Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore is horrible.

Started by The Cyndicate, Apr 18, 2016, 10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicklav

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 18, 2016, 08:50 PM
Quote from: whitefur on Apr 18, 2016, 08:27 PM
Quote from: B_S_79 on Apr 18, 2016, 07:40 PMI've been listening to the album in my car, and this is the first album that actually hurts my ears. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but something sounds off. (I feel like someone accidentally upped an EQ level to way above normal levels.) It's almost tinny sounding? Maybe too much treble and reverb? I don't know...

Yes, it's Stef's guitar......it's very harsh sounding.

Steph's guitar sounds like ass on the record.  Given that they weren't on a timetable (or so they've said), you'd think they would have spent more time and energy making sure the shit didn't sound like that.  I know they did spend a lot of time, but hearing the finished product they definitely should have spent MORE time on it.  Also I think the 8 string is too much, the 7 was perfect but that 8 string just sounds shitty even in a good mix.

Been on this train for a while. Would love him to go back to 7.

E-Money

I'm over the 8 string for sure. He wrote his best songs on the 6..and his heaviest songs on the 6.. I still really like Gore but I agree not crazy about the mix.. Abe not loud enough on a lot of tracks.. Still Lmirl to Rubicon is probably my favorite stretch of songs on any of their records.. Wish steph would go back to the 6 ( which is never happening) and wish they would go back to Terry.

ANattyRat

Quote from: nicklav on Apr 18, 2016, 08:04 PM
I think Gore is great, and is a marked improvement over DE and KNY. That said, I miss Chino singing softly on verses like he did all over S/T (Good Morning Beautiful comes to mind). That has always felt more authentic to me, where as now it feels like he's trying to be a singer. I don't know if that makes sense.

Well, a lot of time has passed since that album, and so has his voice, so I'd say he's still being authentic, just that it's not in a way that your ideal Chino-voice sounds like. I get what you mean though, I do miss that, but hey, I'm not complaining, Gore is my third favourite.

It's funny how, when Prayers/Triangles and (especially) Doomed User were released, a lot of people were super-excited about how raw the production sounds, comparing it to Around the Fur and stuff, and now lots of people are saying the opposite. I guess it's had more time to sink in.

Production-wise, my only issue is with Frank's sounds. But Frank has never been loud enough for me.

jaypayton

problem is the whole post metal thing came and went around 2004-2007...Chino is a decade behind..the slow guitar noodling intro which lasts a couple minutes then the big heavy anthemic chorus with guitars crashing all around......ISIS was doing this in 2004....half the songs do sound like what Palms should have been

Reichward

Quote from: jaypayton on Apr 18, 2016, 11:40 PMISIS was doing this in 2004....half the songs do sound like what Palms should have been
You really are looking deep for the issue aren't you

Far away

Also I think the 8 string is too much, the 7 was perfect but that 8 string just sounds shitty even in a good mix.

I cant agree more. I thought i was alone in this.

Braincleaner

Quote from: Far away on Apr 19, 2016, 12:17 AM
Also I think the 8 string is too much, the 7 was perfect but that 8 string just sounds shitty even in a good mix.

I cant agree more. I thought i was alone in this.

I thought the 8-string was really well rounded in Diamond Eyes (minus CMND/CTRL), and it would be interesting to hear how Steph used it on Eros.
However, it does quite flat on KNY, and really shitty on Gore (it just hurts my ears)

beaverwithfishyshoes

Bifrost

Quote from: B_S_79 on Apr 18, 2016, 07:40 PM
I've been listening to the album in my car, and this is the first album that actually hurts my ears. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but something sounds off. (I feel like someone accidentally upped an EQ level to way above normal levels.) It's almost tinny sounding? Maybe too much treble and reverb? I don't know...

LOL me too, I have been listening to it in my car, and I have to adjust the EQ practically song to song to make it sound good. It's Stef's guitar. For example on Hearts/Wires - starts off awesome but then on the chorus it's just a wall of detuned distortion, which I can't get to sound right- the low end is loose and the highs too crunchy, if that makes any sense?

Also Chino needs to ditch whatever effect he uses when he screams nowadays- that tinny/ harsh effect. it doesn't sound good.

