Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

User Reviews (short)

Started by rock_n_frost, Apr 05, 2016, 09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rock_n_frost

I tried to read a few reviews/reactions in ''sharingdicks'' but all i saw was ''PM me'' and ''OMFG best album evaaa bestttt woooo goooo peeeee''
So i would like to read your opinions about the album as a mature reviewer.

My take:
1- P/T: I really dont care about this song, its just an ok song.
2- ACID: Very good song. Not surprised its one of the favorites of the band.
3- Doom: Ah no...This song is very wrong on many levels. This is a ''delete'' song from your players.
4- Geo: Ahhh..This is my favorite. Everything is amazing, especially the song has different layers. I likes, i likes.
5- Hearts: Wow, such a dark song..Makes us cry inside. Perfect!
6- Pittura: The fuck is this? Absolute trash song. Worst of the album.
7- Xenon: Another pointless/bad/undeftonic sound the same with DU and Pittura has. Weak and easly forgetable.
8- Lmir: Overrated too much? Amazing lyrics, great verses..but then the other parts makes it weak. Have no idea how that intro went through a happy song..
9- Gore: Classic !.. Well done with the vocal style and wow those riffs blew my mind.
10- Phantom: Woooow..Such a beautiful song and one of the BEST ENDING right there. I'm kinda disappointed with the solo tho.
11- Rubicon: Deftones always have amazing closers..This song is another classic..Soooo good.

Overall: Pretty damn good songs with a few waste of slot songs.

Stay away from the hype and fanboyism and write a quick, short review.
I would like to read.

Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

Capt Snow

Dude, Pittura is amazing. Listen to it again

ANattyRat

I've more or less copy and pasted what I posted in the Gore thread. Longer than yours though, sorry.

Prayers/Triangles: Already said. Nice, typical Deftones, weakest (but still good) song on the album.

Acid Hologram: Vocal melody's interesting. Lyrically it reminds me a LOT of Entombed. Very image-heavy but repetitive lyrics, which I think put me off the song initially, but now I enjoy.

Doomed User: Heavy, raw, but nowhere near the depth of the rest of the album.

Geometric Headdress: Lyrics are really intriguing, some really great lines. Haven't listened to Gauze in a while, but it reminds me of Gauze a bit, the way the rhymed words kind of carry on throughout the whole song in the same patterns.

Hearts/Wires: The intro...I'm in love with it, very mysterious-sounding. There are some really amazing, yet simple, guitar parts. Lyrically, it seems sad and reflective, but musically it switches moods so much, sometimes sounding uplifting, sometimes kind of downcast. Really an incredible song, one of my favourites.

Pittura Infamante: That's the weirdest opening music for a Deftones song ever, that was...surreal. When the guitar (I don't know anything about guitars, but I'm guessing the second guitar that comes in is Stef's?) comes in, it has such a heavy but catchy feel to it, a lot of groove. Great lyrics too, some of my favourite.

Xenon: I really love the drums on this, and the guitars are so mesmerizing, and Frank's effects during the chorus, but it didn't live up to my expectations.

(L)MIRL: The intro and the first verse are very dark and sinister. Definitely agree with the review(s) that said it was like the soundtrack to a psychological thriller. Probably the most sinister-sounding they've ever been. Dark, but not in a painfully-raw, 'Deathblow' or 'Mascara' kind of way. At first I hated when it switched and sounded happier, but now after multiple listens, it's grown on me a lot. It's still dark and sinister, just not in the same way as the intro/first verse. I do hate the "I sail on these waves, hey!" part though.

Gore: Heavy stuff, the final screams are absolutely glorious. Weirdly long outro though.

Phantom Bride: This song threw me off the most, and I don't even know why, it just sounds so unlike any other song they've done, in my opinion. Sounds kind of like a ballad, but a Deftones one, and very sad. The solo comes in flawlessly, it doesn't even sound surprising in a Deftones song, it just fits so well. 'Melancholy' is the best word I can use for this song.

