Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

steph possibly leaving deftones?

Started by iceeslunk, Feb 24, 2016, 01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceeslunk

my apologies if this was posted elsewhere but its new in my news feed and pretty damning...sounds like he wanted nothing to do with gore....

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/deftones-guitarist-didnt-want-to-play-on-gore-album-it-wasnt-the-style-or-the-sound-i-was-hoping-we-would-take/

Inkblades

Nothing to worry about. He's not going to leave Deftones. He said as much in that ultimate guitar interview, despite whatever creative differences he may have with Chino, Abe, Frank and Sergio.

iceeslunk

okay good, i think maybe i misinterpreted it then...still an interesting read though!

cvthedrv

Quote from: iceeslunk on Feb 24, 2016, 01:25 AM
okay good, i think maybe i misinterpreted it then...still an interesting read though!

no, you didn't, those are pretty strange statements

Usurper

Between this interview and triangles, I'm fairly concerned about what gore is going to sound like as a whole. Usually the first song is a banger, but triangles sounds more like a deep cut. What Steph says here is in line with what I hear in the song. Im hoping to be pleasantly surprised!
-[usurper]-

iceeslunk

Quote from: cvthedrv on Feb 24, 2016, 02:15 AMno, you didn't, those are pretty strange statements

yeah i mean thats still what it kind of sounds like to me...something about not leaving the band, but that they started leaving him? very strange to me as well...
that would be heartbreaking if so, steph is the member we can always count on to bring the heaviness....

sharinglungs

Quote from: Usurper on Feb 24, 2016, 02:39 AM
Between this interview and triangles, I'm fairly concerned about what gore is going to sound like as a whole. Usually the first song is a banger, but triangles sounds more like a deep cut. What Steph says here is in line with what I hear in the song. Im hoping to be pleasantly surprised!

We know that the album picks up at hearts/wires. From everything we've heard it's going to be a killer album. It just takes a few songs to get there.

Yoi Yes Kokan

i love how that shit gets people to talk

77years

Take the question mark away. Done deal

Stephen Carpenter's High-Flying Birds
The Steph Carpenter Amalgamation (self titled of course)
or simply
Carpenter
(possible cover art being close up of him embracing guitar neck looking seriously at camera)

Opening spots for 5FDP "hey it's the Deftones guy", incorporating 15-minute djent solo

Start a SCA thread please I'm convinced

the7thsaga

In the context of the original article, Steph made it clear he has no intention of leaving the band. I understand where he's coming from though, talking about the other guys "leaving him behind" but I think this interview would have been better presented in a video format. You can't read subtleties in people through text, and a lot of times Steph has a more lighthearted, joking attitude when it comes to interviews, and although I definitely think there was some real friction in the band during the Gore sessions, it's probably nothing to worry about. They haven't been an "aggressive" band since the self-titled album. You can always draw a line in their discography. Forgive me for pointing out the obvious here, but...

Demos > Adrenaline > ATF had sort of an oldschool hardcore & thrash influenced sound. White Pony > Deftones > Saturday Night Wrist began and continued Chino's presence as a primary songwriter, things got more consistently mid-tempo, and the more atmospheric sound really evolved during that whole 6 year period. Then there's Eros, which is our missing link in the chain. If we guessed right about Chino and Chi switching guitar and bass duties on more than just the one jam that has surfaced, it's possible this is/was the most inclusive record they'd done since White Pony. I'm not one to speculate too often, but I think that after patching things over after the rocky 3 year period between the 2 previous records, Eros would likely have been a more refined take on songwriting elements from throughout the band's previous two eras, with new sensibilities and direction. Then, Chi's accident happened, and I think it's pretty obvious as to why and how their sound changed again on DE and KNY. If we follow the trend I've outlined which, although risky, provides some clues as to what the future of the band will hold, Gore will be the conclusion of the sound they cultivated on Diamond Eyes. I have a good idea of what to expect from it already, but I'm most curious as to why the shelved songs were not included on the album.

