Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

steph possibly leaving deftones?

Started by iceeslunk, Feb 24, 2016, 01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow46/2

Lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

NYRexall

Quote from: 77years on Feb 24, 2016, 01:32 PM
Take the question mark away. Done deal

Stephen Carpenter's High-Flying Birds
The Steph Carpenter Amalgamation (self titled of course)
or simply
Carpenter
(possible cover art being close up of him embracing guitar neck looking seriously at camera)

Opening spots for 5FDP "hey it's the Deftones guy", incorporating 15-minute djent solo

Start a SCA thread please I'm convinced

Fucking lol'd hard at this, good stuff

NYRexall

Also..

Didn't Steph, Abe, Frank and Sergio shack up for MONTHS to write music while Chino was out promoting Crosses two years ago? If what Steph is saying is true, then its his own fault for not influencing the music in the beginning when he had the chance. I highly doubt Chino rolled in, listened to whatever the band had laid down at that point and said "Nah yo, this gonna be our new wave album"

Half of the people on the internet claim Deftones haven't been heavy since S/T, while the other half complain that Steph is this major component of the band's sound. If that's the case, then step the fuck up and prove it. Don't just bitch about it the same way you do every album since WP about how the other four aren't jiving with you creatively.

Steph isn't going anywhere. What's he going to do, dust off Kush or spend another 10 years writing Sol Invictus demos, ffs?

Inkblades

jaypayton

between the shitty new single, steph basically saying he hates the album and the band is "leaving him" and Chino namedropping justin beiber every chance he gets, i have very low expectations for this album....also think it will be the final album before Chino starts his Duran Duran/ Eurythmics influenced band

elite54

kurtone

Since when does anyone take what they say in interviews as gospel? You have to take everything they say with a giant grain of salt. Everybody blew their load when they talked about the album coming out in the fall and anyone with any common sense should have known that shit wasn't happening.
It's the same song and dance every album cycle. One member says something to the media and it spreads like wild fire and people start freaking out.

NYRexall

Quote from: jaypayton on Feb 25, 2016, 04:20 AM
between the shitty new single, steph basically saying he hates the album and the band is "leaving him" and Chino namedropping justin beiber every chance he gets, i have very low expectations for this album....also think it will be the final album before Chino starts his Duran Duran/ Eurythmics influenced band

My hope then is that they tour this album minimally or not at all then, so Chino can get to it already

the7thsaga

All this speculation when Steph clearly said he isn't leaving. Christ.

Vesanic

Quote from: the7thsaga on Feb 24, 2016, 02:56 PM
If we follow the trend I've outlined which, although risky, provides some clues as to what the future of the band will hold, Gore will be the conclusion of the band

Mark my words

the7thsaga

Quote from: MrVesanique on Feb 25, 2016, 04:20 PM
Quote from: the7thsaga on Feb 24, 2016, 02:56 PM
If we follow the trend I've outlined which, although risky, provides some clues as to what the future of the band will hold, Gore will be the conclusion of the band

Mark my words

What are you basing this off of?

ANattyRat

Quote from: jaypayton on Feb 25, 2016, 04:20 AM

Steph said he wasn't excited about the music and it took him a while to get with it. It's not the same as saying he hates it. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised that someone whose existence on a forum is to whine about the band not catering to his personal musical tastes is bending words to suit his agenda.

Name-dropping Justin Bieber because he's being asked about music? Wow, what random thing to do, to bring up a music artist in a question relating to music! Man, Chino has been listening to all genres of music since forever, you honestly think because he listens to a crappy pop artist, his entire passion is dedicated to following suit?

Let's face it, dude, you haven't had anything but low expectations from the band ever since you joined the forum.

Wow, so much negativity from you folks. Saturday Night Wrist could've been their last album with all the tension and distance and arguments...but it wasn't, was it? Why is this time any different? Especially since this situation isn't necessarily the same as that. They've been talking about switching up the way they make music to suit their needs better and figuring out a productive way to do it. None of them seem unhappy except Stephen, and even then, he said he wasn't excited about it to begin with, which heavily implies that he no longer feels that way.

Reichward

And I thought the Donald Trump topic was bad...

iceeslunk

lol as the creator of this thread id like to state that it wasn't my intention to inspire such bickering, but i have to admit, it is a ton of fun to read :D

but everyone is entitled to their opinion! im one of the old school fans myself, my favs are adrenaline & ATF but i love every album right up to KNY and am way hyped for gore...i just hope that they never break up in any way shape or form, and its just that this particular interview has me rather concerned...

it would be funny if steph lurked on this forum and used a lot of the criticisms as ammo for when he went back and argued with the band.... "well pretty much everyone at SL agrees with me...even jaypayton thinks your soft shit is weak as hell you morrissey fuckboy" lolol...

thewanderer

Sometimes I hear certain sounds, and they make my dick really fucking hard.........

defTHE1s

Quote from: Reichward on Feb 25, 2016, 05:34 PM
And I thought the Donald Trump topic was bad...
You can never expect less on this forum dude  ::)

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

ANattyRat

Quote from: iceeslunk on Feb 26, 2016, 03:26 AM
lol as the creator of this thread id like to state that it wasn't my intention to inspire such bickering, but i have to admit, it is a ton of fun to read :D

but everyone is entitled to their opinion! im one of the old school fans myself, my favs are adrenaline & ATF but i love every album right up to KNY and am way hyped for gore...i just hope that they never break up in any way shape or form, and its just that this particular interview has me rather concerned...

it would be funny if steph lurked on this forum and used a lot of the criticisms as ammo for when he went back and argued with the band.... "well pretty much everyone at SL agrees with me...even jaypayton thinks your soft shit is weak as hell you morrissey fuckboy" lolol...

White Pony is my favourite album of theirs. So it's not 'classic' Deftones but it is classic in the sense that it's kind of the diverse style that they've implemented on every album, in some way or another, since then. But I love all the albums for different reasons, for example I love the rawness and darkness of the self-titled album even though I think Koi No Yokan is a great album, too, despite their sounds being polar opposites. That's what I love about the band, I think. They always sound like Deftones, but they're not stuck to just one sound, and haven't for a very very long time.

I hope Steph doesn't leave. I don't think he will, but I hope they give him more say in what direction they go in next time, so he gets hyped up about the music from the beginning.

illthrowROCKS@U

I say give Steph complete control over the next album and see what happens.  I'm sure Chino can let go of the reigns for one album, right?
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

ANattyRat

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Feb 26, 2016, 05:18 PM
I say give Steph complete control over the next album and see what happens.  I'm sure Chino can let go of the reigns for one album, right?

Well, it shouldn't just be Chino or Steph, the others need more control, too. But yeah, if Steph took over most of the direction the album went in, it'd definitely be an interesting and fresh take on their music

NYRexall

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Feb 26, 2016, 05:18 PM

That's what Chino did with the Eros sessions: focused on vocals and lyrics completely, while Steph was in charge of the guitars. Chino stated right after KNY's release that the band would likely do one more album before they considered an official release of Eros. That album is six weeks away.

So figure out a way to combine the Eros stuff with the five songs left off Gore. That's 11 songs, as far as we know. Pretty much split down the middle.

I can't understand some of these people who claim Deftones haven't been heavy in ages. What the fuck were they hearing when songs like Royal, Diamond Eyes, Leathers and Guaze were playing?