Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

About Stephen Carpenter

Started by gwenudo, Apr 04, 2016, 08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwenudo

Can we all just shut up about what Steph said and stop blaming Chino for the "lack" of Steph sound? Not sure if many of you read (I assume most of you did) but Steph digs the album. He said it was hard to get into at first but loved the outcome. You guys act as if this is a new thing though, no, this has always been a thing, except this time Steph said it out loud for all these news websites to report it and mix it up. Also the complaint about the lack of Steph in this album is ridiculous, not sure what yall smokin or what but i can definitely hear Steph throwing down some heavy shit in this even in this low bit rate that sounds like ass. Maybe theres a "lack" of sound because of how compressed it is IDK, but my boy Steph has thrown in some riffs that will make this album a favorite classic. Stop spilling what these news articles said and listen to what the band really says instead, they're all pretty done with the shit said as well, hell even Sergio came out yesterday saying its bullshit. When i met the band in dallas couple weeks ago they even said its all stupid and people should shut up (Steph was laughing) Steph came in, enjoyed making the record in the end, hes happy, we're happy (well some) lets move on and hope this 320 version drops ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was it like it seemed?...

rainnyx4

Even from the shitty rip it's easy to see (hear) Steph fixing prominently in the mix. I'd say the biggest difference between this album and others isn't necessarily the absence of Steph but more so the increased inclusion of Chino's guitar and Sergio's bass. On every song it's pretty easy to hear all three stringed instruments playing through each other.

77years

LMIRL Steph is dropping huge bombs everywhere. Gore & Rubicon he's powering them ahead

Inkblades

Yeah, I don't really get the "Steph is being downplayed on Gore" stuff. I heard him present in every song.

Longstem

Stephen not present? Yeah right, he's more in Deftones than ever with his, Chino quote, 'ridicilious big guitar'.
Stop listening to those shitty quality leaks.. wait for the real thing. Guitar sounds like a bomb on Gore (only listened to 3 songs so far).

beaverwithfishyshoes

Quote from: Longstem on Apr 04, 2016, 10:43 PM
Stephen not present? Yeah right, he's more in Deftones than ever with his, Chino quote, 'ridicilious big guitar'.
Stop listening to those shitty quality leaks.. wait for the real thing. Guitar sounds like a bomb on Gore (only listened to 3 songs so far).

PM thanks.

mrpelon94

i hope they play that solo live with jerry and steph's riffs and the end of Phantom Bride

jlaggot

Just because every song isnt a Steph chugathon doesnt mean  he isnt present and making use of that signature 8 string sound. It's just more tame and blended this time which shows a maturation to me over the standard chugchug riffs from KNY and DE. Steph is all over this.

kurtone

Quote from: jlaggot on Apr 05, 2016, 12:03 AM
Just because every song isnt a Steph chugathon doesnt mean  he isnt present and making use of that signature 8 string sound. It's just more tame and blended this time which shows a maturation to me over the standard chugchug riffs from KNY and DE. Steph is all over this.

Yes

snw9

From what I've read and gathered from interviews, Stephen wants to work on his song ideas and take the lead on them rather than Chino's ideas all the time. For sure Stephen is on the record however I would like to hear his input more as we did on albums like Adrenaline, ATF, S/T and DE.

Code: [Select]

ANattyRat

I agree. And hell, wasn't the band jamming while Chino was on tour with Crosses or something? So Stef had plenty of time to get in his own ideas and whatever. Just because there isn't a Meshuggah-sounding song doesn't mean it's not Stef, I'm sure he's more diverse than "LET'S PLAY A METALLICA SONG GUYZ!" You know? He sounds excellent on this album.

ToneDef

Fact is his presence ISN'T felt as much on this record. Deny it all you want but it's right there. Yes he features, yes he's playing the same role, yes it's the Deftones.. But the album simply doesn't have as many of those stef moments. Remember hearing WGTB for the first time? Rapture? Poltergeist? That's what people mean. It's not rocket science.

SomeOf

Quote from: ToneDef on Apr 06, 2016, 08:18 AM
Fact is his presence ISN'T felt as much on this record. Deny it all you want but it's right there. Yes he features, yes he's playing the same role, yes it's the Deftones.. But the album simply doesn't have as many of those stef moments. Remember hearing WGTB for the first time? Rapture? Poltergeist? That's what people mean. It's not rocket science.

+ 1

2MoreHours

Quote from: SomeOf on Apr 06, 2016, 02:35 PM

+ 1

Completely agree with this.  This is not a heavy album and Stef doesn't really shine.  It's a good album but just in a softer Deftones kind of way.  Also, some of the moments that could have been heavy aren't because they had the gain turned down on Steph.  That kind of seems to be the theme on this record, fade the gain and less chugga chugga and honestly, I don't have a problem with it.  They have so many heavy songs in their catalog that I can always go back and listen to those when I want it.

YouWOuldKnow

Quote from: 2MoreHours on Apr 06, 2016, 02:41 PM
Quote from: SomeOf on Apr 06, 2016, 02:35 PM

+ 1

This has actually been true for the last 2 records before Gore... Sergio wrote the bulk of the riffs on DE and KNY. No bullshit, no rumor

Completely agree with this.  This is not a heavy album and Stef doesn't really shine.  It's a good album but just in a softer Deftones kind of way.  Also, some of the moments that could have been heavy aren't because they had the gain turned down on Steph.  That kind of seems to be the theme on this record, fade the gain and less chugga chugga and honestly, I don't have a problem with it.  They have so many heavy songs in their catalog that I can always go back and listen to those when I want it.

E-Money

I am more impressed with steph on this record then I am with diamond eyes and KNY put together.

YouWOuldKnow

Quote from: E-Money on Apr 06, 2016, 10:19 PM
I am more impressed with steph on this record then I am with diamond eyes and KNY put together.

I agree... very creative

Shadow46/2

+1

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

YouWOuldKnow

It's that struggle that gets them in the zone

nicklav

Quote from: Shadow46/2 on Apr 06, 2016, 10:31 PM
+1

Absolutely.