It sucks because Stef's tone on ATF used to be favorite, I tried to emulate that sound when I used to play. Now his tone is just shit, even he says so in interviews. smh.

And Chino's vocals sound often dry and harsh- I have friends that aren't into the D'tones as much as I am and even they mention it.

I am not saying I hate this album, but it is sad to see these things continue to trend in the wrong direction IMO.

The Cyndicate

Got in the car today, with my phone on Bluetooth playing random songs. Knife Party comes on, that's Deftones. Then like 2 songs later, it plays one of the new tracks. Just didn't hold up at all, and I am trying, I am trying really hard.

On the comments about his guitar, he can make the 8 work if he wants, but they need an experienced producer to do it properly.

Some of the most intense riffs for me, are the simple ones.
Like on Comanche, the end of that song gets me in a mode.

That can be done on a 7, so maybe the 7 is the right choice. All I know, is that is not the problem. The whole process on this album was the problem.

The Cyndicate

This is from the original drummer for Straight Line Stitch, a good friend of mine:

"I am sure some of you may have never thought you would hear me say these words.... The new Deftones album is completely horrible. There may be one or two cool riffs on it but for the first time in the 21 years that I've Loved this band I just cannot Listen to This Record. It sounds like another Palms record and the mix is very lackluster. If you think this is a solid mix or a really good sounding mix I'm really glad that you are not an engineer. I still got love for them but not for this release. And to those of you who love it I wish I were with you on this one."

nicklav

Quote from: The Cyndicate on Apr 19, 2016, 03:14 AM
This is from the original drummer for Straight Line Stitch, a good friend of mine:

"I am sure some of you may have never thought you would hear me say these words.... The new Deftones album is completely horrible. There may be one or two cool riffs on it but for the first time in the 21 years that I've Loved this band I just cannot Listen to This Record. It sounds like another Palms record and the mix is very lackluster. If you think this is a solid mix or a really good sounding mix I'm really glad that you are not an engineer. I still got love for them but not for this release. And to those of you who love it I wish I were with you on this one."

I can definitely hear the mix all over the place, especially once I got some time in with headphones. I agree about it sounding like two different bands as well. I jammed S/T today and had the same reaction as you. Acid Hologram sort of hints at old Deftones and unsurprisingly it's my favorite track off Gore.

B_S_79

Quote from: Bifrost on Apr 19, 2016, 02:05 AM
Quote from: B_S_79 on Apr 18, 2016, 07:40 PM
I've been listening to the album in my car, and this is the first album that actually hurts my ears. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but something sounds off. (I feel like someone accidentally upped an EQ level to way above normal levels.) It's almost tinny sounding? Maybe too much treble and reverb? I don't know...

LOL me too, I have been listening to it in my car, and I have to adjust the EQ practically song to song to make it sound good. It's Stef's guitar. For example on Hearts/Wires - starts off awesome but then on the chorus it's just a wall of detuned distortion, which I can't get to sound right- the low end is loose and the highs too crunchy, if that makes any sense?

Also Chino needs to ditch whatever effect he uses when he screams nowadays- that tinny/ harsh effect. it doesn't sound good.

It sucks because Stef's tone on ATF used to be favorite, I tried to emulate that sound when I used to play. Now his tone is just shit, even he says so in interviews. smh.

And Chino's vocals sound often dry and harsh- I have friends that aren't into the D'tones as much as I am and even they mention it.

I am not saying I hate this album, but it is sad to see these things continue to trend in the wrong direction IMO.

Another issue is the cymbals. They are so high pitched. That's what really hurts my ears I think. They sound like those fake ass karaoke song cymbals, there's so much processing on them.

Call me crazy, but the vinyl rip gives it more of a raw vibe to it and I can listen to it in my car without changing every level on my EQ.

I love the album, wish it was produced better. I remember when Chino first said they mixed it, had it done, then re did the mix. I was suspicious when I first heard that.

I can see why now.

pelican fly

^^^ spot on about the production. I love this album more than the last 3 previous releases ( as a whole, cohesive album) but I do think it could've sounded a lot better.

