / - .... .. ... / -... --- .- .-. -..

SMLiberator

I found a website that can artificially remaster songs based on a reference by using AI, so I decided to try some songs from Gore.

Here's Rubicon in the style of Minerva (sounds much thicker, but boomy and loud af) and Doomed User in the style of CMND/CTRL (sounds neat instrumentally, but vocals can't be saved). I also tried Gore in the style of Diamond Eyes but that wasn't very interesting at all.

Bonus: here's Engine no.9 in the style of Rocket Skates. This one fucking owns and really makes me want a more modern-sounding remaster of Adrenaline
i'm confused??

Iwazaru

So, with the release of Ohms happening soon, just like every time a new Deftones record album is about to happen, naturally I've been listening to a lot of Deftones lately. Especially the previous album Gore.

I know this is not exactly the most popular opinion, but I really love Gore. Obviously the production is terrible and I cannot blast it without worrying about permanent hearing damage, which damns me because after four years, I still enjoy this album more than I've seen anyone claim to do.

The title track is fucking raw. I remember Chino telling the press it was the weakest track on the album, but for real, its title is relevant. Feels like being pulled against your will in a tragic scenario that is too brutal to lose your cool. I could dissert about why I love this song so much, but I'll just say that what I love most about Deftones is that their songs make me feel like I'm having dreams, and Gore feels like that one nightmare you've had but once you've woken up, you wish you'd have that nightmare again.

Acid Hologram, Hearts/Wires, LMIRL and Phantom Bride are all packed with beautiful sadness but heavy enough to make it all sound tragic, which is something I absolutely enjoy.

There are some songs on the record I never really grasped like Pittura Infamante and Xenon. It's far from a perfect album and I understand why it had a mixed reception. It doesn't have the pure grit of s/t or the atmosphere of WP. But there was sure enough on Gore for me to enjoy a become a personal favorite. If Ohms turns out to have at least as much impact for me, it'll be an album I'll be listening to for a long time.

Draken

I don't understand the hate that Pittura Infamante gets. I'm not that deep on it really so I'm not that interested in defending it but when I first listened to Gore, to me, it and Acid Hologram were the only two tracks that really sounded decent. The rest was just like "wtf did I just listen to?".  I'll go on to say that even though I honestly don't care much for this record there are some highlights, it's just funny to me that they are not the same to those who really like the album.

Prayers/Triangles - decent song but the chorus just does nothing for me and sounds a little melodramatic.

Acid Hologram -  the one song that has been like a drop of water in my canteen as I travel through a desert of having no other new Deftones songs to listen to this past eight years. It's simple in it's songwriting yes, but the mood is undeniably Deftones and I love it for that.

Doomed User - decent track, I mean, the riff is a bit repetitive and uninspired: "Duhngh gunhg gungh gungh Gungh!!!" I love the live version actually but... the album version... is.. horrendous. The production just ruins it, I just can't take the vocals yelling at me for 4 minutes straight... and wth did he re-use a Team Sleep song title?

Geometric Headdress -  no... just... no... SKIP

Hearts/Wires - this song baffles me.... I don't know how else to say but this song to me sounds so elementary... I don't really have anything good to say about it and I know ya'll love that shit so I'll just leave it at that.

Pittura Infamante - I was digging the grooves on this one, not my favorite Deftones song by far but I felt it had potential to grow on me more... guess it really didn't since I only include Acid Hologram on my mixes. It's one of the stronger songs on the album imo, really blows my mind that many dislike it among the other songs.

Xenon - nope, boring. SKIP

L(mirl) - okay so I've wanted to like this song, I really have tried... but the song is just ruined by a few lines of vocals that I just feel should have had another take. The producer either wasn't interested or savvy enough to ask Chino to do another take on the lines where his voice sounds so unnecessarily strained. Particularly the lines "Catch this dream on film" and "That just drained my will" ruins any chance of me wanting repeated listens. A shame really. Also, the lyrics seem too similar to Cherry Waves, which is a far better song in their catalog.

Gore - I like this song, again though... that production makes Chinos screams sound weak af. I LOVE the little... breakdown?... I guess you'd call it... The tinny sounding vocals have just got to go however.

Phantom Bride - ugh... if it were a Chino side project then I'd understand, I still wouldn't listen to it but I'd be like "okay I get it"... as a Deftones song it just doesn't fit at all on the record or with anything they've ever done. A guitar solo on a Deftones song and it's not even by Steph, they had to get someone else to do it. Overall it just sounds like a cheesy song from a Robert Rodriguez film... which... in that context I might actually.. like.... hmm...

Rubicon - i remember being like "woah" when I first heard this song. I thought it sounded almost "space rock" but now it's just another track I don't feel interested in revisiting. I mean, in the broad spectrum of their music it just sits pretty low on the totem... as does the whole album for me.

If you love the album then I'm happy for you, I'll just be glad to put this one behind me and look forward to Ohms. I guess they can't all be winners, after eight albums in they deserve to have at least one stinker and Gore was that one for me. With that said, I'm very excited for Terry Dates return and the new album.

Inkblades

Quote from: SMLiberator on Aug 23, 2020, 02:42 PM
I found a website that can artificially remaster songs based on a reference by using AI, so I decided to try some songs from Gore.

Here's Rubicon in the style of Minerva (sounds much thicker, but boomy and loud af) and Doomed User in the style of CMND/CTRL (sounds neat instrumentally, but vocals can't be saved). I also tried Gore in the style of Diamond Eyes but that wasn't very interesting at all.

Rofl Rubicon sounds one million times more awful. Doomed User sounds a little thicker, but Abe's cymbal is too loud.

Someone did a decent remaster of all of Gore and put it on Youtube, but it seems to have been removed. It was called the Gore 5.1 mix if I remember correctly.

sharinglungs

I would love to hear a proper mix of Gore.