Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore Elimination (round 7)

Started by Antonch, Apr 25, 2016, 01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LG95

'Atrocious' is a really daft description. You cannot possibly criticise someone for exaggeration if you're labelling that chorus as 'atrocious'.
I could float here forever

from_musings

Quote from: LG95 on Apr 26, 2016, 05:43 PM
'Atrocious' is a really daft description. You cannot possibly criticise someone for exaggeration if you're labelling that chorus as 'atrocious'.

Vesanique can't? you must be new here  ;D

LG95

Quote from: from_musings on Apr 26, 2016, 05:49 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Apr 26, 2016, 05:43 PM

Vesanique can't? you must be new here  ;D
I wasn't suggesting he's not allowed to. I'm saying there's something weird about criticising someone for exaggeration when you're labelling a chorus like (L)MIRL as 'atrocious'.

There's nothing wrong with not liking it, I just can't fathom why someone would describe it quite like that.

from_musings

i meant that was a typical Vesanique answer, and that's why we love him

Vesanic

Hahaha musings you're one mystery, mate.

I'll give you atrocious was harsh and subjective. But that hook was so promising dude, I felt betrayed, ya hear?  :'(

LG95

Quote from: MrVesanique on Apr 26, 2016, 06:07 PM
Hahaha musings you're one mystery, mate.

I'll give you atrocious was harsh and subjective. But that hook was so promising dude, I felt betrayed, ya hear?  :'(
Yeah, I get why you don't like it. It develops in quite a weird way, that song; like it promises one tone/idea, then shifts along and does the same with the next part. I personally really like it but, like most of the album, it almost feels like there's a concerted effort to avoid any kind of immediate atmospheric/emotional peak.

N0S3BLEED976

(L)MIRL really has my favourite chorus and is my fav song on the album. Can't help it. Doesn't sound happy or lighthearted to me, either. Has a longing feel to it that makes it pretty beautiful to me.

LG95

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Apr 26, 2016, 06:32 PM
(L)MIRL really has my favourite chorus and is my fav song on the album. Can't help it. Doesn't sound happy or lighthearted to me, either. Has a longing feel to it that makes it pretty beautiful to me.
That's pretty much why the whole album works for me. You have to really soak in it but to me it feels like there's a lot of unstated depth and there's something about that that makes it a great record.

sooniletugo

LMIRL's chorus is fantastic. That being said, I have just voted to eliminate it, regrettably.

Hidalgo

the chorus to lmirl possibly talking about sailing out & blowin your brains out off the side of the boat falling in the water? (so i put this gun to my head) first sailing, then slipping into the waves, then deep into the waves

fits most of the dark themes on the album. that's my take on it anyway

Vesanic

That's why I think this is taken out of proportion. You're pretty much recognizing it because it's not immediate and there's no real peak. You enjoy the "subtlety" in it. I get it. And probably, you think I don't like it because it doesn't stack a shit ton of layers with Chino screaming his head off. Which is a mistake, should you know.

Well, I think this subtlety is exaggerated. The way the song goes, it's probably these "left turns" Chino kept mentioning about the record. I love when a band I like experiments. But here, to me, it sounds as though they took left turns just... for the sake of taking left turns and say "Hey, listen, we don't sound like we usually do, right? Ain't that cool? We do fine art don't we".

I'm convinced that if another band had released this song, you wouldn't support it so much.

Don't see any disdain in this comment.

Hidalgo

when are you doing your review ves?

Vesanic

My bad Hidalgo I was talking to LG95

Hidalgo

nah, i confused this topic with the one i talked about doomed user in. derrrrr

The Cyndicate

If you want (L)MIRL to live, you had better vote for Acid, they are 4 votes away and MIRL is about to lose.

If that happens, that's disheartening.

Braincleaner

Acid Hologram is too good to go!

LG95

Quote from: MrVesanique on Apr 26, 2016, 08:19 PM
That's why I think this is taken out of proportion. You're pretty much recognizing it because it's not immediate and there's no real peak. You enjoy the "subtlety" in it. I get it. And probably, you think I don't like it because it doesn't stack a shit ton of layers with Chino screaming his head off. Which is a mistake, should you know.
I certainly wasn't thinking that the reason you dislike it is because "it doesn't stack a shit ton of layers with Chino screaming his head off". I totally understood why you dislike it, which is precisely why I referred to the way it starts with one idea and then shifts onto the next before doing the same thing with that. In other words, I was well aware that the reason you're not keen on that song was because you don't like the multiple left turns. I never made any direct criticism on that point. The only thing I criticised was your description of the chorus as 'atrocious', which you then admitted was over the top. I haven't tried to argue that you should like it.

Vesanic

Thank you for being comprehensive.

This place has changed.

LG95

All this discussion about (L)MIRL; I've had that chorus swirling around my head all evening!

jlaggot

5. Phantom Bride
4. Acid Hologram
3. LMIRL
2. H/W
1. Rubicon