Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore is horrible.

Started by The Cyndicate, Apr 18, 2016, 07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

from_musings

ok i assumed so since a person asked if she was "Cyn" and "she" said yes. Cyn the mod - white pwny. well it ain't jaypayton either. (i think)

The Cyndicate

Quote from: from_musings on Apr 22, 2016, 10:38 AM
ok i assumed so since a person asked if she was "Cyn" and "she" said yes. Cyn the mod - white pwny. well it ain't jaypayton either. (i think)

No, I am The Cyndicate.
I am well known in gaming and fighting.

People call me CYN because I live in Vegas, I also beat people for a living and I can be pretty inventive with online discussions let's say.

Vesanic

Quote from: The Cyndicate on Apr 22, 2016, 12:21 PM

Hah no surprise you'd join to stir shit up

The Cyndicate

Quote from: MrVesanique on Apr 22, 2016, 12:27 PM

Hah no surprise you'd join to stir shit up

Hey, look, I care about this band. Yes I will stir shit up if I think they are putting out subpar stuff. I have never felt this way about one of their albums and neither have several of the people I've been around for over 2 decades.

Vesanic

Should have added that smiley, I was mildly serious. But you do know you'll lift the waves when you're going to the church to scream God is a wet fart.

Back on topic, I haven't really expressed an opinion about this album yet, but I'll just say one thing : whether you like it or not, there's less cohesion to this than there is to SNW. There, I said it.

The Cyndicate

Quote from: MrVesanique on Apr 22, 2016, 12:53 PM
Should have added that smiley, I was mildly serious. But you do know you'll lift the waves when you're going to the church to scream God is a wet fart.

Back on topic, I haven't really expressed an opinion about this album yet, but I'll just say one thing : whether you like it or not, there's less cohesion to this than there is to SNW. There, I said it.

I took it light hearted.
Maybe I should have added a smiley? Lol

Far away

Quote from: nicklav on Apr 21, 2016, 10:07 PM
I'd like more songs like Lovers. His voice is still punishing during those choruses without him having to scream his head off..

YES PLEASE!

from_musings

I can be pretty inventive with online discussions let's say.

lol you're just a trolling shit starter? fuck you got me.i actually believed the "my opinion is fact,no such thing subjectivity"but now in retrospect, i should've seen it  ;D

The Cyndicate

Quote from: from_musings on Apr 22, 2016, 04:09 PM
I can be pretty inventive with online discussions let's say.

lol you're just a trolling shit starter? fuck you got me.i actually believed the "my opinion is fact,no such thing subjectivity"but now in retrospect, i should've seen it  ;D

I only troll antagonists.
I meant most of what I typed.

Freedomsoldier17

Quote from: Far away on Apr 22, 2016, 04:05 PM
Quote from: nicklav on Apr 21, 2016, 10:07 PM
I'd like more songs like Lovers. His voice is still punishing during those choruses without him having to scream his head off..

YES PLEASE!

I'd say Acid Hologram is pretty similar to Lovers in this respect

B_S_79

As much as I have been shitting on the mix.. I realized I was listening to the CD rip that was floating around before the album release. I recently downloaded the official DL from the email I got from the Deftones webstore when the album was released, and it actually sounds better than what I was listening to.

Gore

I thought I'd wait a little while to let the album sink in a bit before I posted my opinion on it but today I took a bit of a drive and put the album on again and turned it off halfway through. I just found it very boring. Probably the first time I've ever said that about a Deftones album.
On the very first listen I was a bit shocked and didn't like it all all but I wasn't to worried as that had happened before and I knew that some of their past albums evoked that feeling in me but I ended up loving them after some more listens. I remember absolutely hating Diamond Eyes at first and then coming to really love that album.
I've loved every release of their's so far. My 2 favourites are ATF and ST but there hasn't been a release that I wouldn't have given less than 8 out of 10. In fact only Koi would be an 8, the rest 9 plus.
I wasn't as crazy over KNY as the rest but it was still a great album.

After a few listens I must admit I had begun to think that Gore would grow on me. It has it's moments and I don't think it's a terrible record, it's just not up to Deftones standards for me.
Before Gore came out Deftones were like gods to me, they could do no wrong now I see them as a little more human.
I really can't understand why people like the three plodding, unimaginative dirges of the album: L(mirl), Hearts/Wires and Phantom Bride.
The riff in the verses of Hearts/Wires is so boring and uninspired.
Especially with those 3 songs Deftones just sound so much like any post rock band, whatever it is that makes them unique is sadly missing from those songs.

