Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore Elimination (round 7)

Started by Antonch, Apr 25, 2016, 10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Cyndicate

Quote from: HooiserBowhunter on Apr 26, 2016, 01:00 AM
Quote from: The Cyndicate on Apr 25, 2016, 09:19 PM
Dump Acid for God's sake.

Curious if you are a self title album fan? To me they have a similar feel.

Complex question.
S/T was the biggest disappointment for me, besides Gore. But there are songs that are very important to me.

Hexagram strikes a chord with me.
Makes me want to go overseas and fuck shit up, with zero regard for my life.

Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event will be played as the first dance song with my wife at my wedding. Because it's ironic and filled with emotion, which is double irony. BTW, I have been with her since 1999. Neither of us has cheated, or left, ever. I absolutely do not deserve her, she is far, far out of my league.

sing blue silver

Acid Hologram has kind of become my least favourite on the album. Things really take off after Doomed User and Acid is pure drudgery to get through.

Shadow46/2

Quote from: The Cyndicate on Apr 26, 2016, 01:38 AM

Complex question.
S/T was the biggest disappointment for me, besides Gore. But there are songs that are very important to me.

Hexagram strikes a chord with me.
Makes me want to go overseas and fuck shit up, with zero regard for my life.

Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event will be played as the first dance song with my wife at my wedding. Because it's ironic and filled with emotion, which is double irony. BTW, I have been with her since 1999. Neither of us has cheated, or left, ever. I absolutely do not deserve her, she is far, far out of my league.
I audibly "awwww"d

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

illthrowROCKS@U

That's precisely it. S/T is my favorite Deftones album by a long shot, and Acid has a very S/T feel to it.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

rainnyx4

Acid Hologram wouldn't fit on S/T because Acid Hologram sounds like they actually put some effort into writing the song. If they had written that song during the S/T era, it would've had 2 1/2 riffs to it max.

Inkblades

My vote is for Phantom Bride. I like it, but Cantrell has had so many better solos. Honestly, I prefer Chuck's Instagram clip...lol. (L)MIRL is a much more progressive, better-structured song, IMO. I love the changes in it.

IN WAVES

I voted Phantom Bride.

I can't believe Gore is not a favorite.  Acid Hologram must be the consensus best song on the album, from what's left!

from_musings

cantrell's solo is nothing special in itself,that was just hype i think. reviews spoke highly of it, that it stuck out, was the highlight of the song etc. I disagree, it's like the song pauses there for a while, like a small intermission. looking at the whole picture - it's nice that it's there, but the solo is absolutely nothing that steals the show by anymeans. just a little cogwheel in the machinery. the part where it blends with stephens stuff is awesome though

from_musings

ANattyRat

Leave (L)MIRL alone! I went from being ridiculously disappointed in it to absolutely loving it. Voted for Phantom Bride. Love the song, but hey, got to vote for something.

from_musings

for me LMIRL went from "really,really disappointing" to "meh". so i guess it's a grower

The Cyndicate

Quote from: from_musings on Apr 26, 2016, 08:47 AM
for me LMIRL went from "really,really disappointing" to "meh". so i guess it's a grower

If (L)Mirl goes this round, I'm done.
People need to dump Acid, or its gone.

Vesanic

Yeah, (L)MIRL. This chorus is atrocious.

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: MrVesanique on Apr 26, 2016, 01:46 PM

Best chorus on the album, in my opinion :/

Cullision

I sail on these waves.      Hey.

Yeah this song could have been much better, the "hey" through the chorus is so lighthearted and playful. Not qualities I listen to deftones for.

deftoneskoen

LMIRL is my favorite by far, definitely the most interesting song on the album.
To me it has this twisted feeling of a fake reality.

Hidalgo

Quote from: from_musings on Apr 26, 2016, 07:54 AM
cantrell's solo is nothing special in itself,that was just hype i think. reviews spoke highly of it, that it stuck out, was the highlight of the song etc. I disagree, it's like the song pauses there for a while, like a small intermission. looking at the whole picture - it's nice that it's there, but the solo is absolutely nothing that steals the show by anymeans. just a little cogwheel in the machinery. the part where it blends with stephens stuff is awesome though
i agree, it's a good solo, but the song stands on it's own regardless(it doesn't steal the show). i think Jerry made it in Stephen's skill set for sure(but Stef will refuse to play it anyway). but, i'm suprised, i consider the begining to hearts/wires more of a solo than even goon squad (h/w a guitar solo for sure i'm gonna say. "dallas" from eros he solos without it even being a question). so, really there's 1 from Stephen there, and 1 from Jerry on phantom. i kinda prefer the hearts/wires solo

and that technical riff in pittura is like a cky riff. freakin nice

Vesanic

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Apr 26, 2016, 01:57 PM
Quote from: MrVesanique on Apr 26, 2016, 01:46 PM

Best chorus on the album, in my opinion :/

Dude, come on... That's just exaggeration, it's not even a matter of taste at this point. I know I sound like the asshole right now but, seriously. Liking it is a thing but saying it's the best?

LG95

I could float here forever

Vesanic