Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Graphic nature

Started by mrpelon94, Feb 24, 2016, 06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrpelon94

Am I the only one who hates the drumming :o lol...I mean it just sounds like laziness idk lol I'm bored

Yoi Yes Kokan

sing blue silver

Quote from: mrpelon94 on Feb 24, 2016, 06:11 PM
Am I the only one who hates the drumming :o lol...I mean it just sounds like laziness idk lol I'm bored

By far my favourite beat on KNY. Try playing it on drums and you might think twice about calling it lazy.

deftoner664

Quote from: sing blue silver on Feb 25, 2016, 02:00 AM

By far my favourite beat on KNY. Try playing it on drums and you might think twice about calling it lazy.

+1 for real. No average person could pull off that hi-hat pattern and be on time with the kick and snare like that.
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

shoop

Such a Northcal thread.. how many aliases you got?

Inkblades

NYRexall

mrpelon94

Fuck my bad...it's just an opinion..must've forgotten that I posted already lol

iceeslunk

Quote from: deftoner664 on Feb 25, 2016, 02:07 AM
Quote from: sing blue silver on Feb 25, 2016, 02:00 AM

+1 for real. No average person could pull off that hi-hat pattern and be on time with the kick and snare like that.

no doubt...i have tremendous respect for abe, he is incredibly unique and distinctive in his drumming...

illthrowROCKS@U

Wow really..?  It's the grooviest beat on KNY!  It reminds me of Digital Bath.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

2MoreHours

I've said the same thing.  It sounds kind of lazy to me.  I've played drums most of my life.  It's not that hard to play.  Any average drummer should be able to play it.  If you think it's hard, you probably aren't a drummer.

LG95

Why is it lazy? It's not hard to play at all but I don't see why it's lazy.
I could float here forever

2MoreHours

Quote from: LG95 on Feb 27, 2016, 09:17 PM

I think it's just too repetitive.  There really isn't ever a change through the whole song.

LG95

Quote from: 2MoreHours on Feb 27, 2016, 10:17 PM

I think it's just too repetitive.  There really isn't ever a change through the whole song.
Why does there have to be? It would be lazier to force a change in it for no reason. As it is, I think it works - he changes it up three minutes in, adds some intensity at the right time and goes back to the original beat for the outro.
I could float here forever

illthrowROCKS@U

Isn't repetition Deftones' thing?  How many songs do they have where the drum and/or guitar is NOT repetetive?
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

2MoreHours

Quote from: LG95 on Feb 27, 2016, 10:39 PM

Why does there have to be? It would be lazier to force a change in it for no reason. As it is, I think it works - he changes it up three minutes in, adds some intensity at the right time and goes back to the original beat for the outro.

Just my opinion.  You don't have to agree with it.  I agree with the OP and it's something I notice one of the first times I heard the song.  It is a cool beat though but wish it would have changed up at some point.  It's the same beat through the whole song with an occasional fill.  Just doesn't do much for me but I like the song overall.

Freedomsoldier17

the drumming may be repetitive but idk i've always dug the dark riff from steph. the ending seems to provide a bit of the variation.

sooniletugo

ANattyRat

It is lazy in the sense that it's repetitive and it doesn't seem technically difficult (not that I could play it, but I'm not a drummer). But not everything has to be ground-breaking, sometimes simplicity can be effective, and Graphic Nature is one of my favourite songs on Koi No Yokan, so I'm happy with it.

ZND84

now that you said that I listened to the instrumental version and the song still kicks ass