Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Favorite Song on Gore (First Reaction)

Started by illthrowROCKS@U, Apr 03, 2016, 07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illthrowROCKS@U

Okay, a couple things first:

I understand that the album is completely new.  I understand we all need some time to fully digest the album before we come to our ultimate conclusions.  I understand that we've only got a weak vinyl rip to go off of for now.  Don't crucify me for asking this question "too early."  I'm only interested in finding out what people's favorite songs are on their first few listens.

I'd also like to hear people's reasoning for their choices.

You can pick two, so a favorite and one runner up.  And, if you change your mind over the next couple days, as is inevitable, you can change your choices.  But if you change your mind, please let us know what changed your mind. 

Let's have some productive conversation here too, no bashing anyone else's opinion please.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Havoc

Phantom Bride is 1st followed by Hearts/Wires for me...So far only song that hasn't grabbed me is Geometric Headdress.

Vgh

Penicks

listened to it four times, gore has always stood out

Prayers/Triangles, Geometric Headdress, Hearts/Wires, Pittura Infamante and Phantom Bride are the ones that haven't clicked yet. the latter's solo is ridiculous, ruins the rest of the song and does not belong on the album

mrpelon94

illthrowROCKS@U

Right off the bat, the two that stood out the most to me were Acid Hologram and Xenon.

I love Acid Hologram, because it's just overall badass.  The whole thing is so dark.  It's like if The Smiths got together with The Smashing Pumpkins and had a baby.  It's amazing.  One of my favorite Deftones tracks in a very very long time.

Second would be Xenon.  I just love that riff, and the drum beat is.. well... it's Abe.  I love this one for almost the opposite reason that I love Acid Hologram.  While AH is dark and dreary and depressing, Xenon feels uplifting to me. 

I love them all, though.  This is everything I was hoping for from Deftones.  It blows DE and KNY completely out of the water for me.  This will end up climbing the ranks for years to come, I can feel it.  I doubt it will touch ST or WP status, but it will be up there, easily in the top 3-4.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

ANattyRat

Damn, only picked one, haha, sorry. Geometric Headdress and Phantom Bride. Or maybe Hearts/Wires. I don't know. Geometric Headdress surprised me, I wasn't expecting it. I love the lyrics, the vocals, everything. Phantom Bride is such a sad song, even the vocals sound very melancholy but ballad-y at the same time, I really love it. Hearts/Wires, well, the intro is incredible, unique, and the rest of the song lives up to it, with some amazing guitar parts, too.

Honestly though, I can only say for sure that Prayers/Triangles is my least favourite. Any of the others, well, any of them can be my favourite, to be honest. So impressed beyond words about this album.

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 03, 2016, 07:24 PM
I love them all, though.  This is everything I was hoping for from Deftones.  It blows DE and KNY completely out of the water for me.  This will end up climbing the ranks for years to come, I can feel it.  I doubt it will touch ST or WP status, but it will be up there, easily in the top 3-4.

Agree, my two favourites are White Pony and self-titled, and this will definitely be in the top three, #3 on the list at least. For me, I mean. Can't speak for anyone else.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 03, 2016, 07:26 PM
Damn, only picked one, haha, sorry.

You can change your vote.  I selected that option when I created the poll.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

jciraheta

as for now call me crazy but

1. Acid hologram

2. Players triangles

pelican fly

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 03, 2016, 07:24 PM

I love Acid Hologram, because it's just overall badass.  The whole thing is so dark.  It's like if The Smiths got together with The Smashing Pumpkins and had a baby.  It's amazing.  One of my favorite Deftones tracks in a very very long time.

This.

2MoreHours

I've only listened all the way through once but I already know Rubicon is my favorite.  A lot of the album is kind of slow and almost makes me lose interest at times.  Rubicon has a good tempo and the crunching guitars that I've always loved about Deftones.  There aren't many moments like that on this album which is fine.  It's just a different album.  I like (L)mirl a lot too.  This is an album that will have to grow on me because of the overall tempo but I do think I'll end up liking it. 

pinkmaggit69

Drinks won't stain this birth!

Rally Sweat

Quote from: 2MoreHours on Apr 03, 2016, 08:15 PM
I've only listened all the way through once but I already know Rubicon is my favorite.  A lot of the album is kind of slow and almost makes me lose interest at times.  Rubicon has a good tempo and the crunching guitars that I've always loved about Deftones.  There aren't many moments like that on this album which is fine.  It's just a different album.  I like (L)mirl a lot too.  This is an album that will have to grow on me because of the overall tempo but I do think I'll end up liking it. 

Yeah a lot of it seems pretty mid-tempo, so I think the excitement might come with tone - like Phantom Bride for me is all kinds of exquisite, so maybe you'll feel different when you hear a better quality version? Get all the texture.

Rally Sweat

Still really love P/T too - so uplifting but melancholy, makes me feel weird.

rhapsodos

Hearts/Wires has a really good guitar riff. Song stuck out the most for me.

jciraheta

like i said  acid hologram but if i could choose 5

1Acid hologram
2. Players triangles
3. Gore
4. Rubbicon
5. PB

2MoreHours

Quote from: Rally Sweat on Apr 03, 2016, 08:21 PM
Quote from: 2MoreHours on Apr 03, 2016, 08:15 PM

Yeah a lot of it seems pretty mid-tempo, so I think the excitement might come with tone - like Phantom Bride for me is all kinds of exquisite, so maybe you'll feel different when you hear a better quality version? Get all the texture.

Yeah, once a high quality version comes out, I'll go for a ride, crank it up, and let it all soak in.  Hard for me to properly judge it until then but from the rip that's going around now, I think it will be pretty solid. 

kurtone

I don't think I have a favorite track yet, but a few of the chorus' really have a '90s pumpkins/shoegazy feel to them IMO, which I really dig. And the Morrissey vocal effect that Chino mentioned in an early interview is definitely there.  And no disrespect to Steph but I really like that theres not a lot of that "chugga chugga" low end stuff. I mentioned this in the Gore thread but on my first listen I kind of thought that the last three tracks could have been reordered, ending with Phantom Bride or Gore. Just my two cents...

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: kurtone on Apr 03, 2016, 09:32 PM
I don't think I have a favorite track yet, but a few of the chorus' really have a '90s pumpkins/shoegazy feel to them IMO, which I really dig. And the Morrissey vocal effect that Chino mentioned in an early interview is definitely there.  And no disrespect to Steph but I really like that theres not a lot of that "chugga chugga" low end stuff. I mentioned this in the Gore thread but on my first listen I kind of thought that the last three tracks could have been reordered, ending with Phantom Bride or Gore. Just my two cents...

Absolutely!  I love Rubicon, but it doesn't feel like a proper closer to me.  I would have definitely preferred Gore or Phantom Bride to be the final track on the album.  The end of those songs feel more final.  Rubicon's ending leaves much to be desired to me.  It's almost like it's RIGHT there, but doesn't quite seal the deal to me.

Then again, I felt the same about WHTY's ending, and later changed my mind.  We'll see what happens.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem