Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore is horrible.

Started by The Cyndicate, Apr 18, 2016, 07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el perro

Quote from: deftonesluvrbrazil on Apr 19, 2016, 05:55 AM
It doesn't feel like a Deftones album to me. It sounds like a bunch of demos of Deftones covering some underground 90s band.

What, like Quicksand?  ;)

BlueBackpack

a bunch of people that didnt like it mentioned they played it in a car

lmao, use headphones numbnuts

Jerry_Curls

Quote from: BlueBackpack on Apr 19, 2016, 06:56 AM

On our way to the Amoeba show last Monday, it was my first time listening to it with my brother and sister, who we've all shared the love for Deftones since 1998/99, in the car. It sounded even better. Just driving through LA, bumping it really loud... The newness of the sound. The cohesion. Everything about it. I couldn't stop air drumming, singing a long (the lyrics did nothing for me the past 2 albums), it all just clicked. I feel sad for the people who don't hear that it's a great album... So point if my story is to play it as loud while driving haha
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

The Cyndicate

Quote from: Jerry_Curls on Apr 19, 2016, 07:01 AM

On our way to the Amoeba show last Monday, it was my first time listening to it with my brother and sister, who we've all shared the love for Deftones since 1998/99, in the car. It sounded even better. Just driving through LA, bumping it really loud... The newness of the sound. The cohesion. Everything about it. I couldn't stop air drumming, singing a long (the lyrics did nothing for me the past 2 albums), it all just clicked. I feel sad for the people who don't hear that it's a great album... So point if my story is to play it as loud while driving haha

I have done this, still no good.

I can hear the bad production, you just can't unhear that.

These songs just don't engage me. They are not Deftones songs. I wish I could enjoy it like you, but it just doesn't connect.

Again, I have loved all of the past albums.
All of them.

I just don't want this to happen again.
I know, that they know it's bad. They delayed it for a reason
They knew. So knowing what they know, I just don't want them to do it again. I'll look over this album, wait for the next. But if everyone keeps yes manning them and they make another album like this, well I don't want to be done with my favorite band. I just don't.

ANattyRat

Quote from: The Cyndicate on Apr 19, 2016, 11:49 PM
Quote from: Jerry_Curls on Apr 19, 2016, 07:01 AM

I have done this, still no good.

I can hear the bad production, you just can't unhear that.

These songs just don't engage me. They are not Deftones songs. I wish I could enjoy it like you, but it just doesn't connect.

Again, I have loved all of the past albums.
All of them.

I just don't want this to happen again.
I know, that they know it's bad. They delayed it for a reason
They knew. So knowing what they know, I just don't want them to do it again. I'll look over this album, wait for the next. But if everyone keeps yes manning them and they make another album like this, well I don't want to be done with my favorite band. I just don't.

Wow, you really love to speak for everyone, don't you? They are Deftones songs, and the band are happy with the album. Stop crying about how you know about music therefore you're right. The band made the songs, therefore, they're Deftones songs. They just happen to be songs that you hate. Don't make excuses for not liking it like acting like a band you love couldn't possibly disappoint you. They and they have. Accept it and stop overreacting as though it means they're doomed to make music you despise forever.

SCUM

Quote from: The Cyndicate on Apr 18, 2016, 08:11 AM
Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 18, 2016, 07:59 AM
Couple thoughts:

1. You're entitled to your opinion. Mine, however, is completely different than yours. Here it is: if Deftones have a problem, Chino isn't the reason for it. Maybe look at the guy who is writing bland riffs that are a shell of his old stuff?

2. Isn't Like Linus more or less the Adrenaline demo? Is that what you mean?

3. "Bad versions of Palms songs"...so, basically, Palms songs? I have no problems with Chino's Gore vocals (besides parts of Doomed User). I'll give you that there's some spotty production, but Gore's vocals and production absolutely blow vocals and production on Palms out of the water, IMO. I don't really get the Palms comparisons, to be honest. Palms is summery post-rock, while Gore is grungy alternative metal.

Because everything is just bland.

And vocally, he is pretty bad on this album. He is losing his depth and things are sounding forced and placated.

Like Linus is the main demo, but while they were doing shows, they had a shorter demo. Like Linus is just the longer version with more songs on it.