Certain parts/moments are great though and that shines through no matter what.

downtownpony

The cymbals in the Phantom Bride chorus are horrible. They take them out towards the end of the song, and it sounds much better.

illthrowROCKS@U

Im surprised that the idea that it's "just another Palms record," is seen as a bad thing. I'm surprised it's even a shock to anyone, as well. Every Chino side project has had an effect on the following Deftones album (see: Team Sleep/Saturday Night Wrist, Crosses/Koi No Yokan, and now Palms/Gore).

Not only did I 100% suspect that Gore would take a Palmsy, post-rocky, post-metally, spacey kind of vibe, but that is precisely why I was so excited about it. Palms is by far my favorite side project and ISIS is one of my favorite bands as well.

Who cares if it was being done 10 years ago, I couldn't care less. I don't need them on the cutting edge, I'm no hipster. You'll never hear "that was soooo last year," from me. Good music is good music, I don't understand why it matters if it's the "it thing" or not.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

The Cyndicate

Well, it's not good music, lol.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: The Cyndicate on Apr 19, 2016, 06:30 AM
Well, it's not good music, lol.

Says you. It's everything I've wanted from them but didn't get from DE and KNY.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

gloomsquadron

Man, music is truly one of the most subjective art forms, but it's why we all love it.  Mix in the fact that what Deftones do, regardless of album or era, is even more subjective.  Looking at what new fans say and what old fans say, there's no doubt that this band's true greatness is in it's ability to create so many subjective opinions.  Think about all of the other bands on your iPod, or Spotify mixes and ask if they do the same for more than 20 years.  I'm sure there are a few, but just that, a few.  Most other bands in your library, you're either wondering "what happened to these guys" or "I have 10 albums that all sound the same".  Deftones have survived the death of a founding member, living in different states, divorce, the collapse of the record industry, Napster (yeah I'm old) and lord only knows what else.  We all have memories tied to so many songs, whether it be 20 of them or 2 of them.  There are 40 year old fans who listen to songs that remind them of falling in love for the first time, or having their first heart break.  There are 20 year old kids in their basements making out to some Deftones right now.  There are 10 year old super fans who are going to shows with their dads.  There are 19 year old angst filled young women who think their moms are still bad ass because they know all the lyrics to "Lifter".  It's pretty special that some of us have spent 21 years waiting on baited breath for 8 albums (plus some other stuff) and others of us get to go and buy 8 albums and listen to the whole thing from start to end in one glorious night.  Everything else is kind of insignificant when you think about it.  Love you Deftones.

deftonesluvrbrazil

I was gonna post a topic about this, but since you created this one, i'll post it here.

I was as hyped and excited as everyone. I'm a huge fan of Deftones, I like all their albums (except Gore).

I was one of the first to get the leak. Even thought the first leak had a bad audio quality, I decided to listen to it. This is how I listened: I put on my best headphones, laid down on my bed and played each track in the default order.

Almost every Deftones album has a BEAUTIFUL chorus and sometimes a beautiful vocal melody in general. For example, in DI that chorus comes right from the first track; on SNW it comes with Beware (man, what a song); on KNY, it comes with the 3rd track Leathers (that's a BEAUTIFUL chorus).

So, I started playing the first track of Gore, which is P/T, I had heard it before and didn't like it. Then the second song, that chorus didn't come, and the song in general sucked. Then the 3rd track, I believe it's Doomd Usr, total garbage. Then the 4th song, and so on. That beautiful melody never came. When listening to Geometric Headdress I was CRINGING, I thought "WTF IS THIS?!". Throughout the whole album I was just cringing, due to the lame songs and terrible mix.

What trully disappointed me is that the songs lack the "Deftones vibe", which is hard to explain. Every album has that vibe, even the Covers album, but Gore doesn't. It doesn't feel like a Deftones album to me. It sounds like a bunch of demos of Deftones covering some underground 90s band.

I've done the same listening process again, also listened to the album while jogging, driving, whatever. It simply won't grow on me. I gave up. I went from not liking the songs to hating them, cause the more I listen the more I hate them.

It's sad to say that this is the only Deftones album that I didn't like.