Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Doomed User: A Swing and a Miss

Started by _bilf1, Mar 17, 2016, 03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shine down unshy

Quote from: _bilf1 on Mar 17, 2016, 07:34 PM
Eh maybe the essay was a bit of an overkill but I don't apologize for the opinion or the new account to post this. I had an account on here ages ago as during my teens I was an absolutely fanatic. To some degree I very much still am. I really enjoyed prayers/triangles actually. Not the most aspiring Deftones song but again, I believe they're starting to get to the point where the integrity isn't as important anymore.

I guess it's kinda weird to make an account to post one bad review of a single but I felt compelled to come to the most renowned 'tones community to say what I had to say. Just some built up frustration with a band that, even in their worst moments, made excellent music. I also don't hate the idea of bad songs nor do I believe this one song is the demise.

This song just sums up to me the place that the band seems to be in. Everyone is so concerned with their own shit that coming together to write a Deftones album now seems irrelevant and forced. In interviews chino and Steph still get at each other's throats, lol Stephen saying he didn't even know what to do with the songs on this record tells me that there's some major disagreements going on. That has always been a thing since chino picked up the guitar I guess but all I mean is that it seems sooooo forced and convoluted now that I think it's best that the band just say Thank you to the fans and call it a day. They've had an amazing career and made some timeless classics. Just seems sad to hear them like this now. Either way, not a hater and I look forward to hearing the rest of Gore as I'm sure there will definitely be some high points :)

Word, man. Classy response.  I personally don't feel like this band is done yet.  Though I know how you feel because I felt the same way about KNY..then I heard the new songs for Gore and it lit a fire inside me again.

gwenudo

Cant believe how many people are saying Deftones should throw in the towel and call it quits. Thats ridiculous, just because you dont like the music they are making now does not mean they should stop. They're enjoying themselves. Steph was too busy enjoying making his rig while the rest were enjoying making new music. Ofcourse theres disagreements, these guys are best buds and always will be. If you and your best friend dont get on eachothers throats every once in awhile, then theyre not your best friend. Stop feeding the negativity, enjoy what they enjoyed making and are proud of or just stop listening. Simple
Was it like it seemed?...

jaypayton

the first 2 new songs have been medicore to shit. all the stuff about tension in the band and stef on his way out...got a feeling this album is going to suck hard...from all their ups and downs they have yet to put out a shit album (DE and KNY arent great but they are still passable)....most great bands who are around for over 15 plus years eventually will drop a shitbomb (The Cure with 'wild mood swings' depeche mode with 'exciter', etc) got a feeling this will be the deftones 1st absolute shitbomb of an album....most likely their last tour as well..the end is near children

gwenudo

Quote from: jaypayton on Mar 17, 2016, 09:57 PM
the first 2 new songs have been medicore to shit. all the stuff about tension in the band and stef on his way out...got a feeling this album is going to suck hard...from all their ups and downs they have yet to put out a shit album (DE and KNY arent great but they are still passable)....most great bands who are around for over 15 plus years eventually will drop a shitbomb (The Cure with 'wild mood swings' depeche mode with 'exciter', etc) got a feeling this will be the deftones 1st absolute shitbomb of an album....most likely their last tour as well..the end is near children
Lmfao
Was it like it seemed?...

NYRexall

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Mar 17, 2016, 07:29 AM
who the fuck writes a review like this for a single

Quite a few comments in this thread had me laughing but none as hard as this one  ;D

jciraheta

no , this is weird , but its the beauty of life , diferentes opinions, i love PT , it comes in a time that ia m maybe going to live to some other place so , the flamingos flying reminds me that,

hell i hope they dont spli for one bad song or even for one bad album , deftones y my favorite band for 20 years so they have credit with me xd

_bilf1

Well I took everyone's advice and kept listening and I do quite like the "don't make this out to be something about you" segment. It's something!

ANattyRat

Quote from: _bilf1 on Mar 17, 2016, 07:34 PM
I think it's best that the band just say Thank you to the fans and call it a day. They've had an amazing career and made some timeless classics. Just seems sad to hear them like this now. Either way, not a hater and I look forward to hearing the rest of Gore as I'm sure there will definitely be some high points :)

So because you, personally, don't like this song, you think they should call it a day? Just stop listening to their music, then. They're not going downhill, plenty of people will disagree with you and are happy to see them still making music and touring. They want to make music, that's why they're still doing it. If people don't like the direction they go in, that's fair enough, but they can make a freaking dubstep album if it's what they're passionate about, this is their passion, who cares what you or the rest of us think about when they should call it a day?

