Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Discography Elimination (round 6)

Started by krook, May 11, 2016, 11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krook

Diamond Eyes was eliminated in round 5.
I hate White Pony.

krook

Like last time, voting for the most overrated album.
I hate White Pony.

LG95

Glad to see the correct top three make it to this point.

S/T is the least good out of those but not by much at all.
I could float here forever

Penicks

pony

many songs like digital bath, passenger, change, street carp and knife party that i just skip when they come up in a shuffle, i barely have that with atf and st

B_S_79

I think the band is following these elimination threads and only playing what's left over at the end. :-)

/end setlist joke

Cullision

The ST and White Pony are my favorites, so voting for ATF. ATF is amazing, but it's much more straightforward "metal" to me than the other two which are more nuanced. Like if you wanted to introduce Deftones to someone who doesn't like metal, and you wanted to show them that Deftones is not just another metal band. You would probably go with WP.

downtownpony

I only jam BQAD and mascara on the atf album. On white pony, I regularly listen to feit, digital bath, and pink maggit... so I am voting atf.

illthrowROCKS@U

ATF is the weakest of the three. Great album, though!
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

nicklav

ATF has the least amount of filler for me. Each track is devastating and unique.

astynk

Match up time!

Back To School < Hexagram
Feiticeira < Needles and Pins
Digital Bath = Minerva (both are overlistened, can't be objective here)
Elite < Good Morning Beautiful
Rx Queen = Deathblow (both are 10/10)
Street Carp = WGTB
Teenager = Battle-Axe
Knife Prty = Lucky You
Korea = Bloody Cape
Passenger < Anniversary
Change < Moana
(it's amazing how the tracks coincide in order, filler tracks to filler tracks, notable ones to notable ones, that's why I've put so many equals)

5:0 self-titled wins

Back To School = My Own Summer
Feiticeira < Lhabia
Digital Bath < Mascara
Elite < Around the Fur
Rx Queen = Rickets (WP had a chance to get a point , but I love Rickets as much as RX)
Street Carp > BQAD (first point for WP! BQAD is good, but I overlistened to it)
Teenager < Lotion
Knife Prty < Dai the Flu
Korea < Headup
Passenger < MX
Change < Damone

8:1 atf wins

My Own Summer < Hexagram
Lhabia < Needles and Pins
Mascara > Minerva
Around the Fur = Good Morning Beautiful
Rickets = Deathblow
BQAD < WGTB
Lotion = Battle-Axe
Dai the Flu > Lucky You
Headup < Bloody Cape
MX = Anniversary
Damone < Moana

5:2 s/t wins

Thus, S/T > ATF > WP for me.

LG95

Back To School is not a part of White Pony.

rainnyx4

Don't know why you wouldn't use the original issue of WP.

Feiticeira > Hexagram
Digital Bath > Needles and Pins
Elite < Minerva (Was super disappointed when I heard Elite. Enough with the 0-2-3 riffage!)
Rx Queen > Good Morning Beautiful
Street Carp > Deathblow
Teenager < WGTB (Both songs rule though)
Knife Prty > Battle-Axe
Korea > Lucky You
Passenger > Bloody Cape
Change < Anniversary (Both songs rule though)
Pink Maggit > Moana

8-3 WP

Feiticeira = My Own Summer
Digital Bath > Lhabia
Elite < Mascara
Rx Queen < Around the Fur
Street Carp > Rickets
Teenager < BQAD
Knife Prty > Lotion
Korea = Dai the Flu
Passenger > Headup
Change = MX
Pink Maggit > Damone

5-3 WP

My Own Summer > Hexagram
Lhabia < Needles and Pins
Mascara < Minerva
Around the Fur > Good Morning Beautiful
Rickets > Deathblow
BQAD > WGTB (Both songs rule though)
Lotion = Battle-Axe
Dai the Flu > Lucky You
Headup = Bloody Cape
MX < Anniversary
Damone > Moana

6-3 ATF

Yep, S/T is just not very good.

WP>ATF>S/T

LG95

I don't think doing track-by-track comparisons is a good way of assessing the albums anyway.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: LG95 on May 11, 2016, 04:13 PM
I don't think doing track-by-track comparisons is a good way of assessing the albums anyway.

Yeah, I don't think so either. There's more to judge than just both track 3s against each other, etc. There's a lot more to it. Like, ATF probably has more songs that I like better than WP, but the ones I like on WP I like A LOT more than the ones on ATF. ST jas more filler tracks than ATF, for me, but it's still my favorite because it has 3 of my top 5 favorite Deftones songs.

Track by track isn't the way to go. A better way to tell might be giving each individual song a score out of 10 and adding them all up, averaging them out by how many songs there are on the album.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Inkblades

ATF and WP have the better individual songs, but S/T might just have the best mood and atmosphere out of the three. That album feels so warm and red.

That being said, I'm also going to vote it off right now.

Dryalex12

AS much as i hate to. i gotta go with ATF. as much as I love it, I just dont connect to a lot of it. WP and ST have some of my favorite songs from them (Digital, Korea, Pink, Minerva, Battle, Bloody and Anniversary)

LG95

For me, these three albums are the holy trinity of records from my favourite band. There's not a single song I dislike on any of them - there's the odd song that I merely quite like but for the most part, I adore these albums. White Pony has been my favourite record in the world since I was 14 and I don't see that ever changing; it's just an utter masterpiece and one that I never go too long without listening. Around The Fur's not quite got the same emotional resonance for me but it totally makes up for it with the fact that it's just non-stop belters from start to finish; I don't really trust people who don't like it to be honest. The self-titled is a touch off the other two in terms of quality but it's still an outstanding record and probably the record that's mood most directly relates to my own.

All three of them more or less capture everything I want in rock music and even though I like or love every album they've ever done, these are the three I hold above everything else. Fuck, I love this band.

nicklav

Quote from: LG95 on May 11, 2016, 10:42 PM
For me, these three albums are the holy trinity of records from my favourite band. There's not a single song I dislike on any of them - there's the odd song that I merely quite like but for the most part, I adore these albums. White Pony has been my favourite record in the world since I was 14 and I don't see that ever changing; it's just an utter masterpiece and one that I never go too long without listening. Around The Fur's not quite got the same emotional resonance for me but it totally makes up for it with the fact that it's just non-stop belters from start to finish; I don't really trust people who don't like it to be honest. The self-titled is a touch off the other two in terms of quality but it's still an outstanding record and probably the record that's mood most directly relates to my own.

All three of them more or less capture everything I want in rock music and even though I like or love every album they've ever done, these are the three I hold above everything else. Fuck, I love this band.

Really well said.

only pieces remain

Quote from: nicklav on May 11, 2016, 11:50 PM
Quote from: LG95 on May 11, 2016, 10:42 PM

Really well said.