Rubicon: Musically heavier than I was expecting, and I was kind of expecting something slow, for some reason. The "Take me in" (if that's what he says) part is so beautiful. This is the first time I've genuinely cared about song order on an album, but it fits so well on this album as a closer, it kind of sounds like a warm goodbye.

Overall: No hype (well, yes hype, but my own hype), but I adore this album. There's no song that I (currently) find skippable, but a few songs that are underwhelming compared to the rest, which really stand out. A very unique album with a diverse sound and range of moods. The lyrics are some of the best in a long time, in my opinion, too, which I'm happy with.

RaptureWS

Prayers/Triangles: After hearing the album, this song does feel liek a good opener. The bridge/screaming part in particular is heavy without a big crunchy riff. Unexpected, just as they said much of this album would be.

Acid Hologram: First reaction was "dafuq is this shit?". After many album spins though, I look forward to this track. Not my favorite, but the chorus is catchy in a sneaky way and the dark guitar work makes this one of the moodiest songs on the album.

Doomed User: Very disjointed. I was really excited for it's potential when I heard the live version. I liked the studio version at first but it's quickly losing allure. Like Prayers, DU is better in context of the album but all in all feels like a B-side. Haven't heard Crest yet but I bet it would have been a better song to include on Gore.

Geometric Headdress: Oh man, I love this track. Right when I thought "Well, this album just might not be for me" Geometric Headdress started playing and changed everything. Reminds me of Romantic Dreams in the way it changes in style with each section except much better. Renewed my hope for the album. Second fav track on Gore and honestly an all-time great 'Tones song in my book.

Hearts/Wires: Did not quite live up to the hype for me, but the studio version added a lot and I am really starting to dig it. "Cut through this razor wire..." is spine chilling but I doubt it will ever be the song I hoped it would be (for me, I know many of you really enjoy this track and I can see why).

Pittura Infamante: I will never understand that hate for this one. One of the album highlights for me. I love the lyrics and imagery. The Egyptian-style sound of the verse into the driving guitar in the chorus under Chino's subtle but entirely soothing melody are brought together in the bridge. The song climax sounds like the God he is worshipping has finally engulfed his soul as he surrenders and revels in the beauty of it. Amazing song. Blows my mind that I am in the small minority here.

Xenon: I won't be surprised if this song becomes a single. A bit repetitive but it's so fucking catchy that I don't mind a bit. The chorus is spacey and airy without lacking energy. Wouldn't be out of place on SNW. Another highlight for me.

LMIRL: "Hey!" Wasn't too sure about this one at first but it has grown quickly. Reminds me of Acid in terms of the dark vibe. Imagine a city that has just been hit by a bomb. It is a beautiful sunny day but on the ground is death and destruction. This song is that sunshine, aware of the horror below but indifferent to it. That might sound strange but that's just what I see when I hear it. The chorus has a hint of southern rock/country, an area that Deftones have never explored before. It's so subtle though that I wouldn't be surprised if this was unintentional and the song just came together that way. This is one of the songs that also has that 90s space-rock feel many reviewers have mentioned.

Gore: Abe helps build anticipation in the verse by killing the high hat before the chorus explodes. This song is for those that dig Deftones guitar heavy parts behind Chino's massive screams and it does not disappoint in the least. If there is one track on this album that is "typical Deftones" I would say this is it but it is different enough to fit perfectly on the album. Killer track.

Phantom Bride: Absolutely beautiful. This song sounds a lot like what I expected Hearts/Wires to sound like. Has a bit of an 80s ballad feel without any of the cheesiness(sorry, best word I could think of!). Cantrell's contribution is great for this song. The solo is a tad underwhelming for me but it works. The push and pull at the end between Cantrell is a great ending though I feel like Stef's riff is a bit lazy and uninspired.

Rubicon: Oh boy. Where to start? It made me cry. It really did. As I mentioned in other threads, I feel like Deftones career was just leading to this song. If Deftones knew they had to write one final song and then call it a career I bet it would sound something like this. Powerful, triumphant, victorious, unrelenting......My favorite track on the album and, no bullshit, might be my new favorite song of all time. I love it that much.