To top it off the production is appalling and Abe is buried in the mix. I remember not really ever paying that much attention to drums before I got into Deftones but Abe's drumming really changed that for me.
Sadly I can barely make him out in the mix.
Then there's Chino. His voice actually sounds surprisingly good on Gore if not a little dull at times. When you listen to a lot of bands who have been around as long as Deftones you notice the singers voice beginning to deteriorate as they get older and after years of abuse so I'm actually amazed at how good it sounds, especially seeing as Chino is no longer in his twenties, or even his thirties for that matter.
Even though I don't like the song I thought his voice was very impressive on Pittura Infamante. I didn't know he was capable of singing like that. He sounds like a mixture of Bono and Bjork at times. I'm not sure if that's what I want in a Deftones song but I can appreciate that they tried something new on this.
One thing that is missing though is the little nuances that were especially prevalent on an album like White Pony - the little whispers etc.
Then there's Chino's screams. I really love a lot of the aggressive Deftones songs, Hexagram, WGTB etc and Chino's screams have always been able to send a chill down my spine. The problem on Gore though is that terrible effect or whatever it is that's put on Chino's screams.
I agree with Bifrost in that it sounds tinny. They remind me of the sound a cat makes when you step on its tail and it's really unpleasant for the ears.
His screams have gone from being some of the highlights of the album for me (e.g. end of Royal) to being something I can't bare listening to.
Really I hope that they don't use Matt Hyde again, this guy is really shocking.

I know a lot of you on here love Gore and that's great, everyone is going to have their own opinion of it but I put it right at the bottom of all Deftones albums ...... by a mile.
I think that possibly it's getting a lot of love on the forum because it's still the honeymoon period and after waiting 4 years for an album a lot of people just really want it to be good but I suppose time will tell.
Really wishing now I still had my old username of PinkMaggit instead of Gore :D   
Incidentally I have a friend that's a big Deftones fan too and he actually hates the album and thinks that Chino sounds whiny on it. I don't think I'd take it that far but his voice does actually just drone and whine a bit. First time I haven't really loved his singing, despite his abilities still being there is that makes sense.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: Gore on Apr 24, 2016, 07:02 PM
I think that possibly it's getting a lot of love on the forum because it's still the honeymoon period and after waiting 4 years for an album a lot of people just really want it to be good but I suppose time will tell.

I keep seeing this from people who don't like the album. Does this actually ever happen to anyone?? I have never in my life ever experienced this "honeymoon period" people keep mentioning...  The only Deftones albums that I'm "meh" about are DE and KNY. Gore is straight gold, because it sounds amazing, not because of this weird phenomenon I've never before even heard of with music...
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

deftones86

eh i dont like it either first time that has ever happened and idk how i feel about it

Freedomsoldier17

E-Money

I feel like the record could definitely be mixed better and I feel if Terry produced gore it would have really been something. I still think there is some incredibly solid music on this bitch. Personally I think Lmirl is one of the best songs in their catalog. I'm surprised to see a lot of you not enjoying it. To me it's definitely got more enjoyable moments then DE and KNY. And I feel like these songs are going to be great live. Rubicon is just a killer track. My definition of deftones. But the drums aren't loud enough on a lot of tracks and that sucks because there's some amazing playing from Abe on This record. Abe just destroys Geo and Rubicon.

rainnyx4

A Deftones album has never grown on me. My first impression always seems to remain.

I remember going out and buying S/T the morning it was released, listening to it in the car, and being instantly disappointing with how lazy it sounded.

Gore doesn't sound lazy to me (other than some of Stephen's riffs), but it is an artistic misstep I believe. The first 4 tracks are solid, though I don't like how they were mixed at all, but most of the rest of the album falls flat with some really odd stylistic choices (they really need to ditch the 80's butt rock style). Also really disappointed by the lack of intros/outros/segues as seen on KNY. Was really hoping they'd expand upon that on Gore or at least maintain it. But nope, pretty much completely absent.

Vesanic

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Apr 25, 2016, 04:18 AM
A Deftones album has never grown on me.  I remember going out and buying S/T the morning it was released and being instantly disappointing with how lazy it sounded.

Guess you have to grow on it.

deftones86

Gore

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 25, 2016, 02:51 AM
Quote from: Gore on Apr 24, 2016, 07:02 PM

I keep seeing this from people who don't like the album. Does this actually ever happen to anyone?? I have never in my life ever experienced this "honeymoon period" people keep mentioning...  The only Deftones albums that I'm "meh" about are DE and KNY. Gore is straight gold, because it sounds amazing, not because of this weird phenomenon I've never before even heard of with music...

Haha it seems to happen on this board a lot.
Diamond eyes was the shit when it came out on this forum but now it's shat on.
SNW was hated now more and more here it's given the love it deserves.