Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Doomed user

Started by Koigoreyokan1990, Mar 01, 2016, 05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2MoreHours

Quote from: ANattyRat on Mar 10, 2016, 07:26 PM
Quote from: 2MoreHours on Mar 10, 2016, 07:07 PM
Quote from: ANattyRat on Mar 10, 2016, 06:37 PM
Three weeks away from the album release. Makes sense. Awesome, glad we get to hear another song, especially one that sounds so different to Prayers/Triangles, it'll make those last few weeks less impatient.

One more song to ruin before the album comes out.  No thanks.  I'll wait for the album.  ;D

How does it ruin it?

On past albums, I've played out the early singles so much that I always end up skipping them on the album.  I don't want that to happen on this album.  I want to be able to appreciate each song and in the order they are intended to be heard on the album.

King Leer

you have to be a fucking idiot to actually think that the band comes here to read all of the negative comments about them and actually write a song.... get off your high white horses guys.

ANattyRat

Quote from: 2MoreHours on Mar 10, 2016, 08:19 PM
Three weeks away from the album release. Makes sense. Awesome, glad we get to hear another song, especially one that sounds so different to Prayers/Triangles, it'll make those last few weeks less impatient.

One more song to ruin before the album comes out.  No thanks.  I'll wait for the album.  ;D

How does it ruin it?

On past albums, I've played out the early singles so much that I always end up skipping them on the album.  I don't want that to happen on this album.  I want to be able to appreciate each song and in the order they are intended to be heard on the album.

True, I did that especially with Rocket Skates. I like listening to albums as a whole, but I guess I'm not as bothered about song placement or listening to it as a cohesive record as most people here seem to enjoy. I see an album as a pile of individual Christmas presents to rip open and enjoy, as opposed to one present containing multiple items, if that makes sense. I've done well not listening to Prayers/Triangles too much, but I'll end up skipping it eventually to catch up to the new, fresh songs sooner.

2MoreHours

Quote from: ANattyRat on Mar 10, 2016, 09:01 PM

How does it ruin it?

True, I did that especially with Rocket Skates. I like listening to albums as a whole, but I guess I'm not as bothered about song placement or listening to it as a cohesive record as most people here seem to enjoy. I see an album as a pile of individual Christmas presents to rip open and enjoy, as opposed to one present containing multiple items, if that makes sense. I've done well not listening to Prayers/Triangles too much, but I'll end up skipping it eventually to catch up to the new, fresh songs sooner.

Yeah, I smell what your cookin. I've only listened to Prayers/Triangles 2 times just out of curiosity for what direction they would take.  It's an ok song but I'm not really a fan on Chino's vocal style on it.  The last few albums haven't done much for me vocally but that's ok.  It's still Deftones and they are still better than 99% of the other trash that is out these days.

illthrowROCKS@U

How does it ruin it?

For me it depends on the band.  Deftones have never been a band to release "albums" so much as just collections of songs.  Although, you could argue that KNY was their most "complete" album to date, with the most flow to it.  I'm not saying it's their best record at all, just that it feels like I couldn't listen to it in any order other than the order that exists.  Their other albums could just be on shuffle and I wouldn't even notice much of a difference.  The only others that have come close are WP and, to a lesser extent, ST.

Some bands, like TMV, or Callisto, or Manson, or Radiohead, or Minus the Bear, or Coheed, for example, are best listened to in order.  I don't see Deftones as one of those bands.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

ANattyRat

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Mar 10, 2016, 09:34 PM

How does it ruin it?

For me it depends on the band.  Deftones have never been a band to release "albums" so much as just collections of songs.  Although, you could argue that KNY was their most "complete" album to date, with the most flow to it.  I'm not saying it's their best record at all, just that it feels like I couldn't listen to it in any order other than the order that exists.  Their other albums could just be on shuffle and I wouldn't even notice much of a difference.  The only others that have come close are WP and, to a lesser extent, ST.

Some bands, like TMV, or Callisto, or Manson, or Radiohead, or Minus the Bear, or Coheed, for example, are best listened to in order.  I don't see Deftones as one of those bands.

Yeah, they don't have concept albums, or albums that completely flow from one to the next, so putting the songs on at random wouldn't take away from the music. Not for me anyway, though as you say, Koi No Yokan is an exception, with the intros and outros.

Reichward

Quote from: ANattyRat on Mar 10, 2016, 09:44 PMYeah, they don't have concept albums, or albums that completely flow from one to the next, so putting the songs on at random wouldn't take away from the music. Not for me anyway, though as you say, Koi No Yokan is an exception, with the intros and outros.
Maybe it builds more emotion when you listen to it in order, but I can completely enjoy playing any song that comes to my mind each after another. That is why I'm not too worried about knowing the singles when the rest of the album comes out. Even if I play the songs randomly at first, after a while when I got bored of the record I'll listen to it again in order of the tracks. This kinda renews the experience for me.

mrpelon94

3/16 have pic but dont know how to add it?

Martin

Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Mar 10, 2016, 07:30 PM

How does it ruin it?

because having the perfect finished product inside your hand with no real idea how the ride or journey will be and then continuously discovering and rediscovering it with a perfect audio quality cd, vinyl or mastered for itunes example is a great pleasure.

Hear hear.

Reichward

Very excited about tomorrow. Prayers/Triangles was nice to hear but it's not one of the singles that "blew my mind" like Hole in the Earth or Tempest. I have a good feeling about Doomed User and I hope I won't be disappointed.

all3n_y

What time specifically do you guys think it will be released? Since no official time was given, I'm hoping midnight! Probably not, but one can hope...

Freedomsoldier17

Quote from: Freedomsoldier17 on Mar 15, 2016, 05:16 PM
It was 10 am PST for Prayers/Triangles and the instagram album reveal

gwenudo

Was it like it seemed?...

Moz

Quote from: gwenudo666 on Mar 16, 2016, 12:07 PM
DOOMED USER http://wp.me/p3KSDe-fkl

YES!

Sound great. Very punk-ish feel to it.

I do think with this song and Prayers the production doesn't feel as 'heavy' as the previous records if you get my drift. Is it just me?

N0S3BLEED976

Hearing the studio version, the live performance was pretty much spot on. That being said, it's fucking great

gwenudo

Can somebody get this uploaded to MEGA or something please? This is too fucking good.
Was it like it seemed?...

deftoner664

That was so refreshing. I love it. Instant Deftones classic.
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

N0S3BLEED976

The vocals sound fucking filthy. Just saying for those who are complaing Chino sounds too clean nowadays...

ANattyRat

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Mar 16, 2016, 12:29 PM
The vocals sound fucking filthy. Just saying for those who are complaing Chino sounds too clean nowadays...

I'm one of those people, haha. Kind of, not complaining, I love all their albums, but I missed this sound, for sure. This is something I've been hoping for with this album, I'm so happy and excited right now

worship

Jesus, I want to hear it so bad! But I will wait for the whole record.