Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The sound of Gore

Started by N1n3, Apr 09, 2016, 10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N1n3

Sorry for my english, i hope you will understand me. I'm little disappointed with the sound of Gore. Abe's drums are so blended in the background. I like the rougher mixing but the drums sounds horrible. How do you think about the sound/ mixing of Gore?

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI GRA-L09 mit Tapatalk

whitefur

I agree. Drums are hard to here. Stef's tone is the worst of any record.

BLUMPKIN

I'm not convinced that you aren't listening to the shitty vinyl rip. 

N1n3

No i got the CD!

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI GRA-L09 mit Tapatalk

whitefur

N0S3BLEED976

I don't know guys, it sounds great to me. And I don't have the most expensive stereo system. A more than decent one, but certainly no 2000$ audiophile hifi nonsense. I actually think it's one of their best sounding records. Abe is certainly audible and in the forefront numerous times

jciraheta

ike i said in the other tread : maybe i am a grouppy or waht ever but i love the album , out the eleven songs  i adore 5 or 6 and the other 5 are great, no skippers ,  it has a sense of fatality or closing i dont know how describe it

forr me they have 9.5 out 10

LG95

My major complaint would be that the drums need to be further forward in the mix. I'm ok with the sound in general and it's nice to hear this record being a bit more raw but the drums aren't clear or powerful enough, I think.
I could float here forever

E-Money

Quote from: LG95 on Apr 09, 2016, 08:46 PM
My major complaint would be that the drums need to be further forward in the mix. I'm ok with the sound in general and it's nice to hear this record being a bit more raw but the drums aren't clear or powerful enough, I think.

Agree 100% .. It's not terrible but it's not as great as it has been in the past. That's mainly why I miss terry. His drum recordings were always the best. Still like the more raw feel a lot more on this one. Abe just doesn't stand out enough and Frank is a little too low but I think he's been to low on every record except white pony.

2MoreHours

They purposely botched the production on Gore so they can sell us all a remastered version later.  8)

LG95

Abe seems to agree that the guitars are too loud at times https://chorus.fm/interviews/abe-cunningham-of-deftones/

QuoteYeah, there's definitely tons and tons of detail that's in there. It goes back to us trying to make full albums in a singles-based world where everyone is getting their information so quickly. We still hope that someone, preferably if they had the means, will sit back and listen on their headphones or their speakers. You know what I mean? There's a lot of work that went in, and just the equipment that was used, too. Recording is such a cool thing, so mics and all these good old things.

It's meant to be taken in with a few deep breaths and hopefully things will leap out at you. I hear things now, it's obviously set in stone now, but the guitars are too loud on certain things to me. It pisses me off, but you know what? It is what it is. I should have spoken up when I had the chance [laughs]. There's lots of detail, man, and that's the main thing. Hopefully, things will continue to leap out.
I could float here forever

whitefur

The guitars on a lot of tracks are fatiguing to the ears. Very harsh and empty sounding. It sounds like they were recorded with a Line 6 solid state amp from 1999.

shine down unshy

Yeah I've said it before, Abe's mix is hardly audible sometimes.  Hopefully one of the sound techs on the board can re-mix the album and make it sound better.