As far as the problem with this album, I honestly don't know where it comes from. I just have a gut feeling, being that I have done this myself, the changes seem to come from the side projects. I happen to love Crosses, but Gore sounds like a side project album. Considering Chino is the one doing a million side projects, it stands to reason that he is the root cause of this.

Either way, I don't care about blame, I just want it recognized and fixed. This is one of the best bands in history and this is the first chink in their armor. I just don't want it to become catastrophic.

I have tried to force myself to like these songs, it just isn't possible. My woman who also loves them, can't stand it either.

This album was a mistake.

you're in the industry? i find that VERY hard to believe. "forced and placated" LOL 8)

sooniletugo

"it isn't deftones, it's just not deftones, I call rivière Comanche cause I'm a tr00 fan"

This band is always changing. Listen to Koi No Yokan, Self-Titled, totally different. Saturday Night Wrist. You can't tell this band they don't sound like themselves at this stage of the game.

dearthx1

I'm not crazy about the production either. That being said, I do like the album but some of the transitions are strange to me. Most notably the transition into "Xenon", it's so abrupt and turns me off. But what I respect is that 8 albums in Deftones are still trying new things, still writing solid songs and still being Deftones. I can't name many bands that are this far into their career and still churning out albums without having completely abandoned their sound and/or identities. I'd place Gore somewhere in the middle, not as enjoyable as a lot of their other albums but still fun nonetheless.

SMLiberator

Quote from: The Cyndicate on Apr 19, 2016, 11:49 PMThey are not Deftones songs.

*Ahem*. Uhh... yes they are.

Quote from: The Cyndicate on Apr 19, 2016, 11:49 PMI know, that they know it's bad. They delayed it for a reason
They knew.

Yes, in fact I believe that's what Chino meant when he said "Out of respect for Pac, Big, Stevie, Michael, Hendrix, Gore is ONE of the greatest albums not the greatest, just one of."

Jokes aside... It's a shame you couldn't get to like the album. Personally, I love it, although I'll admit I had a hard time getting into it at first too. We can agree on the mix, however.
i'm confused??

from_musings

Quote from: The Cyndicate on Apr 18, 2016, 08:11 AM
This is one of the best bands in history and this is the first chink in their armor. I just don't want it to become catastrophic.

I have tried to force myself to like these songs, it just isn't possible.

This album was a mistake.

for me, this is the description of snw. i felt the same way about deftones and that album when that record dropped. i was in shock for months. couldn't believe it.

about gore, when we have the "too clean too polish" de and kny in the rearview mirror, i actually like most of the production on gore. a bit dark,gritty and rough. the drums are often in the background, and the guitars are very prominent, like in acid hologram - maybe not professionally done, but i like how those opening chords are like rusty swords swinging and stabbing at you. i dig it. sounds massive. don't mind the song writing either, i have no problem listening 1-5, skipping pi-gore and then finish with pb and rubicon. didn't expect a record that would blow me away from start to finish.i hoped it would be the best since s/t and for me it is. decent 7/10 for me and when people say "it doesn't have the deftones vibe,hard to explain" i get that, but for me it is enough of that vibe on gore.

from_musings

Quote from: Martin on Apr 18, 2016, 10:25 AM
this opinion could have been posted in the topic about this album.

this

The Cyndicate

Yes, forced and placated.
One minute you are forcing something, the next minute you are just OK with anything you throw down.

Now with all of the personal attacks out there, it doesn't change this album. It's bad and needs to be recognized as such. Even if just from the production POV.

Like I said, I want to like it, I just can't.

from_musings

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 18, 2016, 05:16 PM
I'm not sure if he's ever come up with a more bland riff than YSTB.  Yet, that song is popular with the fans (for what reason I'm not exactly sure)

maybe it's the chorus? it's a little more varied i think.. kinda melodic and catchy