Overall, this is easily my favorite album of theirs in 10 years. I know it just came out but if you held a gun to my head and made me rank Deftones albums in order, this would be at #2 only behind ATF. Time changes things though so we'll see. Regardless of where it lands on my personal list, this is one of those career defining albums that will be held in high regard for a very long time by many. The major depature in sound compared to their previous work and what is expected from them is going to polarize the fanbase for a while though. I personally loved this album instantly but it's definitely not accessible. That's okay with me. Overall: 9/10
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

pony_01

Prayers / Triangles: skip.

Acid Hologram: the best off Gore. no need to describe.

Doomed User: okay.

Geometric Headdress: have a indie band / Tame Impala-ish nuance. Lovely vocal melodies.

Hearts / Wires: i dont care about this song.. overrated.

Pittura: seems to be a new way of "heavy" deftones. reminds me of light grenade of incubus.

Xenon: stunningly amazing. catchy and abe's drumming is priceless.. and chino's vocal melody too! one of the best.

(L)mirl: a great song, should have fit Palms album.

Gore: MOSH! would be great to perform live.

Phantom Bride: This one is really special because Cantrell on it. kinda similar with what Maynard do on Passenger.

Rubicon: the intro is so Poison The Well! loving it! this song sounds like it been played by a band from 2009. strangely fresh deftones.

Overall:
GORE 8/10

Moz

1- P/T: I think this is a good (not fantastic) intro, in the context of the record its lovely, but on itself it is a bit bland compared to stuff like Hexagram and Feiticeira I suppose. Im really warming up to it now that Im listening to it on the record itself though. One of the more traditional songs on the record as well, reminds me of Diamond Eyes (the song).

2- Acid Hologram: One of my favorites on this record. Very summer-ish and dark at the same time. After the chorus when the 'weird' part kicks in with the altered voice and Frank's sound effects, I reaaaaally love that part. Reminds me of the 'anything goes' experimental song structure of White Pony.

3 - Doomed Used: Loved this song in the beginning and still love it, dunno why people don't dig it more to be honest. Anyone who has had a (hardcore) punk period in their life will appreciate it I think. A hard song but with a twist in the way the melody and off key singing is structured, perfect for this record imo.

4 - Geometric Headdress: Couldn't make head or tales from it during the first two listens but really warming up to it. Nice lyrics, up tempo. Not one of my favorites but I like it.

5 - Hearts / Wires: Didn't really think much of it during my first listens but its growing into my favorite song on the album. The chorus is soooo epic, especially the last one when it combines with Chino's singing in the bridge. The Change of this record imo, and it also says, alright, from here on, anything goes on this record!

6 - Pittura: havent got a good grasp on this song. I like the sounds, they make me feel good, and again a summerish vibe, but it has yet to fully sink in for me.

7 -  Xenon: Awesome start of the song, very up tempo and reminds me of Jane's Addiction for some reason. I feel like its the sister song of Pittura, both songs are very feel good to me (with a dark twist ofcourse).

8 - Lmirl: This is the song I understand the least of the whole record. I love the intro but then it loses me a bit. Again, Ive only listened to the record about ten times so I still have to fully learn to appreciate it. Don't really know if this song will become my least favorite on the record but it MIGHT happen, dunno.

9 - Gore: launches the end of the record for me, in a most fantastic way. Superb melody and singing, and that outro is brutal. Also the perfect song to carry the Gore name, as it reminds me both of beauty and uglyness. Very well done.

10 - Phantom Bride: Didn't understand this song very much either in the beginning but its growing a lot. Very unconventional sounds and proooobably the most cheesy song on the Deftones, sounds like an 80s Santana song sometimes haha. But the melody is strong and again the ending is epic.

11 - Rubicon: Probably my favorite song right now, although Im afraid Ill wear it out because I listen to it so much. Rivals Pink Maggit for best Deftones album closer. So happy and sad at the same time. I said it before but I really think this song is about Chino not being able to do this life alone and therefor needs the band to face the crowd. Almost like a career-ending song in the sense that it sounds like a final goodbye sometimes. Hope not of course. Man, listening to Rubicon is just so inventive: as soon as its done you want to start the record over again, probably because of the blood pumping last couple of seconds where it sounds like the band is getting ready to start it all over again.

