Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore is horrible.

Started by The Cyndicate, Apr 18, 2016, 07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B_S_79

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 25, 2016, 02:51 AM
Quote from: Gore on Apr 24, 2016, 07:02 PM
I think that possibly it's getting a lot of love on the forum because it's still the honeymoon period and after waiting 4 years for an album a lot of people just really want it to be good but I suppose time will tell.

I keep seeing this from people who don't like the album. Does this actually ever happen to anyone?? I have never in my life ever experienced this "honeymoon period" people keep mentioning...  The only Deftones albums that I'm "meh" about are DE and KNY. Gore is straight gold, because it sounds amazing, not because of this weird phenomenon I've never before even heard of with music...

My honeymoon period is over with the album. I still like most of the songs. I'm skipping a few more frequently - I still think it's a solid effort. I'm honestly not sure where it ranks for me.

Rubicon

I think Gore is probably my second favorite Deftones album behind Saturday Night Wrist.

It's honestly the first Deftones album where I feel like I can't skip any tracks-- it flows too perfectly for that. I get bored with KNY before it's over, even though I like every song. I think it has something to do with the similar tempos between most of the tracks  Sometimes I don't feel like listening to "Beauty School" or "Sextape" when I'm listening to DE, and I don't find myself missing them when I skip. SNW has the couple of filler tracks plus "Mein". ST... not a fan of Lucky You at all. WP? As awesome as Maynard's part is, I feel like he ruins the end of the album on Passenger. Yeah, I said it, I don't like Passenger. His parts are too powerful. It kills the flow of the album, and to me Passenger sounds more like cool collaboration done for a movie or something. I can't remember the last time I listened to ATF front to back; I usually just jam random songs from it when I'm feeling aggressive and angsty.

But yeah. I've listened to Gore heavily since the leak- almost every day - and there isn't a song here that I don't at least really like. People seem to dislike Geometric Headdress, but that'd probably make my top four or five tracks. I love Chino on it. It does sound like three different songs mashed together, but all three songs are good and create an interesting juxtaposition. The spacier songs? Fucking great.

There's something really primal about Gore. It feels kind of tribal, almost. But at the same time it's really spacey, kind of futuristic sounding. It's an odd combo, but it keeps things interesting the entire time. It's a really unique record.

The album evokes a lot of different feelings and colors for me. I'd call pretty much every other Deftones album a "night time album" whereas Gore's an album I want to listen to on the brightest, hottest summer days. KNY was certainly a nighttime album; it sounded the best when I'd drive around late at night, looking at the blur of city lights.

To me, the sharp, thin sounds of the production make me think of a very bright, saturated, almost too-hot summer day. Yes, there are times when the drums get buried in the mix, but I don't really see problems with the guitars or Chino's voice. They're just shifted to a sort of different sound palette in my mind. I love how everything Frank does sounds on here, too. It's buried, but trying to break through. I see that as an artistic choice rather than necessarily "shit" production.

Then again, I know fuck all about sound engineering and production. But I  find it hard to believe that a band as big as Deftones had "shitty" production. They wanted this album to sound this way for a reason, I think. Some people might not like it, and that's fine, but I don't think it's objectively bad.