Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

overall meaning of Gore

Started by jciraheta, Apr 20, 2016, 04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jciraheta

Shadow46/2

For me the album is about death. Coming to terms with it, learning to cope with the inevitability of aging.

I see the last three albums as a trilogy. Diamond eyes was about life, or more specifically, having a "positive zest for life," a renewed excitement and eagerness to experience life.

Koi No Yokan was about love. Both the  positive and the negative dark side of love.

And Gore ends the trilogy with musings on death (lmirl), wasting away (phantom bride), reflection and appreciation of what has passed (Rubicon), existential crises/religious commentary (prayers/triangles) and so forth.

Very curious what will follow from here...

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

dopeybanana

Quote from: Shadow46/2 on Apr 20, 2016, 07:29 AM
For me the album is about death. Coming to terms with it, learning to cope with the inevitability of aging.

I see the last three albums as a trilogy. Diamond eyes was about life, or more specifically, having a "positive zest for life," a renewed excitement and eagerness to experience life.

Koi No Yokan was about love. Both the  positive and the negative dark side of love.

And Gore ends the trilogy with musings on death (lmirl), wasting away (phantom bride), reflection and appreciation of what has passed (Rubicon), existential crises/religious commentary (prayers/triangles) and so forth.

I love this interpretation, and it's spot on.
How neat, I'm impressed.
How did you come to be...so blessed?

ANattyRat

Quote from: Shadow46/2 on Apr 20, 2016, 07:29 AM

I like that. I don't think there is an overall meaning, nor even any one true interpretation for song meanings, since Chino tends to just write whatever comes to mind without giving thought to the actual meaning. But I like your interpretation of it.

The album definitely has a darker and more melancholy feel to it than the last two, by a long shot. Not just musically but lyrically, very much so.

jciraheta

yea i think this album screams dead in many songs ,  even the inal scream is gore is the more representative momen or that, the moment we all have to pass and some people we love already have ....

sooniletugo

Most of the songs feature that classic contrast, being totally helpless to something mesmerizing (be it women, drugs, or something like that) that is ugly underneath the surface, and fucks you up.

Chino did say that he was telling an abstract story through the album and I can feel that.

LMIRL meaning is interesting to me. It talks about an ex-lover who drained his will, left him feeling empty, but he is about to be 'reborn'. Is he committing suicide though (I slip into these waves, deep into the calming waves/I put this gun to my head and I smile) so he can be at peace again?

kurtone

I had the feeling of an overall journey between two people in a different plane of existence. In the "someone who isn't me" podcast Chino talked about believing in a place that was bigger than all us that wasn't heaven. I get images of the women being reborn as something of a deity and the man being jealous and angry, but then being reborn himself in (L)mirl.