_bilf1

Quote from: ANattyRat on Mar 18, 2016, 09:35 AM

So because you, personally, don't like this song, you think they should call it a day? Just stop listening to their music, then. They're not going downhill, plenty of people will disagree with you and are happy to see them still making music and touring. They want to make music, that's why they're still doing it. If people don't like the direction they go in, that's fair enough, but they can make a freaking dubstep album if it's what they're passionate about, this is their passion, who cares what you or the rest of us think about when they should call it a day?

Because I, personally, don't like the idea of a group of guys I respect just making music because they're being forced to by a record label like a bunch of slaves:

"Asked what he was most proud of on the new disc, Carpenter answered: "I think my proudest thing about my guitar playing on this record is just playing on the record, because I didn't want to play on the record to begin with. It wasn't until way later once I actually got into it. I look at all the songs on the record and they were all a challenge for me to get into."

"Carpenter continued, "My band is going one direction and I am going another one currently," but when asked if that meant he might leave DEFTONES, he said, "I would never leave the band that I started, but the band started leaving me. I can't control that."

"While the guitarist said he has "a great time for the most part" with DEFTONES, he admitted: "We have got issues that I do not want to leave home, but how things will be in the future, I do not know...there are some things that I will not do in the future because I just don't agree with it."
-blabbermouth.net

They've already done this! SNW was the same except swap Stephen out for Chino. You can tell even from the interviews with media that there's way too much tension in the band. That's just from interviews man! If they're willing to come out and say shit like that in interviews imagine what they're private lives are like about the situation!

I'm just calling a spade a spade guys. These types of interviews have been going on for years and either Chino or Stephen ends up being unhappy about a record. DE and KNY were decent and the band seemed relatively happy but here we go again with some more arguing and let's be honest guys, the clock is ticking, no one's getting younger. This song quite clearly shows, *to me*, that Deftones are just scraping the bottom of the barrel.

2MoreHours

Quote from: _bilf1 on Mar 18, 2016, 04:45 PM
Quote from: ANattyRat on Mar 18, 2016, 09:35 AM

Because I, personally, don't like the idea of a group of guys I respect just making music because they're being forced to by a record label like a bunch of slaves:

"Asked what he was most proud of on the new disc, Carpenter answered: "I think my proudest thing about my guitar playing on this record is just playing on the record, because I didn't want to play on the record to begin with. It wasn't until way later once I actually got into it. I look at all the songs on the record and they were all a challenge for me to get into."

"Carpenter continued, "My band is going one direction and I am going another one currently," but when asked if that meant he might leave DEFTONES, he said, "I would never leave the band that I started, but the band started leaving me. I can't control that."

"While the guitarist said he has "a great time for the most part" with DEFTONES, he admitted: "We have got issues that I do not want to leave home, but how things will be in the future, I do not know...there are some things that I will not do in the future because I just don't agree with it."
-blabbermouth.net

They've already done this! SNW was the same except swap Stephen out for Chino. You can tell even from the interviews with media that there's way too much tension in the band. That's just from interviews man! If they're willing to come out and say shit like that in interviews imagine what they're private lives are like about the situation!

I'm just calling a spade a spade guys. These types of interviews have been going on for years and either Chino or Stephen ends up being unhappy about a record. DE and KNY were decent and the band seemed relatively happy but here we go again with some more arguing and let's be honest guys, the clock is ticking, no one's getting younger. This song quite clearly shows, *to me*, that Deftones are just scraping the bottom of the barrel.

"I look at all the songs on the record and they were all a challenge for me to get into."

That quote from Steph really doesn't have me feeling good about what we will get.  He didn't say a couple of songs were hard for him to get into.  He said all of them were.  So far, I can't really get into the 1st two songs they have released but I guess only time will tell.  SNW was kind of a weird album to me at first but it really grew on me and is one of my favorites now.

the7thsaga

Jesus man, Stef was right about people getting too emotionally invested in social media. Have you ever been a part of their creative process? Played with them? Hung out in the rehearsal space or studio? No? Then you're just speculating. There has been friction in the band since White Pony, you're right - but that was 16 years ago! Friction doesn't mean they can't get along at all. They do a record every couple of years and spend months and months out of the year touring with each other. If you have a friend you agree with 100% of the time, one of you is lying. These dudes have known each other as long, if not longer, than you've probably been alive. If I obsessed over every little detail, word, inflection and gesture about any of the bands I listened to as much as some people on this board, I'd be miserable.

E-Money

I say only good can come from the friction. White Pony

2MoreHours

Quote from: the7thsaga on Mar 18, 2016, 05:00 PM
Jesus man, Stef was right about people getting too emotionally invested in social media. Have you ever been a part of their creative process? Played with them? Hung out in the rehearsal space or studio? No? Then you're just speculating.

