Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

phantom bride meaning

Started by fuzzylogics, Apr 22, 2016, 10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzylogics

finally listened to the album tonight while reading lyrics....

any thoughts on phantom bride being towards steph ?

wasting your life in a void? you create for yourself. then invite another guitarist.

just making conversation, but it fits with how steph has literally been a disconnect.

fuzzylogics

re: hole in the earth, not the first time hes been open to band goings

Freedomsoldier17

hard to decide which is the better song

cvthedrv

jciraheta

curently favorite song in the album

chino always seem to speaks metaphorically , but no in this case , this song seem very straight to me , about a person who has struglled with relationhips and even wih life in geneeral

thats my interpretation tho i could be wrong, sorry for my english 

sooniletugo

You're right. His lyrics in this song are very clear and straightforward.

snw9

Its about relationships for sure or something very abstract in his mind. He did mention his lyrics are just a reaction to what he is feeling from the song.
Code: [Select]

lungdamage

sooniletugo

"attached to this poison" does makes me think of drug addiction. Could also just mean harbouring negative thoughts. It's safe to say it's about someone being reclusive and avoiding life, because they've been hurt and don't want that to happen again. They are wasting away in the hole they've dug themselves to escape from the outside world. Missing out on new experiences. They don't want to face themselves either, maybe using drugs to numb the pain and distract them from the shittiness. It's funny that Jerry Cantrell is on the song, cause it's similar to the lyrics of some Alice In Chains songs that deal with depression and addiction, like Down In A Hole.

Pretty sure Rubicon directly continues this 'story'. He is urging the person to trust him and come out of their shell, he will help them "face the lights" and the crowd will go wild. It's a very uplifting song. But damn the verse is badass, and such a cool ending.

Hinojos

The vibe I initially got is somebody you love committing suicide, with the cause being drugs.

The first verse had me thinking of drugs (attached to this poison), but the possible connection of suicide hit me as he said "Can't rid of this thought of you rotting in this same cold space" in the second verse, this made me think of a grave. He can't rid the thought of them dying over this.

"Inside of this hole you create, you hide from yourself...attached to this poison," seems pretty straight forward to me; this person is trying to lose all sense of reality with drugs. "You spend your life trapped in this void, where you will stay always," the 'void' being the state of not being sober, where they always want to be. The next lines "To spend your life safe from emotion, this way you'll never be harmed again or confused," kinda just continues that thought. Rather than being sober and experiencing new things, they would rather be lifeless and sedated by drugs, not having to worry about everything. This even includes the earlier line "You don't feel anything out of the rain." Some people look at rain as a great thing or a sad thing, but either way this person won't feel or experience any of it...maybe not even realize it's there, because they are heavily sedated and put under.

"You waste your life relaxed in your void, where you will drain all of you," again straight forward to me; basically saying this person is ruining their own life.

The title may have nothing to do with the song, but I connected "phantom" to being a ghost, such as a dead person...and "bride" symbolized for somebody you love unconditionally, possibly literally a wife. It's a depressing thought if connected this way; your loved one throwing their life away on drugs to the point where it's too late, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Bifrost

Seems pretty straight forward - seems to be speaking about a girl, I assume (bride). who is dealing drug addiction and depression.

sooniletugo

Dead on Hinojos. And you're totally right about the title too. What about LMIRL though? Can anyone connect that title to the song?

chuckles

This song is about my ex who just gave me the boot!
I'm a member of Sharing Leaks...