All in all, for me now, the best record since ATF and WP. The third classic.

SomeOf

Here's my opinion. I'm french, sorry for my english.

1- P/T: I like the song but it seems out of context when you listen to the whole package. Should be on DE.

2- Acid Hologram: Very similar to the universe on KNY (especially Chino's voices). Not so bad, good moments, but too slow. With a higher tempo & more energy it would have been an incredible track.

3- Doomed User:
I've hated it at first 'cause it seemed a little bit forced, but in the whole package and after more listening, it's a very good song : energy, screams, guitar... catchy.

4- Geometric Headdress: Easily one of my favorite on GORE. Dark verses/bridges + sad chorus, this one doesn't seems forced at all.

5- H/W: The intro is fantastic, dark & beautiful in the same time... After that, I was expecting something unique and incredible...
Obviously I'm very disappointed, verses are boring (especially Chino's voice) and the chorus is just "ok". Again : the song is too slow.

6- Pittura Infamante: Sooooo boring. A very forgettable song. Annoying.

7- Xenon: Could have been a good song but same problem over and over again : the tempo ! This is so slow, I fell asleep 5 times.

8- (L)MIRL: Amazing (and dark) intro, could have been in WP.
Verses are "ok" but bridges & chorus have a "happy" vibe that REALLY doesn't fit the song. Starts amazing, finish boring.
(AND it's too slowww. There's a big difference between "ambient" that takes you somewhere new... and "slow" that makes you fall asleep)

9- Gore: <<< DEF-TO-NES. Ambient, nostalgic, raw, energy, amazing singing style, riffs, drums.
That crazy & violente ending is deeply powerful and those screams above guitars... delightful. One of the band darkest moment ever.

10- Phantom Bride: Doesn't sound like DEFTZ at all but it's a very good song with a beautiful universe.

11- Rubicon: Great job, cool vibe but overrated.

6/10
I'm kind of disappointed by this album, it misses something and it is often really too slow. IMO, Chino is a little bit lazy on this one if you compare to ATF, WP, DE or even KNY (which I don't really like), he was very inventive. He is too repetitive in GORE.
Don't get me wrong, it's a great album and I do believe it takes time to get everything. I like DEFTONES since 2006 and I forever will.

But stop the hype and stop the honeymoon phase. It is NOT the best album (not the worst either) and it is REALLY NOT Chino at his best (maybe you should go back to listen to Digital Bath, WGTB, Rivière, or Dai the Flu to remember).
Plus, I'm really missing Carpenter on this one. I couldn't feel him like I usually do when I'm listening to DEFTZ.
Someone on the forum said that GORE sounded like it was a "cover album compilation" made for Chino, by Chino itself. It is exactly what I feel.

I love that band so much because each album is a new era. They are not afraid to reinventing themselves / to take risks.
But please, don't do stuff like PALMS when it comes to DEFTZ.
You can try all you want but keep at least the core.

jciraheta

very short reveiw , i just listen the album as a whole one time , and i like a lot

higlithgs at the moment : acid hologram , the ending of the song  gore, i do like pt, i do like doome user ,

overall good album with high peaks  with more listend i make a propper judgmendt , but look easy a 8.5 o 9 album around the best of deftones with Adrenaline, ATF ST and SNW , my favorites ...

LG95

Quote from: SomeOf on Apr 05, 2016, 02:31 PM
But stop the hype and stop the honeymoon phase.
There's nothing better than a person who doesn't like an album telling other people that they should stop liking the album... ::)
I could float here forever

SomeOf

Quote from: LG95 on Apr 05, 2016, 03:11 PM
There's nothing better than a person who doesn't like an album telling other people that they should stop liking the album... ::)

What I meant was : please stop saying that EACH new record is the best one, it's lame and not objective.
DE was the best, KNY was the best, now GORE is the best... everything is "the best".

