Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

White Pony Elimination - (Round 1)

Started by Ashtiel, May 25, 2016, 08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashtiel

If we're gonna start self-titled early, why not White Pony?

The track list has been shifted around a little as I wanted to include The Boy's Republic but there's no denying that Change and Pink Maggit are the true finale tracks for White Pony.

With that in mind, feel free to be as passionate as you want, and vote away!

rainnyx4

How did I know that Teenager, Lucky You, and Pink Cellphone were going to be the early front-runners for their respective albums? Those songs rule. Get with it losers.

LG95

Neither TBR nor BTS should be on here.
I could float here forever

Inkblades

Yeah, I agree. And why is TBR in between Passenger and Change?

Ashtiel

QuoteThe track list has been shifted around a little as I wanted to include The Boy's Republic but there's no denying that Change and Pink Maggit are the true finale tracks for White Pony.

hockball26

Someones least favorite song on this album is Feiticeira???? Like for real??? Maybe they are mistaken and think this is your favorite song voting.

illthrowROCKS@U

I don't mind Pink Cellphone (except the end is annoying and stupid), and I actually really like Lucky You, but I can't stand Teenager.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

sooniletugo

Had to vote Street Carp, never been crazy for that track.

only pieces remain

voted back to school. it shouldnt be on here

sooniletugo

for real. I didn't even notice it there.

Dryalex12

I dont really mind BTS all to much.

krook

Passenger gets my vote. Never understood why it's so praised. It's not even a Deftones song, man.
I hate White Pony.

Freedomsoldier17

Quote from: Dryalex12 on May 26, 2016, 05:21 AM
I dont really mind BTS all to much.

Same. I love the hard kind of in-your-face vibe, but it also has this uplifting and happy feeling to it too. It really reminds me of being young and rebellious, like going out to skate or shows to mosh instead of the preppy football games or whatever. On the other hand though, I can understand why people don't like it...its a pop/radio friendly rip off the dark, raw, and heavy Pink Maggit.

only pieces remain

i dont mind bts either but it wasnt intended to be on the original release. plus this is my favorite album of all time so something has to be eliminated

rainnyx4

Back to School is obvious pandering but it's still a fun song. Elite though, when I first heard it I was like "Seriously, going to write ANOTHER song based around a 0-2-3 riff?" Hate it when this band gets lazy or rehashes/reuses certain sounds. Voted Elite.

WickedBreath

Quote from: rainnyx4 on May 26, 2016, 07:37 AM
Elite though, when I first heard it I was like "Seriously, going to write ANOTHER song based around a 0-2-3 riff?" Hate it when this band gets lazy or rehashes/reuses certain sounds. Voted Elite.

That's fair, but I personally stopped caring about that a long time ago, because they recycle the same chord progressions so much. It's natural though, given how simplistic the riffs always have been (with Adrenaline maybe being the exception) and most of the similarly done parts still have their own identity in my opinion. Even beyond 0-2-3, they perfected the use of riffs utilizing the shifts between frets 0-4-5. That choice of notes was always something that made them and their sound very special to me, and even with the more traditional ingredients like 0-2-3, there was rhythm and nuance that packed them with originality. Maybe not in the case of Elite so much, but especially on the self-titled. At least Steph has usually strayed away from the typical open chugging that makes me cringe at a lot of modern metal bands.

I agree that the b-sides are a bit unnecessary. Sorry to be so boring but I voted for Teenager.

Inkblades

I also think Back to School is a fun little song, but on an album like White Pony, it doesn't stand a chance (especially when its original version is arguably the best Deftones song ever). The only song it could maybe beat it is Street Carp, and even then, probably not.

gwenudo

holy shit, didnt think that many people didnt like teenager. i mean i know it was basically a team sleep song, but lets be real, it has some of franks best work, and the lyrics are great as well.
Was it like it seemed?...