Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Doomed User: A Swing and a Miss

Started by _bilf1, Mar 17, 2016, 03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_bilf1

To say "Doomed User" is convoluted is to be nice. What the fuck is this?

Deftones have always been pioneers of alternative music. They never really stick to a formula and they tend to be more experimental less conventional. The last two records had some highlights but you can definitely tell the momentum of the great Deftones train is slowing to a halt unfortunately.

In previous efforts, Deftones have more than successfully blended elements of different genres into a cohesive whole. They have developed a reputation for being the one nu-metal band that defied the label and became classics in the alternative music world. Songs with hip-hop like drums, smooth, ethereal vocals, and simple, yet effective heavy guitar riffs have dominated the Deftones discography thus far. These guys have really excelled in mixing dark, ambient melodies, and crushingly heavy riffs with poppy choruses without coming off like a cheese fest. Some of my all time favourite songs come from this unique band and I will cherish those songs for the rest of my life. To sum it up: Deftones have absolutely nailed the art of not giving a fuck about expectations and have made a living out of it.

With the new album, titled "GORE", coming out on April 8th, Deftones fans are excited to hear the latest efforts from the band that does it all. "Doomed User" was released on Octane today and upon listening to the track I am feeling very confused and apathetic towards this new album.

This song is trying to sound disjointed, unpredictable, and edgy but instead it just sounds like the laziest compilation of excruciatingly boring riffs and lazy, forgettable melodies. This track is so uninteresting and bland. The two main aspects of this song's demise come from the two extremes of the divas that spearhead the band.

That bullshit metal riff and the emotionally stunted, pretentious chorus.

The 'old school metal riff' that Chino mentioned in a previous interview is hilariously out of place. Seriously. Almost laughably out of place. Don't get me wrong, I love experimental music but holy shit it's like Stephen Carpenter finally smoked himself into full stroke mode and came up with this horrendous piece of shit riff. The song starts off with a very typical, sleep inducing Stephen Carpenter-wishes-he-played-for-Meshuggah riff that he plays in an odd time signature. Wow. So edgy. The problem here is that it's simply boring and Chino's fatigued vocals give it no juice at all. But it's the next riff that violently prolapses the anus of the song. As soon as Stephen begins seizing all over his guitar in an attempt to sound like a Megadeth tribute band, I felt an overwhelming feeling of the imminent demise of a once great band.

Chino's chorus is disappointingly lacking of any emotional depth or quality song-writing. The melody is awful and the harmony included does nothing except make the listener go "Oh". I hate comparing new material to old material so I won't but I can't help but at least remember that Deftones have always been able to click emotionally and that always gave them a solid foundation. This chorus is a nice break from Chino sounding like a bad rip off of himself through the verses but other than that there is nothing here worth listening to.

The art of not giving a fuck is great if you at least give a fuck about making quality music in some aspect or another and after hearing this song I'm nearly convinced they're just pumping out music to get finished with their contract. I mentioned earlier that I felt the demise of Deftones on the horizon and don't get me wrong; I don't hate the idea.

"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain"

Plenty of notable bands have come together, put out great music, made their mark, and then finish up before they become cliches of themselves. But the problem is that bands don't always do that and usually end up becoming boring and discardable. Like chewing a piece of gum non stop for hours. Eventually there's no flavour left and the longer you keep it in there, the more bland, hard, and dry it becomes. Deftones seemed to be immune to this fairly common phenomenon but after hearing this song, I believe that time has come.

As for the rest of "GORE" only time will tell. I will give the album a thorough listen and attempt to remain unbiased. Some songs are just duds so you never really know but I won't be surprised.

chuckles

I'm a member of Sharing Leaks...

King Leer

Quote from: _bilf1 on Mar 17, 2016, 03:39 AM
   To say "Doomed User" is convoluted is to be nice. What the fuck is this?

Deftones have always been pioneers of alternative music. They never really stick to a formula and they tend to be more experimental less conventional. The last two records had some highlights but you can definitely tell the momentum of the great Deftones train is slowing to a halt unfortunately.

In previous efforts, Deftones have more than successfully blended elements of different genres into a cohesive whole. They have developed a reputation for being the one nu-metal band that defied the label and became classics in the alternative music world. Songs with hip-hop like drums, smooth, ethereal vocals, and simple, yet effective heavy guitar riffs have dominated the Deftones discography thus far. These guys have really excelled in mixing dark, ambient melodies, and crushingly heavy riffs with poppy choruses without coming off like a cheese fest. Some of my all time favourite songs come from this unique band and I will cherish those songs for the rest of my life. To sum it up: Deftones have absolutely nailed the art of not giving a fuck about expectations and have made a living out of it.

With the new album, titled "GORE", coming out on April 8th, Deftones fans are excited to hear the latest efforts from the band that does it all. "Doomed User" was released on Octane today and upon listening to the track I am feeling very confused and apathetic towards this new album.

This song is trying to sound disjointed, unpredictable, and edgy but instead it just sounds like the laziest compilation of excruciatingly boring riffs and lazy, forgettable melodies. This track is so uninteresting and bland. The two main aspects of this song's demise come from the two extremes of the divas that spearhead the band.

That bullshit metal riff and the emotionally stunted, pretentious chorus.