LG95

Quote from: SomeOf on Apr 05, 2016, 03:19 PM

What I meant was : please stop saying that EACH new record is the best one, it's lame and not objective.
DE was the best, KNY was the best, now GORE is the best... everything is "the best".
I haven't seen a single person say Gore is the best.
I could float here forever

deftonesluvrbrazil

1- P/T: Boring chorus. The vocal melody doesn't match the instrumental, at all.
2- ACID: Interesting experimental song.
3- Doom: Garbage. Why so much reverb on the vocals btw?
4- Geo: Interesting, the chorus is kinda cool, but it's not a Rosemary or anything like that.
5- Hearts: Maybe the best song of the album.
6- Pittura: Terrible.
7- Xenon: Sounds like a jingle, the chorus is laughable, honestly.
8- Lmir: Very cool experimental chorus, but too radio-friendly.
9- Gore: Sounds cool at first, then it gets kinda boring after a few listens.
10- Phantom: Cool song, but not a Deftones songs. It sounds like they were covering a song from the 80s.
11- Rubicon: I like this one, but it's not memorable at all.

Overall: Disappointment.

Rally Sweat

Quote from: SomeOf on Apr 05, 2016, 03:19 PM

Trying to be objective is just a false position. That's why everyone is taking something different from this album - because there is not really any abstract criteria with which to judge it, and certainly none that makes sense from an individual standpoint, which is what this post is all about.

Anyway, love PT, Acid, HW, Gore, PB, the rest I'm at varying levels of acceptance with. Not sold on Rubicon as a closer. Riviere is the gold standard as far as I'm concerned. Could all change on Friday when I get to hear it properly. Lyrics and melodies might stick a bit better.

ANattyRat

But stop the hype and stop the honeymoon phase. It is NOT the best album (not the worst either) and it is REALLY NOT Chino at his best (maybe you should go back to listen to Digital Bath, WGTB, Rivière, or Dai the Flu to remember).
Plus, I'm really missing Carpenter on this one. I couldn't feel him like I usually do when I'm listening to DEFTZ.
Someone on the forum said that GORE sounded like it was a "cover album compilation" made for Chino, by Chino itself. It is exactly what I feel.

The fact that you're telling people it's not the best album is funny. Don't speak for anyone but yourself. I haven't seen anyone say Gore is the best, only that it's in their top three at the very most, or that it has the potential to be. The hype can definitely get to you, but this IS the honeymoon phase, and we're discussing the album and music during the honeymoon phase. If someone wants to say it's the best, cool. Maybe they'll stick to that opinion ten years from now, maybe they'll hate it in three months, but it doesn't matter, because it's all about our opinions as we're feeling them.

Anyway, White Pony is my favourite album of all, but there are definitely songs on Gore that could indeed be some of their best, along with the various songs you mentioned (not that the songs you mentioned are objectively the best).

kurtone

Prayers/Triangles - Typical first single, probably the most "radio rock" song on the record.

Acid Hologram - First song with that '90s pumpkins/shoegazy vibe, I like the imagery Chino uses.

Doomed User - Song reminds me of a sequel to "Poltergeist." Will probably be a setlist staple for the first year of touring the record.

Geometric Headdress - I like how the various vocal parts are sung. Song seems to be related to PI.

Hearts/Wires - Love the intro. Kind of a sad song.

Pittura Infamante - I'm in the minority here, but I really dig this one. Wasn't expecting that intro. I like the vocal style on the chorus. And the imagery.

Xenon - Wish the intro would have been bit longer.

(L)mirl - Song starts out so creepy, but then turns really hopeful. I'm in the minority but I like the "heys" during the chorus. Felt like maybe the song could have ended on that last "hey" instead of going into the heavy outro.

Gore - This song sounds like it never fully evolved from a jam session, which I think works for it. That scream at the end is just vicious. Would't have minded seeing this song close out the record.

Phantom Bride - I could see this one being a single. I was really intrigued about hearing a solo in a Deftones song but I think it fits and doesn't sound out of place. The heavy ending kind of takes you out of the song though.

