Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Poll:Eros or Gore

Started by from_musings, Feb 28, 2016, 10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Entombed

I can agree with that. Nobody is truly "right" when it comes to which album they want to hear more. I'm personally a bit pessimistic when it comes to the new album for a medley of reasons, but I still hope it's decent. No matter what, I still look forward to it.
Tell the one about the man who dug holes so deep, he lost sight of his word.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: Entombed on Mar 04, 2016, 11:04 PM
I can agree with that. Nobody is truly "right" when it comes to which album they want to hear more. I'm personally a bit pessimistic when it comes to the new album for a medley of reasons, but I still hope it's decent. No matter what, I still look forward to it.

My thoughts exactly.  My only issue is the people who claim that anyone who doesn't agree with them is a fake fan, or has an immature taste in music or some other pretentious bullshit.  That shit has to stop.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Entombed

For me, it has nothing to do with who is real or fake. It's just a difference of opinion/taste. All in all, we love the Deftones, but still have our preferences.
Tell the one about the man who dug holes so deep, he lost sight of his word.

NYRexall

Quote from: TheyCallMeP on Mar 04, 2016, 01:59 PM
Quote from: NYRexall on Mar 04, 2016, 09:43 AM
Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Mar 04, 2016, 07:40 AM
Quote from: NYRexall on Mar 04, 2016, 03:46 AM
Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Mar 03, 2016, 05:31 PM
Yes, and I can definitely say that the 2 and a half songs we've heard from Eros are all better than the one we've heard from Gore.

lol It amazes me how some of you can discredit an entire album that's still a month away based on one song, and still call yourself fans of the band.

Please quote the part where I discredited the album.  What I said, quite clearly, is that the songs we've heard from one album are, in my opinion, better than the one we've heard from the other album.

I just find it hilarious how you're holding up Eros -- all two songs we've heard that *might* actually be on it one day -- as this lost classic and then riding me for being excited about the album that's coming out next month. I actually laughed out loud when I read that part when you said 'Smile' was their greatest song ever, but hey...that's your opinion and it's just whatever to me.

In the end, I don't give a fuck whether you buy Gore or not. Neither does the band, I'm willing to bet.

Let's keep things in check.
1. Eros was the last record Chi played on and he played guitar on it instead of bass for some tracks (Chino on bass).
2. The Eros clips built a good deal more hype than anything Gore related (and I cannot wait for Gore). The intro music clip that began their videos was darker than anything I've heard them play since.
3. The band members were openly calling it a weird and spacey record. Steph wanted to release it when Diamond Eyes came out so clearly he had a large creative output on it. The clips acasually reminded me of Terry Date era Deftones.

So yeah, Eros is way more hyped.

Like I've stated many times before, I want Eros too. Fuck yea I'm stoked for that shit, especially since the band says it WILL get released one day.

One day. But, in a few weeks, we'll have an entirely new Deftones album that's going to be spacey and weird of its own accord, so says the band. I'm looking forward to that; not some half-finished album from eight years ago that will eventually be released when the band is ready.

And I know this might piss a lot of people off, but Chi is hardly a selling point of Eros for me. As cool as he was, Sergio blows him away, live and on record. The bass in their songs since DE has been way more intricate and pronounced than the first five records. That's not a slight on Chi or a discredit to his legacy in any way; I just think Sergio is the better bass player when it comes to this band.

Reichward

Quote from: NYRexall on Mar 05, 2016, 01:52 AM
Like I've stated many times before, I want Eros too. Fuck yea I'm stoked for that shit, especially since the band says it WILL get released one day.

One day. But, in a few weeks, we'll have an entirely new Deftones album that's going to be spacey and weird of its own accord, so says the band. I'm looking forward to that; not some half-finished album from eight years ago that will eventually be released when the band is ready.

And I know this might piss a lot of people off, but Chi is hardly a selling point of Eros for me. As cool as he was, Sergio blows him away, live and on record. The bass in their songs since DE has been way more intricate and pronounced than the first five records. That's not a slight on Chi or a discredit to his legacy in any way; I just think Sergio is the better bass player when it comes to this band.

I think we are all hyped for Eros. Honestly, I think that having this topic at that time is kind of wrong. It only tells us who is optimistic and who is pessimistic about Gore. Of course, since a lot of people have been disappointed with the recent records, while Eros, Eros got all the myth. And I'm bloody excited about listening to Eros, maybe even more than Gore, but I voted Gore, because I feel like right now we should be focused on Gore. Because Eros is not going to come anytime soon. But when the day comes, I'll be fucking thrived to hear some "new Chi-era Deftones".

I think the promotion (or rather, the lack of promotion) for Gore is terrible, we've only had a few teasers and a single for a month to listen to, with a couple of interviews (a lot of other bands get much more). The last days on this forum have been terrible, users bitching about eatch other for almost nothing... It wasn't like this when Prayers/Triangles was just released because we had something serious to discuss, wether we liked the song or not. So all I can think of now, is that the next single cannot come soon enough. At least we won't have to argue over songs that we haven't even listened to yet.