No shit, Shirlock.  That's all any of us are doing.  If you think Gore will be awesome because you love Doomed User, you're also just speculating.  Based on what Steph has said and on what I have heard, I'm speculating that this won't be a great record it may be one that has to grow on me.

the7thsaga

Quote from: 2MoreHours on Mar 18, 2016, 05:11 PM
Jesus man, Stef was right about people getting too emotionally invested in social media. Have you ever been a part of their creative process? Played with them? Hung out in the rehearsal space or studio? No? Then you're just speculating.

No shit, Shirlock.  That's all any of us are doing.  If you think Gore will be awesome because you love Doomed User, you're also just speculating.  Based on what Steph has said and on what I have heard, I'm speculating that this won't be a great record it may be one that has to grow on me.

Thanks for taking time out of your busy day to validate my opinion. I appreciate it. I don't know why you're so worried about what I think of the record, though :-\

2MoreHours

Quote from: the7thsaga on Mar 18, 2016, 05:24 PM
Quote from: 2MoreHours on Mar 18, 2016, 05:11 PM

Thanks for taking time out of your busy day to validate my opinion. I appreciate it. I don't know why you're so worried about what I think of the record, though :-\

I could give 2 shits about what you think about it.  You're welcome.

_bilf1

Jesus man, Stef was right about people getting too emotionally invested in social media. Have you ever been a part of their creative process? Played with them? Hung out in the rehearsal space or studio? No? Then you're just speculating. There has been friction in the band since White Pony, you're right - but that was 16 years ago! Friction doesn't mean they can't get along at all. They do a record every couple of years and spend months and months out of the year touring with each other. If you have a friend you agree with 100% of the time, one of you is lying. These dudes have known each other as long, if not longer, than you've probably been alive. If I obsessed over every little detail, word, inflection and gesture about any of the bands I listened to as much as some people on this board, I'd be miserable.

Lol, no I haven't been a part of it, thank god. It sounds like a nightmare. Im also speculating that Gore won't be a terrible record so, for your own health, don't get all bent out of shape over my opinion on a shitty song by a great band. I'm still a fan at the end of the day.

the7thsaga

Quote from: _bilf1 on Mar 18, 2016, 06:47 PM
Lol, no I haven't been a part of it, thank god. It sounds like a nightmare. Im also speculating that Gore won't be a terrible record so, for your own health, don't get all bent out of shape over my opinion on a shitty song by a great band. I'm still a fan at the end of the day.

Just as your opinion on DU doesn't upset me, I wouldn't be bothered if you were predicting Gore was going to be a bad record. It's not my place to question your subjectivity or whatever, but I just don't understand how or why some people follow members of bands to such extremes. There are very few people involved in the music industry whose opinions I value so strongly, and half of them are also my friends.

2MoreHours

Quote from: the7thsaga on Mar 18, 2016, 07:01 PM
Quote from: _bilf1 on Mar 18, 2016, 06:47 PM

Just as your opinion on DU doesn't upset me, I wouldn't be bothered if you were predicting Gore was going to be a bad record. It's not my place to question your subjectivity or whatever, but I just don't understand how or why some people follow members of bands to such extremes. There are very few people involved in the music industry whose opinions I value so strongly, and half of them are also my friends.

I haven't seen anything in here that suggests anyone is following a band member to an extreme.  Are you sure you are posting in the right thread?

jaypayton

they are just going through the motions..stef has all but admitted he doesnt like the direction they are going, their live shows have featured the same standard setlist for 5 years....as of now i have zero interest in seeing them on this tour. why bother? so i can see a greatest hit set with stef standing in the corner twiddling his wrist bored out of his mind?  the band is clearly on cruise control...its time to call it a day..let chino go make more hipster music with shaun lopez

whitefur

Quote from: jaypayton on Mar 18, 2016, 07:21 PM
they are just going through the motions..stef has all but admitted he doesnt like the direction they are going, their live shows have featured the same standard setlist for 5 years....as of now i have zero interest in seeing them on this tour. why bother? so i can see a greatest hit set with stef standing in the corner twiddling his wrist bored out of his mind?  the band is clearly on cruise control...its time to call it a day..let chino go make more hipster music with shaun lopez

You think Steph is bored playing the heavy classics? I think he looks more bored playing Rosemary. All I want to see right now is the greatest hit set list.......I don't like the direction they are going; I'm not liking the 8 string. I don't think we are getting the "best" Deftones........Chino and Sergio are pulling one way and Steph is pulling another way, and what we end up with is mediocre. I wish Steph would write a record using a drop tuned 7 string......drop A or Ab.