The 'old school metal riff' that Chino mentioned in a previous interview is hilariously out of place. Seriously. Almost laughably out of place. Don't get me wrong, I love experimental music but holy shit it's like Stephen Carpenter finally smoked himself into full stroke mode and came up with this horrendous piece of shit riff. The song starts off with a very typical, sleep inducing Stephen Carpenter-wishes-he-played-for-Meshuggah riff that he plays in an odd time signature. Wow. So edgy. The problem here is that it's simply boring and Chino's fatigued vocals give it no juice at all. But it's the next riff that violently prolapses the anus of the song. As soon as Stephen begins seizing all over his guitar in an attempt to sound like a Megadeth tribute band, I felt an overwhelming feeling of the imminent demise of a once great band.

Chino's chorus is disappointingly lacking of any emotional depth or quality song-writing. The melody is awful and the harmony included does nothing except make the listener go "Oh". I hate comparing new material to old material so I won't but I can't help but at least remember that Deftones have always been able to click emotionally and that always gave them a solid foundation. This chorus is a nice break from Chino sounding like a bad rip off of himself through the verses but other than that there is nothing here worth listening to.

The art of not giving a fuck is great if you at least give a fuck about making quality music in some aspect or another and after hearing this song I'm nearly convinced they're just pumping out music to get finished with their contract. I mentioned earlier that I felt the demise of Deftones on the horizon and don't get me wrong; I don't hate the idea.

"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain"

Plenty of notable bands have come together, put out great music, made their mark, and then finish up before they become cliches of themselves. But the problem is that bands don't always do that and usually end up becoming boring and discardable. Like chewing a piece of gum non stop for hours. Eventually there's no flavour left and the longer you keep it in there, the more bland, hard, and dry it becomes. Deftones seemed to be immune to this fairly common phenomenon but after hearing this song, I believe that time has come.

As for the rest of "GORE" only time will tell. I will give the album a thorough listen and attempt to remain unbiased. Some songs are just duds so you never really know but I won't be surprised.

OMG your opinion is VERY important...!

rainnyx4

Anyone who doesn't see the greatness of KNY is a fool (DE played it a little safe but that's warranted considering the conditions it was recorded under). Not saying that Gore is going to be a guaranteed masterpiece as a result of the artistic strides made on KNY, but KNY was clearly a giant leap for the band. It was the smartest thing they'd done since WP. I don't know if they did, but they really should have taken the progressive elements they showcased on KNY to the next level for Gore. I haven't listened to either of the new tracks yet, but from what I gather, they unfortunately haven't.

shoop

You couldn't just post this essay in the original Doomed User thread?

Inkblades

"I don't like the new song. END OF BAND!"

Inkblades

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Mar 17, 2016, 03:55 AM
Anyone who doesn't see the greatness of KNY is a fool (DE played it a little safe but that's warranted considering the conditions it was recorded under). Not saying that Gore is going to be a guaranteed masterpiece as a result of the artistic strides made on KNY, but KNY was clearly a giant leap for the band. It was the smartest thing they'd done since WP. I don't know if they did, but they really should have taken the progressive elements they showcased on KNY to the next level for Gore. I haven't listened to either of the new tracks yet, but from what I gather, they unfortunately haven't.

Good job staying on the topic of this thread.

Freedomsoldier17

what did you think of prayers/triangles op

N0S3BLEED976

"Deftones seemed to be immune to this fairly common phenomenon but after hearing this song, I believe that time has come."

Saying that this one song you didn't like is indicating the demise of the band is just senseless hyperbolism.

Inkblades

Quote from: Freedomsoldier17 on Mar 17, 2016, 04:32 AM
what did you think of prayers/triangles op

He thinks it's a pus-filled vagina created by a bunch of over-the-hill dilettantes.

chuckles

Will you give us your thoughts when they release a video?! In fact, why don't you give us some thoughts on tonight's show?!
I'm a member of Sharing Leaks...

elite54

It really is amazing how many people spend so much time on a band's message board when they clearly hate the band and haven't liked anything they have released since 2003. To create a profile and write a novel on how Doomed User indicates the band's demise is hilarious and sad.

nicklav

play

Wow. i literally completely disagree with every thing you've said in this long winded essay. It actually makes me sort of happy, because this it seems this new music from deftones is incredibly polarizing. There's people like you are fucking hating it (which is obviously fine, all opinions are respected) and then there's people fucking loving it. Reminds me of when white pony came out.

I feel really sorry for you, because I actually think this is the best stuff they've written in years, and I'm so excited.

ANattyRat

"The listener" lol no, you meant 'you'. Don't pass off your opinion as a music review. Even people that don't like the song for whatever reasons have said that they love the guitar riff. I can't believe you joined this forum just to write an essay about one song, and about how it means the band is failing or whatever.

DeftonesNZ

who the fuck writes a review like this for a single

ANattyRat

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Mar 17, 2016, 07:29 AM
who the fuck writes a review like this for a single

Seriously, you can fit like six album reviews from top magazines in that length of text, haha.

DeftonesNZ

It's probably not wise to write a review so soon after release it either, songs may grow on you best to sit with it for a little while before making such final sounding judgements

77years

Message Board Review idea: A Swing and a Miss

N0S3BLEED976