Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

What Deftones song has the clearest meaning for you?

Started by Hinojos, May 22, 2016, 01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinojos

I don't know if this has been done before but I thought it seemed interesting.

Deftones' songs are very ambiguous and symbolic, you can get four different people to listen to one of their songs, and hear four different meanings of it.
Is there a Deftones song that you believe has a clear, straightforward meaning to anyone that listens to it, rather than it being open for interpretation?

For example, I think BQAD is simply just about replacing another girl with a new girl (I dressed you in her clothes), and he's wanting to run away with her because he loves her that much more.
One more example, I think that When Girls Telephone Boys is clearly Chino pretty much hating a girl, and venting throughout the entire song.

ANattyRat

Probably Phantom Bride. You shut yourself away from feeling things or getting close so you don't experience hurt.

sooniletugo

I would agree on Phantom Bride, that has the most direct and unambiguous lyrics I've heard.

BQAD and WGTB are two of my favourites and you're right about them too OP. They just perfectly capture those two intense emotions. BQAD gets that super happy excited feeling of wanting to run away with this new dream girl, and WGTB is the total opposite of that, never wanting to see this psycho bitch ever again. Still got some unclear lyrics though. What is meant by "and you like that every time you pull heart back, and her compact carving deeper in your lap" ?

Freedomsoldier17

Ashtiel

I'd say Leathers or Tempest.

Shed your skin, show your true texture. Rise above those that doubt you.

SMLiberator

Quote from: sooniletugo on May 22, 2016, 03:40 AMStill got some unclear lyrics though. What is meant by "and you like that every time you pull heart back, and her compact carving deeper in your lap" ?

I believe pulling the heart back means not compromising to a serious relationship or something. And AFAIK a "compact" is a pocket makeup kit, which obviously, you would put in your pocket. So I believe he's painting this image where they're just making out, and she's sitting on his lap. So basically, he hates her but can't escape the temptation of making out with her, and he doesn't let her know about that because maybe they could make out one more time if they ever meet again. So yeah, I think that one's got a pretty clear meaning.

Most songs from Adrenaline and Around the Fur seem to have a pretty clear meaning, at least compared to songs in the other albums where the lyrics are more abstract. There are also some songs that seem to have a pretty clear meaning despite using metaphors everywhere, like AOAUE (I can't quite tell if it is mourning the end of a relationship or someone's death though).

Also, Doomed User and Poltergeist seem to have a pretty clear meaning too, especially the latter.
i'm confused??

laurapalmer

I don't see any hidden meanings in Romantic Dreams

The Cyndicate

Again, Riviere is about La Llorona.

I mean, it's about as cut and dry as you can get.

Cullision

That's odd how people are describing BQAD as happy and upbeat, there's clearly some melancholy and pain in it.

Gore

Needles and Pins:
You're a star
You blaze out like a sharp machine
Like a whale's moan
  :D
Ok not the clearest meaning but great lyrics.
They probably make perfect sense when you're stoned

SMLiberator

Quote from: Cullision on May 22, 2016, 08:31 AM
That's odd how people are describing BQAD as happy and upbeat, there's clearly some melancholy and pain in it.

True. The way I see it, the lyrics are about an urge to leave the past behind. More specifically, a woman, evidenced by the part where he says "I dressed you in her clothes". It's like he's with this new person he really likes ("It feels good to know you're all mine") but at the same time, even if he might deny it, he kind of wishes she was more like his old partner, but he knows there's nothing left for him in the past and just wishes to be taken away from it. So "Be Quiet and Drive" would be another way of saying "stop thinking about it and move on". Perhaps it's meaning is not that clear after all  ::)

IMO, this idea is also described quite well in Acid Hologram, when Chino says "You remind me of her". He doesn't even mention any feeling of nostalgia through the rest of the song, he just throws this one sentence there and suddenly it gives you a whole new perspective about what he's talking about in the song.

BQAD still sounds quite happy and upbeat however, even if there's a deeper meaning in the lyrics.
i'm confused??

krook

Quote from: SMLiberator on May 22, 2016, 05:27 AM
Most songs from Adrenaline and Around the Fur seem to have a pretty clear meaning

Adrenaline has the most cryptic lyrics from Deftones, or any other band for that matter.

"Hear me spit on you wither I remold into gold and bury I from Sun"
"My activities don't cross but they create"
"We are beggars where blown"
"Peer side whore, and mother she won't drain herself and won't be caught to live"
I hate White Pony.

sooniletugo

Interesting point about BQAD, I always get a positive vibe from it but thinking more about the lyrics, you guys are totally right there. "I dressed you in her clothes" and "you remind me of her" does totally change the meaning of those two songs.

The Cyndicate

I used to cover BQAD for my girl.
It completely meant that for me, she had no idea. This was around 1999, we are still together.

Lucas_Moreno

Quote from: The Cyndicate on May 23, 2016, 09:55 AM
It completely meant that for me, she had no idea. This was around 1999, we are still together.

Happy to know that, and happy to see these kinds of topics.

Deftones lyrics in general are abstract and multi-meaning (this term exists?). And I think this is what makes Deftones so unique (besides the greatness in melodies, incredible live performances, etc haha).

BQAD gives me a nostalgic feeling. Every time

WGTB -> clearest lyrics in my opinion.

Srry for my english

The Cyndicate

Quote from: Lucas_Moreno on May 24, 2016, 03:46 PM

Deftones lyrics in general are abstract and multi-meaning (this term exists?). And I think this is what makes Deftones so unique (besides the greatness in melodies, incredible live performances, etc haha).

Srry for my english

Your English is fine.

Deftones songs are what you make them.

The only song that I can really say I know the general meaning of, is Riviere. Like I said before, that's about La Llorona. Which is also given away by its working title, Comanche, which describes the guitar riff as well as one of the places the legend comes from.

Lucas_Moreno

Quote from: The Cyndicate on May 24, 2016, 07:43 PM

Srry for my english

Your English is fine.

The only song that I can really say I know the general meaning of, is Riviere. Like I said before, that's about La Llorona. Which is also given away by its working title, Comanche, which describes the guitar riff as well as one of the places the legend comes from.

Wow. Creepy. Didn't know that

The Cyndicate

Quote from: Lucas_Moreno on May 24, 2016, 08:15 PM
Quote from: The Cyndicate on May 24, 2016, 07:43 PM

Srry for my english

Your English is fine.

Wow. Creepy. Didn't know that

It's funny, because lots of bands write songs about that legend and I was never wise to it until recently.

I think even RATM wrote one called Maria.
PJ Harvey wrote Down by the Water.

I mean I hear it all the time now, because of the Deftones.

Hinojos

Cool to see that some people responded to this thread! There are some interesting ones. BQAD has always been very simple and positive for me, so it's interesting to see it that way.

Another song: Rickets. I don't see it being about anything else other than a girl bitching at him, and it's getting to the point to where she's bitching at every little thing he does. It's getting old and he doesn't even care anymore.

The first lines "it's so simple to look at every little thing I do wrong, it's so simple to overlook every little thing I do right, right?" adds onto that as well. It's basically saying that when he does something good, she pays him no mind. However when he does something bad, she bitches at him. She doesn't care about or respect him anymore, so the rest of the song is basically him saying "so why should I?"