Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore is horrible.

Started by The Cyndicate, Apr 18, 2016, 10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMLiberator

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Apr 20, 2016, 04:33 PM
LOL @ people complaining about a song on Gore being repetitive yet songs off of S/T, their most repetitive song structure album, like Hexagram are pretty much universally lauded.

Anyone want to guess how many times they repeat the main riff in Hexagram?

Let's not forget BQAD
i'm confused??

Braincleaner

Quote from: SMLiberator on Apr 20, 2016, 06:42 PM
Quote from: rainnyx4 on Apr 20, 2016, 04:33 PM
LOL @ people complaining about a song on Gore being repetitive yet songs off of S/T, their most repetitive song structure album, like Hexagram are pretty much universally lauded.

Anyone want to guess how many times they repeat the main riff in Hexagram?

Let's not forget BQAD

Or Elite

stepanas

3 things:

1. Zero (0) moments. Like, not a single riff even or part of the song, chorus or something catch my attention. Ok ok, first part of chorus of that song with headress in title had something, but that's about it. I admit, though, with DE their songs became less & less memorable, but KNY at least had that Poltergeist intro riffage..

2. Sound of the record. So damn flat. Like plastic... dunno how they even managed to get such sound. Was that intentional or something.
3. Chino singing. :'[
no fist to fuckin' save you from

Rally Sweat

To me (L)mirl is the most progressive song structure they've ever attempted - it actually evolves, which has gotta be a first.

E-Money

Quote from: stepanas on Apr 20, 2016, 06:45 PM
3 things:

1. Zero (0) moments. Like, not a single riff even or part of the song, chorus or something catch my attention. Ok ok, first part of chorus of that song with headress in title had something, but that's about it. I admit, though, with DE their songs became less & less memorable, but KNY at least had that Poltergeist intro riffage..

2. Sound of the record. So damn flat. Like plastic... dunno how they even managed to get such sound. Was that intentional or something.
3. Chino singing. :'[

Dude Wft are u serious?

kurtone

I'm really surprised some people on this board aren't making millions in the music industry. So many production/song writing experts here. It's crazy!

SCUM

Quote from: kurtone on Apr 20, 2016, 07:36 PM
I'm really surprised some people on this board aren't making millions in the music industry. So many production/song writing experts here. It's crazy!

yeah it's nuts right? maybe you guys should start a band , call it deftones and re write the history of this band since you apparently know so much more than them. fucking idiots.

shine down unshy

Lol, Cyn is that you

fireflyry

It's all good OP.

Music is subjective, sorry to hear your not a fan of the new album, but I enjoy reading what people dislike about it and it's never an issue of right or wrong when it comes to personal thoughts on music. This forum should be about more than just blind allegiance and personally I've never been a fan of people who just blindly rave on about how good an album is just because it's from a band they are a huge fan of. If anything I'm a million times harsher when critiquing releases from bands I enjoy and am passionite about than the ones I just dabble in, very much so when it comes to the Tones.

In saying for me personally I have always found it hard to comment on any Deftones album for the first few weeks, if not months, and I'd say I have struggled with at least half of their discography in regards to the first few times I have heard it. For example Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan both took a LONG time to grow on me as complete works. The first few listens really did'nt impress me apart from a few tracks that I instantly clicked with, usually the more aggresive ones. The albums as a whole though were often a struggle for me to get into at the time of release but one thing I find with much of this bands recent music is it grows on me with paitence and time.

As such I'm remise to comment to much or give my take on their albums at time of release as I think they are a hard band to reveiw in such a way, at least for me personally.

I will agree this album is highly, HIGHLY compressed. Not sure if Matt Hyde was the best fit tbh and part of me wishes they would get Terry Date back to produce as he seems to get the best sound from the band, especially when it comes to Steph and the guitar tone.

I also miss Chi and his influence. While I am a huge fan of Sergio he seems to be more on Chinos wavelength in regards to sonics and harmonics. I often get the feeling Steph and Chi were the ones to keep the band on track when it came to their aggression and would pull the reins in on Chinos influence outside vocals where as now he seems to have a lot more free reign. Of course thats complete assumption as they don't really talk about it but I have noticed the flavor just seems way different.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

The Cyndicate

Quote from: SomeOf on Apr 20, 2016, 05:10 PM
I wouln't say GORE is horrible but yes it is a huge dissapointment.