NYRexall

I think the whole reason we're bickering is because there's been virtually no promotion for the album and people are bored waiting for a new single/Apr. 8 to arrive

Do I really care of someone wants Eros > Gore or if people think KNY is a shit album? lol nah..

from_musings

Yes, and I can definitely say that the 2 and a half songs we've heard from Eros are all better than the one we've heard from Gore.

lol It amazes me how some of you can discredit an entire album that's still a month away based on one song, and still call yourself fans of the band.

Please quote the part where I discredited the album.  What I said, quite clearly, is that the songs we've heard from one album are, in my opinion, better than the one we've heard from the other album.

@NYrexall:

"A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not advanced by that opponent.[1]

The so-called typical "attacking a straw man" argument creates the illusion of having completely refuted or defeated an opponent's proposition by covertly replacing it with a different proposition (i.e. "stand up a straw man") and then to refute or defeat that false argument ("knock down a straw man") instead of the original proposition.[2][3]"

Yoi Yes Kokan

34 days until gore, nuff said

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Mar 05, 2016, 05:12 PM
34 days until gore, nuff said

And I'm fucking dying.  I don't know if I can hold out that long!

Also, I hope they announce more tour dates soon.  There's a huge gap for all of April.  I'm wondering if that's to give the guys the month of release off to prepare for the long tour schedule ahead or if they're going to fit more dates in there. 

Because, as it stands, they're not coming anywhere near the mid-atlantic states (I live in Maryland).  It's just the south and southeast states in March and May, then Europe in June. 

I just hope I get a Deftones show during the summer this year...  They always end up coming around me in the fall or winter, but I want a warm Tones concert for once!  I haven't been to a Deftones concert in warm weather in like 5 years!
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Yoi Yes Kokan

word, you said it. they're missing all the good places to play shows, wheres seattle, denver, portland, pheonix, etc.. I'm a west coast guy so you know. plus I'd love to go to denver and grab some legal herb while I'm there.

NYRexall

Quote from: from_musings on Mar 05, 2016, 01:36 PM

@NYrexall:

"A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not advanced by that opponent.[1]

The so-called typical "attacking a straw man" argument creates the illusion of having completely refuted or defeated an opponent's proposition by covertly replacing it with a different proposition (i.e. "stand up a straw man") and then to refute or defeat that false argument ("knock down a straw man") instead of the original proposition.[2][3]"

Didn't you just post this exact same lame response in the Gore thread?

Funny that you don't seem to agree with what I'm saying, and yet you can't post anything to discredit it. I wonder why that is?

from_musings

Oh, so you've got accusations of straw man arguments in multiple threads? why is that you think?

This is a forum Deftones, granted we're are all interested in anything that deftones have to release- that goes without saying.
the question here though is, based on the little material we have so far - what we've read and heard - which one are we the most interested in.
There's noone here who discredit an entire album because of one song,it's just that what we know about eros and heard from it, eros in terms of sound and production sounds more interesting according to some of us.

Nor has anyone said "they're finished" or "That 30-second Gore clip sounded like fucking ass on my computer speakers" or "saw everyone shitting on P/T for sounding too much like Deftones" - you made that up in your head.all of it.

you make up imaginary members who say made up things - and then you take a stab at try to start debates with those imaginary people with their fictitious opinions.

Anyway,what did you think of doomed user live version? genre bending enough for you? i thought it sounded staright forward and pretty cool. verse riff reminded me of diamond Eyes, but doomed user sounded more cocky and had a lot more attitude i think. can't wait for the studio version of that one

Vesanic

Quote from: NYRexall on Mar 06, 2016, 09:20 AM
yet you can't post anything to discredit it

Do you even read

NYRexall

Quote from: MrVesanique on Mar 06, 2016, 07:59 PM
Quote from: NYRexall on Mar 06, 2016, 09:20 AM
yet you can't post anything to discredit it

Do you even read

Sharing Lungs when I'm on the toilet

NYRexall

Quote from: from_musings on Mar 06, 2016, 01:09 PM

This is a forum Deftones, granted we're are all interested in anything that deftones have to release- that goes without saying.
the question here though is, based on the little material we have so far - what we've read and heard - which one are we the most interested in.
There's noone here who discredit an entire album because of one song,it's just that what we know about eros and heard from it, eros in terms of sound and production sounds more interesting according to some of us.

There's only that one song though...Smile...that you can base the sound and production off of. Melanie is just a live version floating around. If you want to base the entire Eros album off one leaked song and feel it's going to sound better than the one studio song we've heard off Gore, so be it. It just seems ridiculous to me. But to each their own, I guess

QuoteNor has anyone said "they're finished" or "That 30-second Gore clip sounded like fucking ass on my computer speakers" or "saw everyone shitting on P/T for sounding too much like Deftones" - you made that up in your head.all of it.

