Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones 9th album anticipation thread

Started by rainnyx4, Apr 16, 2016, 08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainnyx4

Wasn't impressed very much by Gore and am already looking forward to thinking their next album as a result. What would you like to see them do with it?

1. Bring back and expand intros/outros/segues - Probably one of the best things about KNY. Really made it feel like one cohesive journey and added a lot of atmosphere to the album.

2. Get Stephen to step up his game and become more involved. A lot of the riffs on Gore were lacking and overly simplistic. Also, I don't like how much he relies on that top string. It's very often too muddy and lacks punch. Learn some new techniques and utilize the full range of all 8 strings if you insist on having it.

3. Elevate Frank and Abe in the mix more often. This is minor but, they often get drowned out unnecessarily.

4. Lose the 80's butt rock style. Didn't really work for the most part on Gore. Just expand and mingle the post-hardcore, shoegaze, goth, space, and prog stylings. That's what this band is best at. Cantrell's solo style also didn't fit. I'm all for this band adding solos (loved those mini-solos and leads on KNY) but it's got to work with their sound.

5. Bring back the weird and electronic stuff like Teenager, Konami Code, Anniversary, etc. Loved it when they threw out these curveballs in the past. It was an important part of their sound until DE. Don't really know why they stopped doing it.

6. Longer and more complex songs. They've showed that they are capable of creating some really unorthodox and intellectually challenging song constructions. Would love if they could stay motivated and ambitious enough to carve out their own groove in the progressive music arena.

7. Maybe start having vocal guest stars again. Yes, Serj was pointless on SNW. But other than that, they've done some great vocal collaborations. Also, keep it under wraps during production to make it a surprise.

ChickenNoodle

Nothing against you but the thread title sure fooled me into thinking deftones had announced a new album. But based on your post it looks more like a request or what I want on the next album instead of a true anticipation topic. My bad. :/

ANattyRat

Quote from: ChickenNoodle on Apr 16, 2016, 08:40 PM
Nothing against you but the thread title sure fooled me into thinking deftones had announced a new album. But based on your post it looks more like a request or what I want on the next album instead of a true anticipation topic. My bad. :/

We had a thread like this after Koi No Yokan, when we just got tiny tiny little teasers of them jamming on the Deftones site. Time for the next one, I guess, haha.

I can do without those experimental songs. I mean the ones like Teenager, Lucky You, etc. They've never done much for me. I love Gore, but definitely want Stef to initiate more ideas, so I'm hoping it won't take him long to get excited next time around, and he'll bring forth some good ideas. Also agree that Frank's effects need to be louder, he does some awesome stuff but it's hard to appreciate it when it sounds like they're trying to make him just about audible.

Other than that, more of what they've been doing.

Freedomsoldier17

Vesanic

The new album was released 8 days ago. Let's live in our time for once?

ANattyRat

As soon as they've released an album, it's time to anticipate the next one for maximum hype.

Vesanic

cvthedrv

fireflyry

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

krook

This is ridiculous. The new album is just out, and you're already making predictions about the next one.
I hate White Pony.

Reichward

Quote from: krook on Apr 17, 2016, 12:23 PM
This is ridiculous. The new album is just out, and you're already making predictions about the next one.
This thread is just "what I don't like with Gore" in disguise.

jaypayton

this is the final album so enjoy it. no way they make another. steph is gone

E-Money

Quote from: jaypayton on Apr 17, 2016, 11:11 PM

Nope.. What's steph gonna do? Go out and join some other more metal band. Deftones are the money maker. We'll get TS first and probably Crosses and Palms but I'm sure there will be another one down the road.

DenakDW

I'll come back here in 2021 to see if there are any news bout this Lp9.
And all the days I've missed you 🍂

ANattyRat

Quote from: jaypayton on Apr 17, 2016, 11:11 PM

You've been saying that since probably Diamond Eyes.

Martin

Vesanic

Martin

Quote from: MrVesanique on Apr 18, 2016, 08:20 AM
Quote from: Martin on Apr 18, 2016, 07:04 AM
Can we go ahead and lock this?

Mart you're a moderator ffs lol

I know that Ves...just a possibility for deliberation.
Anyway, bullshit's locked.