For the first time ever, I am not obsessed with a Deftones' record.
I don't want to play GORE over and over again.

Too flat for me, I can't feel the (ENTIRE) band inside my guts as before.
In GORE, Chino is on the top of the moutains and everyone is only gravitating around him.

Each time I play a song or two, I feel the need to go back and play ancient Deftones' records.

This.
It's that feeling they create. It intangible, but the most important thing about them.

If you want a band that screams alot, with someone that can sing OK, play heavy and talk about killing women they like, slipknot is the better choice.

The Deftones always make me feel something thru-out the whole album. And Chino is also missing a LOT of his vocal swagger on this album. That magic is not there.

Hell, I felt that majic with Crosses, but I didn't even want to or care to. He made me, he forced me. I want him to have control like he always has and this album doesn't do it.

Hell, maybe it's on purpose even.
Maybe he is tired of the cycle, I would be by now. Maybe Stephen is tired of it. I don't know, but this record is screaming at me that something is wrong with them as a group. Maybe Chi had more influence than we could imagine. Death, divorce (another type of death), who knows what other family issues have eaten at them, but something is wrong and it's not good.

The Cyndicate

Quote from: shine down unshy on Apr 20, 2016, 09:21 PM
Lol, Cyn is that you

You fucking know it.
If you know me, kindly help me with some of these shit talkers.

The Cyndicate

Quote from: fireflyry on Apr 21, 2016, 03:59 AM
It's all good OP.

Music is subjective, sorry to hear your not a fan of the new album, but I enjoy reading what people dislike about it and it's never an issue of right or wrong when it comes to personal thoughts on music. This forum should be about more than just blind allegiance and personally I've never been a fan of people who just blindly rave on about how good an album is just because it's from a band they are a huge fan of. If anything I'm a million times harsher when critiquing releases from bands I enjoy and am passionite about than the ones I just dabble in, very much so when it comes to the Tones.

In saying for me personally I have always found it hard to comment on any Deftones album for the first few weeks, if not months, and I'd say I have struggled with at least half of their discography in regards to the first few times I have heard it. For example Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan both took a LONG time to grow on me as complete works. The first few listens really did'nt impress me apart from a few tracks that I instantly clicked with, usually the more aggresive ones. The albums as a whole though were often a struggle for me to get into at the time of release but one thing I find with much of this bands recent music is it grows on me with paitence and time.

As such I'm remise to comment to much or give my take on their albums at time of release as I think they are a hard band to reveiw in such a way, at least for me personally.

I will agree this album is highly, HIGHLY compressed. Not sure if Matt Hyde was the best fit tbh and part of me wishes they would get Terry Date back to produce as he seems to get the best sound from the band, especially when it comes to Steph and the guitar tone.

I also miss Chi and his influence. While I am a huge fan of Sergio he seems to be more on Chinos wavelength in regards to sonics and harmonics. I often get the feeling Steph and Chi were the ones to keep the band on track when it came to their aggression and would pull the reins in on Chinos influence outside vocals where as now he seems to have a lot more free reign. Of course thats complete assumption as they don't really talk about it but I have noticed the flavor just seems way different.

I agree with you.
Like I said on another post, I shouldn't have to force myself to like a song from them, they have always forced me.

I have loved every single album they have dropped.
The only one that wasn't instant was the Self Titled album, but after a few days it clicked and I loved it. Gore is way different. I was actually repulsed by it. Wanted to remove it right away and after a few seconds, I did. Then I put it back in and forced it. I am listening to it now, as I type this.

I like Hearts/Wires. I really like it.
But it's not a Deftones song. And the only reason I like it, is I see myself killing someone to that song, lol.

I want to like Prayers/Triangles, because I do a lot of Jiu-Jitsu and MMA things, so I find the lyrics kind of funny, relayed to that.

That's the extent of it for me. That's where I'm at.
I want to be where the people that like it are, but unless it gets remixed, has more headroom in the overall mix and somehow that feeling comes back, then this album is going to be trashed within the week.

The Cyndicate

No one makes millions in the record industry.
I have been involved with bands like SLS and ten years. I have done my own stuff. I did not state these things to say I would do a perfect job, it's to give a background on why I am saying what I am saying. As matter of fact, I typed it saying that I know how hard it can be to make an album work, but you ignored that and latched on to my qualifications.