At any rate, check Steph's demeanor during this interview. He's clearly still passionate about his instrument, and if he says he isn't going anywhere, I'm inclined to believe him. https://youtu.be/Rqj4vPDyVSI

mrpelon94

It's just means steph has to step his game up..drop the pipe for awhile ;D

beaverwithfishyshoes

Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Feb 24, 2016, 12:04 PM

like how ppl write essays when they read a rumoured songtitle?

beaverwithfishyshoes

Quote from: the7thsaga on Feb 24, 2016, 02:56 PM
In the context of the original article, Steph made it clear he has no intention of leaving the band. I understand where he's coming from though, talking about the other guys "leaving him behind" but I think this interview would have been better presented in a video format. You can't read subtleties in people through text, and a lot of times Steph has a more lighthearted, joking attitude when it comes to interviews, and although I definitely think there was some real friction in the band during the Gore sessions, it's probably nothing to worry about. They haven't been an "aggressive" band since the self-titled album. You can always draw a line in their discography. Forgive me for pointing out the obvious here, but...

Demos > Adrenaline > ATF had sort of an oldschool hardcore & thrash influenced sound. White Pony > Deftones > Saturday Night Wrist began and continued Chino's presence as a primary songwriter, things got more consistently mid-tempo, and the more atmospheric sound really evolved during that whole 6 year period. Then there's Eros, which is our missing link in the chain. If we guessed right about Chino and Chi switching guitar and bass duties on more than just the one jam that has surfaced, it's possible this is/was the most inclusive record they'd done since White Pony. I'm not one to speculate too often, but I think that after patching things over after the rocky 3 year period between the 2 previous records, Eros would likely have been a more refined take on songwriting elements from throughout the band's previous two eras, with new sensibilities and direction. Then, Chi's accident happened, and I think it's pretty obvious as to why and how their sound changed again on DE and KNY. If we follow the trend I've outlined which, although risky, provides some clues as to what the future of the band will hold, Gore will be the conclusion of the sound they cultivated on Diamond Eyes. I have a good idea of what to expect from it already, but I'm most curious as to why the shelved songs were not included on the album.

At any rate, check Steph's demeanor during this interview. He's clearly still passionate about his instrument, and if he says he isn't going anywhere, I'm inclined to believe him. https://youtu.be/Rqj4vPDyVSI

http://www.sharinglungs.com/index.php/topic,20781.0.html

Yoi Yes Kokan

Quote from: beaverwithfishyshoes on Feb 24, 2016, 05:14 PM
Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Feb 24, 2016, 12:04 PM

like how ppl write essays when they read a rumoured songtitle?

lol yes or make long winded paragraphs over their own misunderstanding.

To whom it may concern: Stef is the deftones, and you think he would leave his own band?

jaypayton

without Steph the Deftones will turn into Crosses or Palms...Chino will finally get his wish and turn them into a mellow band with no edge or balls

LG95

Quote from: jaypayton on Feb 25, 2016, 12:50 AM
without Steph the Deftones will turn into Crosses or Palms...Chino will finally get his wish and turn them into a mellow band with no edge or balls
You know that's his wish because?
I could float here forever

TheyCallMeP

Quote from: LG95 on Feb 25, 2016, 01:42 AM

Chino vs. Deftones?

Cmon son

cvthedrv

Quote from: TheyCallMeP on Feb 25, 2016, 01:51 AM
Quote from: LG95 on Feb 25, 2016, 01:42 AM

Chino vs. Deftones?

Cmon son

it is the way it is, in the snw sessions, it was the same way, chino aparted off from the other members,

elite54

I really think jaypayton is a band member. He shits on everything. No sane person would always be on a board of a band he now hates.

TheyCallMeP

His meth pipe and team sleep days, yeah. But I think that last statement was just a tiny bit exaggerated. There are other band members and KNY was reuniting experience by the sounds of it. I don't buy that's what Chino wants or that Stef would leave. But who knows I guess.