dopeybanana

The production from song to song is HIGHLY inconsistent, and that is one of the main reasons why people are having such strong, negative reactions to the album. Xenon is a great song idea that fails in it's execution, because the mixing is downright TERRIBLE on that song. Pittura Infamante is -imo- the crowning achievement of this album, with a stellar performance from Abe, that gets drowned in muddy production; the vocals are yoyo-ed all over the place on that song. OTOH, Geometric Headdress is one of the most boring, repetitive songs that Deftones have ever created, and should have never been included on Gore. The song that was taken off at the last minute ("Crest", I think it was called) should've replaced Geometric, and I can tell you that safely, without having even listened to a second of it. Seriously, Geometric is absolute SHIT : The verses STINK, the production is lifeless and awful, and Chino STRUGGLES his way through mediocre, try-hard "intense" verses, and the only good part is the chorus, which gets repeated to death - as is the Deftones way. I feel like, at this point, Deftones should play to their strengths, which is writing songs like Pittura or Rubicon, where the songs transition from section to section seamlessly, without feeling forced or tacked on - Feticiera or Hole in the Earth are examples from the past. Songs like Romantic Dreams from KNY or Geometric are perfect examples of the band trying too hard to go for the snappy, out-of-nowhere song transitions, and it does not work. Overall, I like Gore better than KNY, and I would like to see them pay more attention to their production consistency, song stuctures, make the transitions smoother, and not just copy-paste a couple of random ideas and call it a song.
How neat, I'm impressed.
How did you come to be...so blessed?

from_musings

Quote from: dopeybanana on Apr 20, 2016, 12:07 PM
Songs like Romantic Dreams from KNY or Geometric are perfect examples of the band trying too hard to go for the snappy, out-of-nowhere song transitions, and it does not work.

what about acid hologram? you didn't mention that song, do you think the transitions work there?

B_S_79

Quote from: from_musings on Apr 20, 2016, 12:32 PM
Songs like Romantic Dreams from KNY or Geometric are perfect examples of the band trying too hard to go for the snappy, out-of-nowhere song transitions, and it does not work.

what about acid hologram? you didn't mention that song, do you think the transitions work there?

Exactly. I wouldn't even say AH has transitions, just ideas fused together.

That being said, I still think AH and GH are two of the strongest songs on the album.

Still doesn't help that the production creates a feeling that my brain and ears are bleeding. Haha.

dopeybanana

Quote from: from_musings on Apr 20, 2016, 12:32 PM

While AH does have elements of that snappy songwriting, I feel like the song has a good "flow" to it, and is overall, one of the stronger songs on the album. Just to illustrate what I'm talking about with Geometric, just five seconds into the song when Chino wails "lay back in your chair", the "chair" part is nails-on-a-chalkboard cringeworthy. Unnerving is one thing, and I welcome it, but this song is chock full of abysmally bad moments, and it has this unimaginative copy-paste section1, section 2,1,2,chorus,2,2,2 structure to it that just grates (The title track is also guilty of this, but is executed better). At around 2:00, I find myself begging for the song to take a different turn, but it GOES BACK to the cringey part, and then to the chorus, and BACK AGAIN to the cringey part, which is REPEATED a bunch of times (Did i mention that I HATE that part :P). In contrast, songs like Pittura or even (L)MIRL are progressive, and organically so.
How neat, I'm impressed.

rainnyx4

LOL @ people complaining about a song on Gore being repetitive yet songs off of S/T, their most repetitive song structure album, like Hexagram are pretty much universally lauded.

Anyone want to guess how many times they repeat the main riff in Hexagram?

dopeybanana

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Apr 20, 2016, 01:33 PM
LOL @ people complaining about a song on Gore being repetitive yet songs off of S/T, their most repetitive song structure album, like Hexagram are pretty much universally lauded.

Anyone want to guess how many times they repeat the main riff in Hexagram?

I guess my point is that if you're going to repeat the hell out of a section, don't make it the worst section of the song, like in Geometric. Hexagram's main riff is a good riff, and the repetition does not deter from the experience.

Something about Geometric Headdress rubs me the wrong way, I guess :P. Let's agree to disagree on this one.
How neat, I'm impressed.

SomeOf

I wouln't say GORE is horrible but yes it is a huge dissapointment.

For the first time ever, I am not obsessed with a Deftones' record.
I don't want to play GORE over and over again.

Too flat for me, I can't feel the (ENTIRE) band inside my guts as before.
In GORE, Chino is on the top of the moutains and everyone is only gravitating around him.

Each time I play a song or two, I feel the need to go back and play ancient Deftones' records.