I am sorry that in this day and age of give everyone an award, that you get offended when someone states qualifications that you don't have.

I am also heavily into MMA.
I was a successful computer programmer and hardware engineer. Iade a pretty popular cheat device as well.

In MMA I have trained many people, who hold many titles.
I am also an official. I judge, ref and inspect. Both kick boxing and MMA

Does this make you mad too?

B_S_79

I remember seeing them live during Taste of Chaos tour in 2005, right before SNW was released. Their stage presence was awful. They absolutely did not want to be there.

I was convinced they were done with after that tour and the release of SNW. (Everything I'm hearing from the guys about that session tells me I wasn't too far off)

I'm happy there's three more albums after I thought they were done for. I don't like all of it, but
I appreciate all of it.

The Gore mix stinks, but they will redeem themselves for the next album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kurtone

Quote from: The Cyndicate on Apr 21, 2016, 05:16 AM

I have been involved with bands like SLS and ten years. I have done my own stuff. I did not state these things to say I would do a perfect job, it's to give a background on why I am saying what I am saying. As matter of fact, I typed it saying that I know how hard it can be to make an album work, but you ignored that and latched on to my qualifications.

I am sorry that in this day and age of give everyone an award, that you get offended when someone states qualifications that you don't have.

I was a successful computer programmer and hardware engineer. Iade a pretty popular cheat device as well.

Apparently you're not qualified in picking up sarcasm. And I couldn't care less of what shitty bands you've worked with and or that you do MMA/kickboxing. But whatever makes you feel good about yourself on a forum.

elite54

Loved every Deftones album and never posted but just had to register and shit all over this one. Interesting.

The Cyndicate

Quote from: B_S_79 on Apr 21, 2016, 05:18 AM
I remember seeing them live during Taste of Chaos tour in 2005, right before SNW was released. Their stage presence was awful. They absolutely did not want to be there.

I was convinced they were done with after that tour and the release of SNW. (Everything I'm hearing from the guys about that session tells me I wasn't too far off)

I'm happy there's three more albums after I thought they were done for. I don't like all of it, but
I appreciate all of it.

The Gore mix stinks, but they will redeem themselves for the next album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope so.
If they do another one.

I just hope they fix whatever is wrong.

rainnyx4

Considering how amazing KNY was, I think Gore was just an artistic misstep. I'm all for them trying new things, in fact they should try new things, but sometimes new things don't work as planned. Gore is unfortunately, a case when it doesn't work.

The songs aren't terrible by any means, they just don't for the most part, work with the tone of what makes this band great.

They need to ditch the 80s butt rock stylings, and focus on expanding and perfecting the mix of their space, prog, shoegaze, goth, post-hardcore, and electronic tones. And also make sure Stephen is inspired and will put the effort into writing riffs that take more than 2 weeks experience to play. God, most of his riffs on this album were so juvenile.

The Cyndicate

Quote from: kurtone on Apr 21, 2016, 05:40 AM
Quote from: The Cyndicate on Apr 21, 2016, 05:16 AM

Apparently you're not qualified in picking up sarcasm. And I couldn't care less of what shitty bands you've worked with and or that you do MMA/kickboxing. But whatever makes you feel good about yourself on a forum.

Yeahhh,.. It doesn't work like that Homie.
You were using passive aggressive tactics as well as using a sarcastic remarks as a way to sling insults, without attaching the person's name you were talking about.

Typical coward internet behavior, but I'm not worried about it.
I shoved it down your throat and handled it.

Get back to me when you have any of those qualifications you talk shit about.

The Cyndicate

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Apr 21, 2016, 05:46 AM
Considering how amazing KNY was, I think Gore was just an artistic misstep. I'm all for them trying new things, in fact they should try new things, but sometimes new things don't work as planned. Gore is unfortunately, a case when it doesn't work.

The songs aren't terrible by any means, they just don't for the most part, work with the tone of what makes this band great.

They need to ditch the 80s butt rock stylings, and focus on expanding and perfecting the mix of their space, prog, shoegaze, goth, post-hardcore, and electronic tones. And also make sure Stephen is inspired and will put the effort into writing riffs that take more than 2 weeks experience to play. God, most of his riffs on this album were so juvenile.

I can agree with that.