Rubicon - I know everyone seems to love this song, and it's a good song, but for some reason their closing songs never "click" with me. I liked the callback to "Hexagram" with the "crowd goes wild" lyric.

This record as a whole isn't as accessible as their other records, so people were right to lump it with SNW in a way. I've said it in a couple other threads, but this record for me really has that '90s Pumpkin/shoegazy vibe to it, especially in some of the chorus'. I really dig that, so that alone makes me think this record might become one of my favorites by them. I also like the vocal style/pattern Chino uses on certain songs and that Steph isn't using the "chugga "chugga" low end stuff as much.

I also see a lot of imagery from the movies they used to use in the background during some songs. Like those weird '70s cult classic type movies. Like "Valerie and Her Week of Wonders" or even "The Holy Mountain." There was another one with chicks dressed like Native Americans but I don't know the title.

77years

Exactly. Fuck off

beaverwithfishyshoes

Quote from: rock_n_frost on Apr 05, 2016, 09:07 AM
8- Lmir: Have no idea how that intro went through a happy song..

listen to the lyrics. it changes because the character sets himself free.

Hinojos

Quote from: RaptureWS on Apr 05, 2016, 11:08 AM
Rubicon: Oh boy. Where to start? It made me cry. It really did. As I mentioned in other threads, I feel like Deftones career was just leading to this song. If Deftones knew they had to write one final song and then call it a career I bet it would sound something like this. Powerful, triumphant, victorious, unrelenting......My favorite track on the album and, no bullshit, might be my new favorite song of all time. I love it that much.
You took every single word directly out of my mouth with this one. It's as if they put everything they have and everything they've ever worked for into this one song; like it's their final song to cement their legacy. I loved the whole album for the most part (there's a lot of growers to me which is fine), but when this song played it instantly jumped to my favorite song of the album, if not ever. That's just me personally though, I've seen some people call it overrated and unmemorable but I just don't see how. I'm generally a pretty unbiased person too and this isn't just a hype-induced response to that song.

SomeOf

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 05, 2016, 05:02 PM

The fact that you're telling people it's not the best album is funny. Don't speak for anyone but yourself. I haven't seen anyone say Gore is the best, only that it's in their top three at the very most, or that it has the potential to be. The hype can definitely get to you, but this IS the honeymoon phase, and we're discussing the album and music during the honeymoon phase. If someone wants to say it's the best, cool. Maybe they'll stick to that opinion ten years from now, maybe they'll hate it in three months, but it doesn't matter, because it's all about our opinions as we're feeling them.

Anyway, White Pony is my favourite album of all, but there are definitely songs on Gore that could indeed be some of their best, along with the various songs you mentioned (not that the songs you mentioned are objectively the best).

I have to agree with you on that one : this is indeed the honeymoon phase.

Some adjustement :
- never said I didn't like GORE (only disappointed)
- never said people shouldn't like GORE either

It is just very boring to read in every pages that it is "soooooooo much better than previous records", like it was already done with DE, KNY... People also must learn to listen to negative critics about something they like.

Anyway, at least we are all agree how much amazing is that we love a band who is capable of challenging itself in every new album.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: SomeOf on Apr 05, 2016, 09:49 PM
It is just very boring to read in every pages that it is "soooooooo much better than previous records", like it was already done with DE, KNY...

I dunnooooo man.  I don't remember DE or KNY having this kind of a reaction with other people.  I can say that they CERTAINLY didn't have this reaction from me.  DE and KNY are together with Adrenaline as the very bottom 3 on my pile of Deftones albums.  And that's pretty much how it's always been, since I first listened to them.

Gore, on the other hand, I have had a much different response with.  I absolutely love it.  Could it be, maybe... just maybe, that the adoration of the album is well deserved, and not just due to some "honeymoon phase?"

If you had to pick something else from their catalogue that was close, Gore seems to sound most like ST.  From what I've seen, ST seems to be the most popular album among people on this forum.  So it wouldn't be much of a stretch to see people enjoying Gore.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem