Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones stuff that never makes it to a cd

Started by HooiserBowhunter, Mar 15, 2016, 04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HooiserBowhunter

I just listened to a lot of the Ezrin sessions from Saturday Night Wrist. Then I started thinking how much cool stuff they must have just laying around on a computer somewhere that will never see the light of day. I think it is an absolute tragedy that Lovers never made it on Self Titled. Also from one of Chino's recent interviews he said they scrapped a song that initially was going to be the opener on Gore. I wonder if some of the stuff the band doesn't like or if its the record company? Just sparking conversation while waiting on Gore.

rainnyx4

I'm kind of glad that they don't release a ton of b-sides. Knowing how lazy this band is, most of them would likely just piss me off for the unrealized potential of them (Ezrin demos would certainly qualify for this, there were some cool ideas in there but if they were just recorded as is with Chino singing over them, they'd just piss me off). That said, both Teething and Lovers are great songs but I can see why they were left off of their respective albums.

Freedomsoldier17

I've always dug the b-sides/outtakes, whether it be the Ezrin Demos, Finger of Death, or even Bumble D. I'm particularly curious on any b-sides laying around from the DE and KNY sessions. It's always great to have insight on the creative evolution of an album through the b-sides/demos themselves.   But with the legal stuff(WB taking the original video down) that happened with Smile it doesn't seem right to push for any extra material.

Inkblades

Yeah, there's been a fair amount of cut songs. They evidently wrote some songs after ATF that they deemed as sounding too much like ATF. They wanted to go in another direction, and it showed with White Pony. I think DE had one cut song, KNY had two cut songs and Gore seems to have multiple cut songs. 16 were recorded, but Abe said in an interview they had actually written 20. I'm assuming Chino picked the songs he wanted to add vocals to. Oh, and S/T outtakes are that goofy ass White Women and XO (an instrumental piano piece, if I recall correctly).

And yeah, some of those Ezrin demos (Finger of Death, #5, #9 and #13 come to mind) would have made killer songs and, IMO, were better than some of the songs that ended up on SNW.

from_musings

Quote from: HooiserBowhunter on Mar 15, 2016, 04:38 AM
I just listened to a lot of the Ezrin sessions from Saturday Night Wrist. Then I started thinking how much cool stuff they must have just laying around on a computer somewhere that will never see the light of day. I think it is an absolute tragedy that Lovers never made it on Self Titled. Also from one of Chino's recent interviews he said they scrapped a song that initially was going to be the opener on Gore. I wonder if some of the stuff the band doesn't like or if its the record company? Just sparking conversation while waiting on Gore.

lovers made it to a cd though, the hexagram cd single. a proper studio version of it exists - you can listen to it as much as you want.
i think not releasing a studio version of buffalo/finger of death is way more irritating and sad.i love that song. there's the real tragedy.

chino thought it had too many parts and didn't flow right though. but what does he know

cvthedrv

lovers didnt make in the cd because a matter of time, i was made after the st making process.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: cvthedrv on Mar 15, 2016, 01:16 PM
lovers didnt make in the cd because a matter of time, i was made after the st making process.

But wasn't "Lovers" the original name of that album?  I had heard that the reason for the name change and leaving that song off the album was because it would have made the subject matter too "obvious," or too direct, or something like that.

I could be 100% wrong, but I was told that was the reason.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Yoi Yes Kokan

its good it was left off because it doesn't fit on any album and its good the album wasn't called lovers because thats too obvious for any album to be called.

LG95

In what way does Lovers not fit onto the album?
I could float here forever

Yoi Yes Kokan

Quote from: LG95 on Mar 15, 2016, 06:12 PM

really? listen to it. I love that song, but it sounds like something on a soundtrack or something, which it should've been in reality. It doesn't sound like that album at all, i'm mad i cant buy it on itunes, they should definitely make it more available. When you learn how to listen to albums (albums not just singles or songs) from many artists, you find the great ones know how organize the track list and usually songs are written to be cohesive to the album.

LG95

Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Mar 15, 2016, 06:20 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Mar 15, 2016, 06:12 PM

really? listen to it. I love that song, but it sounds like something on a soundtrack or something, which it should've been in reality. It doesn't sound like that album at all, i'm mad i cant buy it on itunes, they should definitely make it more available. When you learn how to listen to albums (albums not just singles or songs) from many artists, you find the great ones know how organize the track list and usually songs are written to be cohesive to the album.
Don't patronise me. That song does fit in with that album - there's a clear dark and moody feel to it, Chino's vocals are emotional and slightly haunting, the tempo's fairly slow which makes it heavier in terms of tone. What part of that does not fit in with the self-titled record?

Yoi Yes Kokan

because words and descriptions still don't make sounds come together

LG95

Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Mar 15, 2016, 06:34 PM
But the sound totally fits in with that album. So why do you think it doesn't?

Yoi Yes Kokan

Quote from: LG95 on Mar 15, 2016, 06:35 PM

just the simple reason that it sounds like it doesn't belong on any album, its just a good song that stands on its own. and why are people obsessed with stuffing songs on an album, deftones aren't rappers. they make perfect artful pieces that flow from beginning to end in a specific way.

LG95

Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Mar 15, 2016, 06:41 PM

just the simple reason that it sounds like it doesn't belong on any album, its just a good song that stands on its own. and why are people obsessed with stuffing songs on an album, deftones aren't rappers. they make perfect artful pieces that flow from beginning to end in a specific way.
I agree and I think Lovers fits in perfectly with the self-titled sound as I explained before you patronised me as if I'd never listened to an album before.

illthrowROCKS@U

I think Lovers fits perfectly well with the album.  In addition to what I said before, part of the reason I heard it was left off was because it sounded too much like Battle-Axe as well.  Which did make the album, and thus if it sounds too much like a song that actually did make the album, then it should sound like the album.  Sort of an if A = B, and B = C, then A = C kinda thing.

It wasn't that the name "Lovers" was necessarily too cliché, like you've suggested, but rather that it was too direct to the subject matter of the album.  You'll notice that every song on the album is about a relationship, about lovers in one way or another.  And Chino, from what I understands, doesn't like to be too direct.  He doesn't like to say exactly what he means, if you know what I mean.

In this sense the song Lovers fits perfectly, and even in mood in my opinion.  I'm not sure how one would think that it doesn't fit with the rest of the album, but you're perfectly entitled to your opinion.

Again, I could be 100% wrong on the reason it was left off.  Perhaps someone more "in the know" could clarify, but this is just what I heard.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

LG95

Chino said they recorded Lovers too late to be included.

Yoi Yes Kokan

Quote from: LG95 on Mar 15, 2016, 06:50 PM
Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Mar 15, 2016, 06:41 PM

I agree and I think Lovers fits in perfectly with the self-titled sound as I explained before you patronised me as if I'd never listened to an album before.

thats fine if you want it on the album, many people around here will agree with that, all you have to do is rip it on a cd and you can place it anywhere you want.

hexagram to moana is just fine though too.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: LG95 on Mar 15, 2016, 07:04 PM
Chino said they recorded Lovers too late to be included.

Can I get a link?  I'd like to see that, I've always been interested in why it wasn't included.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

snw9

I think some of the SNW outtakes were album worthy for example track number 5, track 15 and finger of death.

Just to add from the Diamond Eyes session, is there one song that didn't make the album either.

Were there any b-sides from the Koi no Yokan sessions?
Code: [Select]