Oh jeez

I know nobody said this. I was being hypothetical. Also -- and its a little late to use this now but whatever -- a lot of Deftones fans on ThePRP and other sites were the ones basing their entire opinion of Gore off the trailer clips and P/T. So I think when I made those statements, it was factoring in those comments as well. But it did seem like a lot of people here were saying that the album was going to be shit based on their opinion of P/T

Quoteyou make up imaginary members who say made up things - and then you take a stab at try to start debates with those imaginary people with their fictitious opinions.

See above.

QuoteAnyway,what did you think of doomed user live version? genre bending enough for you? i thought it sounded staright forward and pretty cool. verse riff reminded me of diamond Eyes, but doomed user sounded more cocky and had a lot more attitude i think. can't wait for the studio version of that one

I haven't listened to it. Nor have I listened to P/T, because I want to save all 11 songs for the day the album is released and I can hear everything as a whole. From what I've read here, it's a pretty aggressive song but Chino was having an off-night vocally. So no way I would make a judgement call based on that. I'm sure it will sound much better on the album.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: NYRexall on Mar 07, 2016, 04:14 AM
There's only that one song though...Smile...that you can base the sound and production off of. Melanie is just a live version floating around. If you want to base the entire Eros album off one leaked song and feel it's going to sound better than the one studio song we've heard off Gore, so be it. It just seems ridiculous to me. But to each their own, I guess

Do even know what you're saying?  Do you know where you're saying it?  This is literally a thread about picking between two albums we've heard extremely little of.  That is exactly what the point of this thread is; to judge the albums based only on the very little we've heard of them. 

How is believing Eros might be better based on the one released studio song and one live song any less ridiciulous than believing Gore might be better based on the one released studio song and one live song?  Here's a hint, it's not.  They're both fucking ridiculous, it's all stupid.  Neither answer is "right."  We're just bullshitting here waiting for new information.  We're all having fun, and you're trying to say how everyone else is wrong because they don't think like you.  Stop.

Oh jeez

I know nobody said this. I was being hypothetical. Also -- and its a little late to use this now but whatever -- a lot of Deftones fans on ThePRP and other sites were the ones basing their entire opinion of Gore off the trailer clips and P/T. So I think when I made those statements, it was factoring in those comments as well. But it did seem like a lot of people here were saying that the album was going to be shit based on their opinion of P/T

No, you weren't being hypothetical.  You were making shit up.  Nobody here said any of those things.

I haven't listened to it. Nor have I listened to P/T, because I want to save all 11 songs for the day the album is released and I can hear everything as a whole. From what I've read here, it's a pretty aggressive song but Chino was having an off-night vocally. So no way I would make a judgement call based on that. I'm sure it will sound much better on the album.

Now that we're hopefully done with all the unpleasantries and you're going to stop telling everyone else how they're not as right as you, we can talk about real shit.

The more I think about it, and of course I know this is premature, but I feel like they chose the perfect two songs to release for Gore.  I have NO information on any of the other songs, but the song choices are nonetheless very effective.  Start out with a safe radio-friendly song like P/T to appease the fans who favor that aspect of the band's sound, and now the more aggressive "old school" Deftones style song to appease that side of the fanbase.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

el perro

What if you heard Eros and it didn't live up to your expectations? I'm pretty sure Chino said that album would have been the end of Deftones which I can believe because it sounds depressing from what I've heard, but a lot of you would like that probably. 

NYRexall

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Mar 07, 2016, 06:37 AM

Do even know what you're saying?  Do you know where you're saying it?  This is literally a thread about picking between two albums we've heard extremely little of.  That is exactly what the point of this thread is; to judge the albums based only on the very little we've heard of them.

And sooooo then the point of this thread is...?

QuoteHow is believing Eros might be better based on the one released studio song and one live song any less ridiciulous than believing Gore might be better based on the one released studio song and one live song?  Here's a hint, it's not.  They're both fucking ridiculous, it's all stupid.  Neither answer is "right."  We're just bullshitting here waiting for new information.  We're all having fun, and you're trying to say how everyone else is wrong because they don't think like you.  Stop.

No, YOU fucking stop.

I can play this game, too: where did I EVER SAY others were wrong because they don't share the same opinion as me? Do YOU even know what you're talking about? No, I don't think you do. I said trying to compare two completely different albums based on ONE studio track from each SEEMED pretty ridiculous, but TO EACH THEIR OWN.

To each their own. As in, whatever. Who cares. You have your opinion, I have mine.

Have I simplified this shit for you enough, or would you like to continue the pissing contest while we wait out this next month? I'm good either way.

QuoteNo, you weren't being hypothetical.  You were making shit up.  Nobody here said any of those things

No, I'm sure I was being hypothetical  ;D

ANattyRat

Quote from: el perro on Mar 07, 2016, 07:42 AM
What if you heard Eros and it didn't live up to your expectations? I'm pretty sure Chino said that album would have been the end of Deftones which I can believe because it sounds depressing from what I've heard, but a lot of you would like that probably. 

Are you sure you're not thinking of Saturday Night Wrist? I don't recall him ever saying something like that about Eros.

Penicks

yeah, he didn't. people need to get their heads out of their asses