Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The setlist... for real?

Started by Moana91, May 18, 2016, 09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moana91

What the fck is going on with them just playing 2 songs of Gore on the tour that supposedly is promoting the album?! It's a joke.

What Happened to You?
Around the Fur
Rickets
Rubicon

Those 4 plus MX and Prince being played is very cool, but the rest of the setlist is the saaame batch of songs they've been doing since 2010. How the fck are they not playing their own new shiny baby.

Good evening... and welcome to the white pony

B_S_79

Quote from: Moana91 on May 18, 2016, 09:45 AM
What the fck is going on with them just playing 2 songs of Gore on the tour that supposedly is promoting the album?! It's a joke.

What Happened to You?
Around the Fur
Rickets
Rubicon

Those 4 plus MX and Prince being played is very cool, but the rest of the setlist is the saaame batch of songs they've been doing since 2010. How the fck are they not playing their own new shiny baby.

It's been discussed quite a bit here. I have no explanation as to why they are playing two songs from their brand new album. They either do not like the album, do not like the songs, or they cannot pull off the songs in a live setting.

I don't mind those songs you mentioned. WHTY and Rickets and ATF and MX are cool tracks - but I would expect maybe some of these deeper cuts on maybe a SECOND tour after the album was released.

If the set list doesn't change for the "bigger" summer tour, I'm done seeing them live. I've always been against nostalgia tour.

ZapZaqZap

I want them to play Gore, AH & LMIRL live pretty bad.

Lucas_Moreno

Good question.
I wanna see some live version of "Phantom Bride", this track is gold

jaypayton

prolly realized the album was subpar and the songs dont work live (ie: Chino cant pull them off)

rainnyx4

Quote from: jaypayton on May 19, 2016, 12:09 AM
prolly realized the album was subpar and the songs dont work live (ie: Chino cant pull them off)

Dryalex12

I really dont think its fair for the fans too. I wish Chino would get over his distaste of S/T and SNW.  If Jonathan Davis can get through a whole tour playing the whole Korn album which including singing Daddy, Chino can sing those "depressing songs" granted they are depressing, but man....give and take dude

kurtone

I criticized the set list on Facebook. People didn't like that lol

Vesanic

If they don't bring it in Europe, I can see the riot

kurtone

Quote from: Vesanic on May 19, 2016, 02:08 AM
If they don't bring it in Europe, I can see the riot

Well according to people on Facebook the band aren't slaves and they don't owe us anything. And make sure to not say anthing about a $50 tank top on their merch store.

LG95

Quote from: kurtone on May 19, 2016, 02:54 AM
Well according to people on Facebook the band aren't slaves and they don't owe us anything.
Exactly what people say when someone criticises Tool for not bothering to write an album for ten years.
I could float here forever

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: LG95 on May 19, 2016, 03:10 AM
Exactly what people say when someone criticises Tool for not bothering to write an album for ten years.

But the ones they did write... 

I love my Deftones, and they're my favorite band, mainly because they've been consistently really very good over the entire course of their career.  But my favorite albums ever, probably at least the top 10 of them, aren't even from Deftones.  Even so, there's just something that keeps me from placing that band over Deftones..  like they don't have enough albums to warrant that, or they only have a couple good ones then fell off, or they only got good late in their career and the earlier albums aren't my thing, or something else.

Anyway, my point is, Lateralus is one of those albums.  I wouldn't even care if they didn't continue, the 4 full lengths we've got are too fucking perfect as it is.  I'd be worried they would taint their discography if they made another one, then again it would still probably be awesome...
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

LG95

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on May 19, 2016, 04:39 AM

I love my Deftones, and they're my favorite band, mainly because they've been consistently really very good over the entire course of their career.  But my favorite albums ever, probably at least the top 10 of them, aren't even from Deftones.  Even so, there's just something that keeps me from placing that band over Deftones..  like they don't have enough albums to warrant that, or they only have a couple good ones then fell off, or they only got good late in their career and the earlier albums aren't my thing, or something else.

Anyway, my point is, Lateralus is one of those albums.  I wouldn't even care if they didn't continue, the 4 full lengths we've got are too fucking perfect as it is.  I'd be worried they would taint their discography if they made another one, then again it would still probably be awesome...
Yeah but people still have every right to criticise a band for going ten years without releasing an album and yet you still get others blaring away "THEY OWE YOU NOTHING, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE BLAH BLAH BLAH." It's just sycophants who don't seem to understand that being critical of a band doesn't mean you're ungrateful. People are more than entitled to say that Deftones should change up the spine of their setlist and play more songs from their new album in the same way that they're entitled to say that Tool should write an album or just stop bothering being a band.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: LG95 on May 19, 2016, 02:42 PM
Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on May 19, 2016, 04:39 AM

Yeah but people still have every right to criticise a band for going ten years without releasing an album and yet you still get others blaring away "THEY OWE YOU NOTHING, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE BLAH BLAH BLAH." It's just sycophants who don't seem to understand that being critical of a band doesn't mean you're ungrateful. People are more than entitled to say that Deftones should change up the spine of their setlist and play more songs from their new album in the same way that they're entitled to say that Tool should write an album or just stop bothering being a band.

Yep, I agree. People are weird. I don't know if they think that makes them a "true fan," or what... but it's annoying.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

jaypayton

people have no right to tell a band to release an album..but they have every right to criticize a setlist since the band charges money to see them play.....if they were playing free concerts it would be a different story

Suq Madiq

Recent interview with Stephen on liquid metal, around the 6 minute mark he addresses the lack of new songs on their setlist

https://youtu.be/0oMcYNP9Skk

sooniletugo

Thanks bro. Well I hope they rehearse more new tracks, I'm sure the shows will still be a blast but it's so disappointing when everyone is hyped on the new album and they barely play anything from it, you know. They must realise that.

Still buzzing to see them live for my 3rd time no matter what they play though as I love every 'tones album. And unlike a lot of SL members, I still go nuts for Rocket Skates and Diamond Eyes.

LG95

Quote from: Suq Madiq on May 19, 2016, 10:18 PM
Recent interview with Stephen on liquid metal, around the 6 minute mark he addresses the lack of new songs on their setlist

https://youtu.be/0oMcYNP9Skk
They've been sitting on this album for a year, that isn't really good enough.

mrpelon94

he says they have responsibilities now?....well one being in Deftones and keeping it going and fresh..not it being a drag and just play the same set cuz its what they know cmon....i guess they'll change it a much as Steph moves from his stage spot....never.

jaypayton

basically steph says in the interview they are bored of playing the same old songs but dont feel like being bothered to get together to rehearse different songs LMAO..maybe Chino could take the time out of his busy schedule fronting 7 other bands???...the guy just admitted they are too lazy to be bothered to change the set,....unreal. if ever there was a death knell for a band...too fucking lazy to be bothered to rehearse...what a joke